Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 07:59 PM

18 posts, read 31,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But I feel like I lied now, because my friends are actually in Cleveland. I don't have any friends in Cbus. But I mean...I could just make new friends, right?! Why the heck is this a requirement to take a job, even though I'm qualified?!
x2 on the over-thinking. She asked the question because she wants to understand your motivation(s) for moving to Cbus so they can understand if this is a long-term move. Cbus is a great city, but most moves to Columbus are not what I'd call "aspirational moves". If you were applying in LA or NYC... many recruiters wouldn't second guess it. 30-somethings from all over the US aspire to live in those cities. Columbus on the other hand, tends to have a regional draw from surrounding cities in Ohio, eastern IN, northern KY, and western WV.

I'd stick to the reasons you mentioned before (CoL, job opportunities, friends).

To answer your original questions:

Columbus and the surrounding suburbs are very gay friendly. Short North, Clintonville, Victorian Village, and German Village are especially gay friendly. SN is home to several gay bars, and it's common to see gay couples expressing public displays of affection in the neighborhood. The neighborhood is rapidly gentrifying, becoming more mixed (straight couples, college students, Baby Boomers, etc), and generally getting more expensive.

Brain Drain is something Cbus worked hard to counteract. I lived there from 2007 to 2011. At the time, the gay community mostly consisted of undergrad and grad students at OSU. The economy forced many 20-somethings to stick around, and also drew 20- and 30-somethings from Cleveland and Cincinnati. During the recession, Columbus worked hard to improve its image and make the city more interesting to post-college Millennials. I have many 30+ friends that stuck around through the recession and love what the city has become.

If Columbus offers what you want, and the move feels right, then I say go for it. Keep in mind, Columbus is not a magical gay mecca: Moving there may be a great decision, but won't automatically make you happy once the "newness" fades. I had a great time during my years in Cbus and met lifelong friends. I also did something many of my friends didn't understand: left a vibrant city teeming with social opportunities to move home to the Chicago suburbs (which are sparsely populated with gays). In the end, I look back on my days in Cbus and miss them sometimes, but I realized i can be happy anywhere. Go with what feels right and don't overanalyze the situation too much.

Last edited by bu__jonathan; 05-15-2015 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 09:36 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu__jonathan View Post
x2 on the over-thinking. She asked the question because she wants to understand your motivation(s) for moving to Cbus so they can understand if this is a long-term move. Cbus is a great city, but most moves to Columbus are not what I'd call "aspirational moves". If you were applying in LA or NYC... many recruiters wouldn't second guess it. 30-somethings from all over the US aspire to live in those cities. Columbus on the other hand, tends to have a regional draw from surrounding cities in Ohio, eastern IN, northern KY, and western WV.

I'd stick to the reasons you mentioned before (CoL, job opportunities, friends).

To answer your original questions:

Columbus and the surrounding suburbs are very gay friendly. Short North, Clintonville, Victorian Village, and German Village are especially gay friendly. SN is home to several gay bars, and it's common to see gay couples expressing public displays of affection in the neighborhood. The neighborhood is rapidly gentrifying, becoming more mixed (straight couples, college students, Baby Boomers, etc), and generally getting more expensive.

Brain Drain is something Cbus worked hard to counteract. I lived there from 2007 to 2011. At the time, the gay community mostly consisted of undergrad and grad students at OSU. The economy forced many 20-somethings to stick around, and also drew 20- and 30-somethings from Cleveland and Cincinnati. During the recession, Columbus worked hard to improve its image and make the city more interesting to post-college Millennials. I have many 30+ friends that stuck around through the recession and love what the city has become.

If Columbus offers what you want, and the move feels right, then I say go for it. Keep in mind, Columbus is not a magical gay mecca: Moving there may be a great decision, but won't automatically make you happy once the "newness" fades. I had a great time during my years in Cbus and met lifelong friends. I also did something many of my friends didn't understand: left a vibrant city teeming with social opportunities to move home to the Chicago suburbs (which are sparsely populated with gays). In the end, I look back on my days in Cbus and miss them sometimes, but I realized i can be happy anywhere. Go with what feels right and don't overanalyze the situation too much.
Well, if most 30-somethings aspire to be in places like NYC or LA, then isn't it weird that I'm 30 and interested in Cbus? I mean, I lived in NYC before and didn't last long because it was way too big of a city for me, and expensive. At my age now, I have enough wisdom to know that it would be a mistake to move somewhere with a very high cost of living and too big of a city for me.

But your comments have me worried now as to whether Cbus would be a good place for a transplanted east coast gay 30-something. I was hoping to be somewhere that's affordable, has jobs, leans liberal and has a large gay population.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:19 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
I wouldn't worry so much. You know your own preferences and I think it's already been established on your threads that Columbus aligns pretty well with those. Focus on learning about the companies that are offering you interviews, and articulating how your skills and experience would be a good match for their needs.

Seriously, life is too short to let every little bump on the road throw you off course. If you haven't visited Columbus yet, why not take a road trip over Memorial Day weekend and check it out? Other posters have suggested specific neighborhoods to visit - and what you can get for the $$$ is a world apart from Fairfield County, CT. :-)

Old 05-16-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I wouldn't worry so much. You know your own preferences and I think it's already been established on your threads that Columbus aligns pretty well with those. Focus on learning about the companies that are offering you interviews, and articulating how your skills and experience would be a good match for their needs.

Seriously, life is too short to let every little bump on the road throw you off course. If you haven't visited Columbus yet, why not take a road trip over Memorial Day weekend and check it out? Other posters have suggested specific neighborhoods to visit - and what you can get for the $$$ is a world apart from Fairfield County, CT. :-)
I was just worried that the Columbus metro might not have an abundance of gay 30-somethings, because of alleged brain drain that may have occurred.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:01 PM

18 posts, read 31,234 times
Quote:
Well, if most 30-somethings aspire to be in places like NYC or LA, then isn't it weird that I'm 30 and interested in Cbus? I mean, I lived in NYC before and didn't last long because it was way too big of a city for me, and expensive. At my age now, I have enough wisdom to know that it would be a mistake to move somewhere with a very high cost of living and too big of a city for me.

But your comments have me worried now as to whether Cbus would be a good place for a transplanted east coast gay 30-something. I was hoping to be somewhere that's affordable, has jobs, leans liberal and has a large gay population.
You may have misinterpreted my comments. I wasn't trying to dissuade you from Columbus. Rather, I was trying to explain the likely motivations behind the HR person's question. Columbus is a great city, but doesn't have the aspiration pull of NYC or LA (i.e., you don't often hear young people saying, "When I grow up, I want to move to Columbus"). It doesn't mean you should move to NYC or LA, and doesn't mean you should give up your dreams of living in Columbus. It just means, some people may not understand your move. For the most part, I personally wouldn't care what other people think, but it may require some explanation when it comes to job hunting.

I think Columbus has gotten better for 30-somethings (socially and dating-wise). One suggestion would be to try a website like OKCupid, see what the dating options for a 30-something in Columbus looks likes, and maybe talk to some people. Again, my point wasn't to dissuade you, but to say that quantity is not the only factor to consider.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:16 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
But Columbus is all those things, as you've already been told in several different threads. Don't take this the wrong way, but you freaking out every single thing someone tells you (on here or in real life) seems to speak to a personality issue. Either that, or the stereotypical East-Coast neurotic personalities have infected you to the point you need to get here ASAP

Old 05-16-2015, 03:54 PM

So do you guys still recommend Cbus to me? Do you think I would enjoy it and be happy? I'm so nervous about making a mistake. I mean, it could be a total mistake or it could be the best thing I ever do. Idk.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:11 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,593 times
Quote:
So do you guys still recommend Cbus to me? Do you think I would enjoy it and be happy? I'm so nervous about making a mistake. I mean, it could be a total mistake or it could be the best thing I ever do. Idk.
But if you don't go for it, how will you ever know? You're convinced that staying in CT will be a mistake, since you'll be forever single in a high-cost area.

If I was you, I'd base the move on the quality of any job offers you might get - if you land a great job that offers awesome career potential, coupled with your increased buying power being in a cheaper area, I'd think you'll come out way ahead by taking it. The gay life in C-bus will be the icing on the cake.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
You never know until you try. I like the whole 'small, big town' vibe that Columbus has.

/

Old 05-16-2015, 05:24 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
I think you could be very happy in Columbus if you find a great job and a neighborhood that meets your preferences. I'd suggest visiting Central Ohio at your earliest convenience and focusing on the areas recommended by other posters in this thread. Maybe some people move out of the area, but greater Columbus is well above the national average for the proportion of young adults and college educated residents - which correlates positively with the tolerance you are seeking. There are better examples of cities elsewhere in Ohio and the region that are plagued by "brain drain".

Sure, there is a risk in moving somewhere new, but also in staying where you are currently - a congested, high cost of living area with a higher concentration of older family households. It would also be easier to make a career change in the future if you desire, being in an area that is both affordable and economically well rounded, and with a top-tier local university. Columbus has been one of the fastest growing metros in the northeast quadrant of the US the last few decades, and attracts a broad cross-section of people - so with a positive attitude and good planning, you should be able to find your niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus