Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Columbus ever be the largest metro in Ohio?
Yes (definitely) 68 50.75%
No (never) 25 18.66%
Maybe 41 30.60%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 11:22 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
Seems low risk in recession. State government, a major research university with over 50K students, healthcare, insurance, which leaves finance as the only one of the top 5 that is a big economy risk.
Yeah state government, academia, and such things are all dependent on other people having money to pay for it. What happens when that money runs out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 02:57 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yeah state government, academia, and such things are all dependent on other people having money to pay for it. What happens when that money runs out?
It would seem that the state government and one of the largest universities in the country are more stable in times of economic downturn than private entities.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:46 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Seems low risk in recession. State government, a major research university with over 50K students, healthcare, insurance, which leaves finance as the only one of the top 5 that is a big economy risk.
But now recessions aren’t like they used to be when they were blue collar based. Now we have heavy white collar involvement in recessions. actually no job is recession thoughts; you really think all those categories are still recession proof, including insurance?

Old 01-30-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Actually...people are moving to Cincinnati for "Port" jobs....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrobe.../#4db3f88676b2

And the estimates for metro Cincinnati show that growth is accelerating, reaching .6% in 2017, not too shabby for a mature Midwest metro.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...in-latest.html
Umm, my post related to Pittsburgh not growing despite its rebirth as a tech hub, not Cincinnati.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:59 PM

730 posts, read 775,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Remind me of when the Ohio's State government suspended taxes in a recession? Higher education is a 4(+) year commitment mostly financed with loans. Also, tell about when mortgage holders and auto loan holders allowed borrowers to stop carrying insurance on what they have financed? Most healthcare is also kind of hard to avoid regardless of the economy.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:02 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
If you don't leave Ohio, chances are you move to Columbus. Young stable growth city. Honestly I think it appeals to a broader range of people from Ohio than any other city does in Ohio.
NEO has over 3.5M people that haven't moved yet. I know some people that have moved to Cleveland for the amenities. I'll leave it at that.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:45 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Umm, my post related to Pittsburgh not growing despite its rebirth as a tech hub, not Cincinnati.
The post to which you responded (#85) presented serious misinformation concerning Cincinnati, making midwest1's correction justifiable.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
The post to which you responded (#85) presented serious misinformation concerning Cincinnati, making midwest1's correction justifiable.
Umm, that’s not me in #85.

C’mon ‘Natians, keep up here.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:05 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
I was quoting your quote....which referenced no one moving to Cincinnati for port jobs....sad that this forum isnt as smooth and functional as a cocktail party....didnt realize my quoting your post left out the quoted quote.

But regardless...Cincinnatis growth is accelerating...Dayton is growing again...and the two are rapidly merging into a METROPLEX quite a bit larger than Columbus....with resurgent Middletown and Hamilton CEMENTING what the Great Miami River and I-75 foretold...

But the great news for Cbus is that it is now within an hour drive of a growing top 20 metro! Only adds to its appeal!

Last edited by midwest1; 01-30-2019 at 11:02 PM..

Old 01-31-2019, 07:34 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Remind me of when the Ohio's State government suspended taxes in a recession? Higher education is a 4(+) year commitment mostly financed with loans. Also, tell about when mortgage holders and auto loan holders allowed borrowers to stop carrying insurance on what they have financed? Most healthcare is also kind of hard to avoid regardless of the economy.
Remind me what good a 4 year degree in Sociology does. Or Communication. Or Women's Studies. Or Biology. Or International Affairs. How long before people realize what a scam this stuff is? Oh btw, I work in higher education, I see the inanity, wastefulness, and uselessness every day (and I'm at a well run university!)

As for your your other condescending patronizing objections, well, it just shows your lack of grasping what is really happening in the economy. Health care is not a healthy industry- costs are inflated exponentially higher than they should be, and health insurers play a role in that. What I'm saying is that those types of white collar industries are built on phony premises, made possible by easy money (thanks Fed!).

Do you really think such an economy is healthy? You surely must be smarter than that. By the way, I'm not saying this is unique to Columbus. earlier in here I said I see the same dynamic in Boston where I live, a city many would say is highly desirable nationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus