Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Columbus ever be the largest metro in Ohio?
Yes (definitely) 68 51.13%
No (never) 25 18.80%
Maybe 40 30.08%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:17 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Well. New England is basically college capital of the country, so again, ignore this at your own risk
I never said osu was going to close, you're just looking for reasons to not take it seriously.
New England being "the college capital of the country" is a non sequitur.

I acknowledged that higher education is not immune to economic downturn. My point was that unlike a factory, a large state university isn't going to up and leave during a market downturn or lay off the majority of its workforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 09:16 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I’m flattered to see so much conversation about Pittsburgh in this thread about Columbus. Never realized Ohio annexed Pittsburgh. I mean I know our accents are sexy, n’at.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:24 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You know, not everyone who disagrees with you is just some societal meme ("typical conservative railing against sjws" what a weak-minded, inane comment). Though true, almost all law and most engineering is pretty boring, sterile, and soul crushing. I will gladly add those. My problem with liberal art degrees is that they are a cheap imitation of liberal arts. But what do I know, I only have two liberal arts degrees and work in them every day of my life.

You may want to try reading what I said. I said you sound like a typical conservative railing about those things. There's a difference between "sounds like" and "is/are". Dismissing liberal arts degrees as useless is a classic conservative pastime, so your comment reminded me of that.

A lot of people have liberal arts degrees, so I don't see what makes you uniquely qualified to speak on it. You have played this "I know more than you" card far too many times at this point. In any case, my main disagreement was with thinking that regards certain higher education as worthless, especially from someone who admits to having 2 of those supposedly worthless degrees. If they were good enough for you, they can certainly be good enough for others.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 02-02-2019 at 01:36 AM..

Old 02-02-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Your faith in bureaucrats is admirable. And again...if you think Hamilton and Middletown (and heck...Lebanon Miamisburg etc.) are simply sprawl..you are greatly mistaken. The fact that two legacy river cities..with rapidly improving downtowns...lie between Cincinnati and Dayton seem lost on most in the forum.
Who sets MSA designations aside from the Census? You're literally arguing that it should be a MSA, a federal designation. So maybe you should take pause and examine your own contradiction on the whole "don't trust government bureaucracy!" while advocating that the same government bureaucracy declare Cin-Day to be a real thing.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Check out some of the I-75 sprawl on this short video

Hamilton's Marcum Park named one of the country's best public spacesWCPO - Oct 2, 2018

https://youtu.be/JqpUEbqF8V8
So a nice park proves there's no sprawl or that Cin-Day is real? I must be missing something.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:02 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So a nice park proves there's no sprawl or that Cin-Day is real? I must be missing something.
That park is in front of downtown Hamiltons first large-scale housing development..the Marcum.

I am just pointing out that there is URBAN redevelopment happening between Cincinnati and Dayton.

Further up the river downtown Middletown is seeing more activity than has been seen in decades. Id hope most on this forum should support the rebirth of two legacy industrial Ohio cities.

And your apparent ignorance of the role Hamilton and Middletown are playing in the emergence of the Metroplex...dismissing it all as sprawl...is quite evident.

Heres a video by Starbucks..yes Starbucks on downtown Middletown

More sprawl for you

https://youtu.be/bxnMC7_M0Uc

Last edited by midwest1; 02-02-2019 at 01:38 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 07:34 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Because I can't get inside your head and grasp your understanding of "sprawl," I only ask that you consider it more than merely some sort of cancerous growth pockmarking and contaminating land that it clings to. That's how remote researchers customarily catalog "Cin-Day" when viewed high up from a satellite. Although the Google 3D map function moves in much closer, utilizing that alone still isn't enough. What you so facilely dismiss as "Cin-Day sprawl" is far more than inanimate acreage, objects and buildings. It includes people with names, faces, and a multiplicity of lifestyles keeping them on the move within the entire area. The park video provided you an opportunity to vicariously experience and comprehend this down to earth vitality.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
That park is in front of downtown Hamiltons first large-scale housing development..the Marcum.

I am just pointing out that there is URBAN redevelopment happening between Cincinnati and Dayton.

Further up the river downtown Middletown is seeing more activity than has been seen in decades. Id hope most on this forum should support the rebirth of two legacy industrial Ohio cities.

And your apparent ignorance of the role Hamilton and Middletown are playing in the emergence of the Metroplex...dismissing it all as sprawl...is quite evident.

Heres a video by Starbucks..yes Starbucks on downtown Middletown

More sprawl for you

https://youtu.be/bxnMC7_M0Uc
There's a whole lot of development between Cincinnati and Dayton that is suburban sprawl. Obviously a new park/development in downtown Hamilton or Middletown wouldn't qualify, but I never said that to begin with and never said *every* development was sprawl. This is a total straw man on your part.

Um, congrats on Starbucks? Is that supposed to be impressive? There are like 50,000 of them in the US and a whole lot more around the world. Here, they literally build those across the street from one another. For living in 9 countries, you have a very weird definition of "urban".

Old 02-03-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Because I can't get inside your head and grasp your understanding of "sprawl," I only ask that you consider it more than merely some sort of cancerous growth pockmarking and contaminating land that it clings to. That's how remote researchers customarily catalog "Cin-Day" when viewed high up from a satellite. Although the Google 3D map function moves in much closer, utilizing that alone still isn't enough. What you so facilely dismiss as "Cin-Day sprawl" is far more than inanimate acreage, objects and buildings. It includes people with names, faces, and a multiplicity of lifestyles keeping them on the move within the entire area. The park video provided you an opportunity to vicariously experience and comprehend this down to earth vitality.
When I talk about sprawl, I'm specifically referring to low-density development that adheres to few, if any, urban principles (grid pattern, mixed-use, transit access, walkability, higher densities by block, etc.) Some suburbs are adapting some of those principles into parts of their limits, like Dublin with Bridge Park, but for the most part, smaller cities and suburbs most places would not qualify as "urban" in nature. I wouldn't classify the majority of development between Cincinnati and Dayton as urban, or even any but a small amount. Trust me, as we've all had this debate many times, I've looked and looked at that development. In any case, we're getting off point. Development patterns still play no current role in MSA designation.

Just to make it clearer, here are the types of development I would consider sprawl between Cincinnati and Dayton, which seems to be most of it, aside from vacant land or farm fields. Again, I'm not arguing there is no urbanity between the two places, only that it's a small percentage.
Springboro: https://goo.gl/maps/g3qkfrm9ENP2
Franklin: https://goo.gl/maps/qByni87QWzu
Miamisburg: https://goo.gl/maps/jWvRdenmw592
Middletown: https://goo.gl/maps/mhQrAaWXCc12
Middletown: https://goo.gl/maps/gT2S9EZ3G9q
Hamilton: https://goo.gl/maps/yZh6BjbH9aG2
So retail strip centers, low density housing neighborhoods, etc.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Um, congrats on Starbucks? Is that supposed to be impressive? There are like 50,000 of them in the US and a whole lot more around the world. Here, they literally build those across the street from one another. For living in 9 countries, you have a very weird definition of "urban".
While it's edifying to learn that our nation has been blanketed in Starbuck coffee shops, it's also easy to conclude that you never viewed the video from Post #126. If you had, you would have discovered, as midwest1 pointed out, that it wasn't at all about coffee. Instead, it was one of only thirteen Starbucks presentations with one aim in mind:
"Upstanders Season 2 is a collection of short stories celebrating ordinary people doing extraordinary things to create positive change in their communities.
These stories of courage and humanity remind us that we all have the power to make a difference."

https://stories.starbucks.com/produc...nders-season-2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus