Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city do you think is the most unique
Columbus 4 8.51%
Cincinnati 30 63.83%
dayton 3 6.38%
cleveland 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 09:01 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,108,229 times

Advertisements

Greater Cleveland is bigtime OSU football crazy. There are several regular radio and TV programs dedicated to it, and tons of OSU-themed sports bars. Sometimes it's almost if the campus was in Cleveland. A large part of this is because Cleveland is a sports-crazy city but with no major D1 college program in the immediate area.

But there are also quite a few Michigan and ND fans in the area, too, but OSU rules in Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
I've been to both. Cincinnati has better weather.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:15 AM

845 posts, read 2,832,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robluck9 View Post
Navigating the Charms of Columbus and Cincinnati

**Common Grounds:**

Despite their distinct identities, Columbus and Cincinnati share common threads. Both cities celebrate the essence of Midwestern warmth and hospitality, reflected in the friendliness of their residents. The Ohio River, while physically separating them, symbolizes a unifying element, fostering a sense of state pride that transcends city boundaries.

The Ohio River does not separate Columbus and Cincinnati.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:43 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've been to both. Cincinnati has better weather.
Better architecture too, in my opinion.

Old 11-29-2023, 05:30 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,148,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post

Despite C-Bus' growth and size, it's just an overall milquetoast bland kinda place.
You people always love to compare apples and oranges. Compared to its peer cities, Columbus is easily among the best. If you want some old, dirty, run down kind of place so that you can pretend to be living some kind of urban existence, Columbus is not the place. But if you're looking for a clean, newish, very livable city, I challenge you to find any place better in its peer group.

Old 11-29-2023, 06:55 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
You people always love to compare apples and oranges. Compared to its peer cities, Columbus is easily among the best. If you want some old, dirty, run down kind of place so that you can pretend to be living some kind of urban existence, Columbus is not the place. But if you're looking for a clean, newish, very livable city, I challenge you to find any place better in its peer group.
I find living in most of Columbus a lot like living in Mentor-Eastlake-Painseville, which I would consider a fair peer to Cbus overall. Though I'd have to give it to Lake County at the end of the day since it has lake recreation and access to a city.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:04 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I also lived in Columbus for over a year a couple decades ago and appreciate a number of aspects of the City: such as German Village, the OSU area and just down from OSU: now known as Short North -- when I was there, it was kinda funky/cool with record and head-shops, hookah joints and live concert venues -- now its more upscale/antiseptic. And yes, there's the cool Victorian mansion district just west of the Capitol (and about a street or 2 south... Most or all of the main culture: lectures, museums, art, etc. was in/around OSU's campus.

But aside from these areas, Columbus didn't move me... downtown was really sterile and dull to me besides a few pretty buildings (and Ohio's flat-topped statehouse is among the uglier capitol buildings in the country imho... But the overall paranoid boosterism to the extent of the Cleveland put-downs -- even back when I lived there was nothing about C-Town from the locals other than rants about crime, bad neighborhoods and bad weather -- as if C-Bus was something to really boast about even the city has less than half of what makes Cleveland desirable in my book.

Despite C-Bus' growth and size, it's just an overall milquetoast bland kinda place.
Columbus does not have an ethnic component to its make up, which imo greatly impoverishes the place. There is an "Italian Village" and a "Hungarian Village" and a "German Village" but none of these has any clear identification with these cultures. German Village likes to put some flags up but I would ask anyone to show me a German person in in the neighborhood that can speak the language or has any real connection to the place other than going to Katzinger's every once in a while. People's roots do not go very far back here.

I am familiar with the ethnicities currently growing in Columbus but I think it's pretty different. Most of these are in really poorly designed suburban areas and don't result in any kind of distinguishable enclave. People may tell you there is a real great Mexican or Somali place on Morse or Cleveland, but it's just in a strip mall next to a parking lot.

Old 11-29-2023, 08:16 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,010,132 times
I can't comment on Cleveland but I'd say Cincinnati comes out on top of Columbus. I grew up near Cbus and went to OSU but having spent a decent amount of time in Cincinnati I'd say it's more unique because of the proximity to the ohio river and the topology of southern Ohio.

Old 11-29-2023, 09:17 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,108,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I can't comment on Cleveland but I'd say Cincinnati comes out on top of Columbus. I grew up near Cbus and went to OSU but having spent a decent amount of time in Cincinnati I'd say it's more unique because of the proximity to the ohio river and the topology of southern Ohio.
I find Cincy far more historical, interesting and desirable than C-Bus on so many levels.

Old 11-30-2023, 02:43 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
I challenge you to find any place better in its peer group.
Im confised, arent Cincy and Cleveland in C-bus peer group? or are we no longer going by MSA? what peer you referring? Does it have to be a capitol city to be a peer? Look Ma...somehow the goalposts are moving around again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus