Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city do you think is the most unique
Columbus 4 8.51%
Cincinnati 30 63.83%
dayton 3 6.38%
cleveland 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 06:07 AM

3,257 posts, read 1,411,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I still contend that "Buckeyes" does not conflate to "Columbus" for most people, even for OSU alum living in Columbus.

Nationally I"d bet more people would correctly associate Ann Arbor, Gainesville etc. with their respective teams than Columbus.
Interesting. I never really considered that before….I think you are right, but it might be because Columbus is not just a college town, whereas I think of Ann Arbor, Gainesville, Athens, College Station, etc. as being college towns. I don’t think of LA when I think of UCLA or USC, or Austin when I think of UT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 06:38 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Interesting. I never really considered that before….I think you are right, but it might be because Columbus is not just a college town, whereas I think of Ann Arbor, Gainesville, Athens, College Station, etc. as being college towns. I don’t think of LA when I think of UCLA or USC, or Austin when I think of UT.
If it wasnt for big government, Columbus would be just a college town.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:15 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
tbh would have been better just as a college town. Athens for example is a way cooler place than Columbus. Ditto Kent.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:44 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
tbh would have been better just as a college town. Athens for example is a way cooler place than Columbus. Ditto Kent.
True that, Im a bit pressed to find very many redeeming quaiities brought about by concentrated precence of state govenment. Where college towns in and of themselves hold much charm, amenities, and youthful energy.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
this is so tiresome. lower case c and capital C is the explanation you are ignoring. No Orthodox consider themselves in league with Roman Catholicism.

This is honestly just so stupid and major cope for Columbus being by far the most unremarkable, boring, overrated place in the midwest. For God's sake. I wish I lived just about anywhere else in Ohio. Canton or Warren would be a breath of fresh air.
Obviously different strokes for different folks. I think Columbus is a nice town….I’ve never lived there, so maybe living there is different than visiting.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I haven’t been to Athens in 10+ years, but I couldn’t imagine living there. Too small for me, but I can see how somebody who wants to live in a true college town would be attracted to the place. I think if OU were as big as OSU and it were in Athens, it might be a better fit(for me).

Last edited by WVNomad; 12-28-2023 at 09:04 AM..

Old 12-28-2023, 09:04 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,144,296 times
Quote:
this is so tiresome. lower case c and capital C is the explanation you are ignoring. No Orthodox consider themselves in league with Roman Catholicism.
Orthodox is the very definition of Catholic, Big C or small c. You're trying to give away the term "Catholic" to the Romans by default.

By the way, even though I said I'm catholic, when I use the term, I paint with a broad brush. No need to get into personal minutiae here, but since you wanted to argue over this point, I am orthodox.

If you're Orthodox and you don't understand that very little separates Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism, you're stupid.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Government is big for sure, but Columbus has a number of Fortune 500/1000 companies headquartered there, some major medical facilities (Children’s comes to mind), some major retail (Easton), professional sports, a decent airport, etc. Seems like a “real” city, no?

Old 12-28-2023, 09:05 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,144,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm still curious why the contest (at least per the title) isn't between Cleveland and Cincinnati. Columbus just seems...blah.
If the question is, which of these two is the bigger s*** hole, those two are the more appropriate candidates.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:11 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
If the question is, which of these two is the bigger s*** hole, those two are the more appropriate candidates.
There you go; a Columbusite's pure inferiority on full display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus