Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 08:32 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The Indians/Guardians have the 4th best record in MLB in the last decade behind only the Dodgers, Astros, and Yankees.
Yeah, you'll see some weird minimizing of Ohio pro sports coming out of central Ohio, presumably to prop up the illusion that NCAA football has the world's attention.

Reds also pretty dominant with some of the most feared squads ever, Indians in the 40's-50's dominated baseball, Bengals played in some of the most memorable Super Bowls ever, Cavs butted heads with the 80-90's Bulls and Pistons and produced one of the leagues great players who led them to a title.

All of that is small time compared to a Buckeye-Youngstown State football game though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 11:26 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,144,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Indians, Reds, Bengals, Cavs, heck even the Browns from the 80's might beg to differ.

Cavs were a consistently good team for an awful long time.
The '80s were 40 years ago.

Old 12-13-2023, 05:38 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Yeah, you'll see some weird minimizing of Ohio pro sports coming out of central Ohio, presumably to prop up the illusion that NCAA football has the world's attention.

Reds also pretty dominant with some of the most feared squads ever, Indians in the 40's-50's dominated baseball, Bengals played in some of the most memorable Super Bowls ever, Cavs butted heads with the 80-90's Bulls and Pistons and produced one of the leagues great players who led them to a title.

All of that is small time compared to a Buckeye-Youngstown State football game though.
Not to mention the Bengals were playing in the Super Bowl in February 2022. Ohio State has lost to Michigan 3 years in a row i the meantime.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The Indians/Guardians have the 4th best record in MLB in the last decade behind only the Dodgers, Astros, and Yankees.
Quote:
Not to mention the Bengals were playing in the Super Bowl in February 2022. Ohio State has lost to Michigan 3 years in a row i the meantime.
Do you understand what the phrase sustained success means?

I must have missed those three World Series the Indians won. Could you please provide a link?

And REALLY? Are you seriously going to argue that the Bengals or Browns have had sustained success? I must have missed their three Super Bowl victories as well. Could you please provide a link for that one?

Haters.

Old 12-13-2023, 12:26 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Do you understand what the phrase sustained success means?

I must have missed those three World Series the Indians won. Could you please provide a link?

And REALLY? Are you seriously going to argue that the Bengals or Browns have had sustained success? I must have missed their three Super Bowl victories as well. Could you please provide a link for that one?

Haters.
The Indians/Guardians have been to 3 World series in my lifetime since 1995. They are one of the winningest teams in my lifetime. This is a fact. I consider this sustained success. This transcends star players, managers, etc. It's impressive. 13 playoff apperances since 1995. How is this not "sustained" success?

Bengals have been pretty good the last 3 years after a long time of being terrible. Browns too. Being in the Super Bowl literally last year is a pretty big deal for Bengals fans.

The Cavs made the finals 4 times and won a championship.

My point is that Ohio isn't really that starved for a good team to cheer. Usually someone is good at any given time.

Old 12-13-2023, 12:44 PM

490 posts, read 863,445 times
Given the number of pro sports teams in Ohio, it really is stunning the lack of championships over the last 40+ years.

The Reds snagged the World Series in 1990 (unreal sweep of the A's), the Cavs won the NBA title in 2016, and the Crew has MLS titles in 2008, 2020 and 2023. The Bengals, Browns, Guardians and Blue Jackets have won nada, though the Bengals and Guardians have come darn close.

By contrast, look at the pro teams in Massachusetts, all of Boston's teams have won a title in the last 40, some multiple. Chicago's teams all have titles in the last 40. The majority of California's teams as well (Padres, Chargers, Sacramento Kings and Sharks don't).

Old 12-13-2023, 03:10 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
I think the difference between pro and college gets lost sight of in central Ohio sometimes.

The Bengals have played in THREE Super Bowls, including taking Montana and Co. down to the wire twice.

I remember in high school when Brad Daugherty was on the cover of SI and the Cavs were picked to win it all. If you're too young to remember/care, go check out some NBA clips from 1991 and see how much more competitive it was then.

These are the BIG LEAGUES, so yes, even a 9-7 random season from the Browns is a bigger deal than the Buckeyes beating Big State U in the Cotton Bowl.

Old 12-13-2023, 05:35 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Being in the Super Bowl literally last year is a pretty big deal for Bengals fans.
The local sports homers around here have died and gone to heaven on that event alone.

Old 12-13-2023, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I think the difference between pro and college gets lost sight of in central Ohio sometimes.

The Bengals have played in THREE Super Bowls, including taking Montana and Co. down to the wire twice.

I remember in high school when Brad Daugherty was on the cover of SI and the Cavs were picked to win it all. If you're too young to remember/care, go check out some NBA clips from 1991 and see how much more competitive it was then.

These are the BIG LEAGUES, so yes, even a 9-7 random season from the Browns is a bigger deal than the Buckeyes beating Big State U in the Cotton Bowl.
How many Super bowls have the Bengals won? That's right. Zero.

And you have to go back 60 years for the Browns to win anything. Correction. That would be Baltimore.

Old 12-14-2023, 04:55 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
How many Super bowls have the Bengals won? That's right. Zero.

And you have to go back 60 years for the Browns to win anything. Correction. That would be Baltimore.
It would be probably redundant at this point to mention that cbus lacks a pro football team...kinda strange a megalopolis such as the OSU host city lacks a...well ya...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus