Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 07:34 AM

140 posts, read 69,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I agree with your assessment. It's rather bad form to go to a board dedicated to the state of Ohio (and Columbus in particular) and bash the state of Ohio. That said, since the OP has now LIVED in both states for awhile, perhaps her opinion should carry a little more weight than someone who has just visited both states for a few weeks.

That was the whole reasoning behind my post. I am still waiting for a few of the posters who went out of their way to say it was wrong to mention something about the OP and their word choices in the first post. Please send over some responses about how others were wrong in what they said. I would be interested in reading what you have to say.

If a thread was created in any state's forum and started off with wording like that, I would expect others to come to that state's defense, especially if we are praising Florida in so many areas where it just isn't livable, especially these days. I get it, Florida gets a lot of hate, but that doesn't make it right to hate on other states. People should say something if that poster is wrong. If you have an opinion, fine, I can respect that. But the way the first post went, it is clear this poster is a troll. I agree with the others, go and move. See ya.

If they (the OP) were genuine and asked questions more along the lines of how to cope with the seasonal changes, it would be different. What options do they have as far as neighborhoods to go to, outdoor hiking (if they are into that), places to eat, etc. But that is not what they did. They said Tampa blows this city out of the water and is far more cosmopolitan. Outside of portions of Miami, there is essentially nothing in Florida I would call cosmopolitan. I take an interest in dense, walkable urban cities. Tampa is not at all cosmopolitan.

Like I said earlier, I lived in Florida for a few years and most recently visited Tampa in January. Its city neighborhoods were bland at best, and the architecture looked like it came straight out of the 80s/90s with no redeemable features. Tampa is forgettable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 11:56 PM

14 posts, read 3,081 times
Well, you can’t say gay in either place.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:32 PM

231 posts, read 811,691 times
I could not stand Columbus, or most Ohio from Nov to Mid-April, the Gloomy, then Snow/Icy, then RAINS. Even nursery advise me to plant tomato earliest in May, pamper 3 months, harvest only 2 months, then dies.

Finally when good weather roll around, what to do here? Columbus ZOO!!! lol. lol. Most foodie would head to Chicago, Toronto, Atlanta, New York etc. Too flat, limited water activities as too few big lakes/ocean

Pathetic housing price in Ohio, as people move away with their feet. Ohio losing congress seat every decade. https://www.travelandleisure.com/bes...n-ohio-8623972 .

You got SCREWED by living in Ohio, as other more desirable states/cities soar in housing price in last 20 years. Sooner or later, you could not even afford to get out and retired to other states. Ohio snow birds used to easily afford a house in Florida in year 2000, but now???

Oh wait, last joke here. Co-lame-bus people said this is a GREAT Place to raise a family, because GREAT Education here way better than FL. Oh well .... #28 vs #43
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...f-florida-1535
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ohio-state-6883

Old 04-30-2024, 11:11 AM

254 posts, read 78,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftong View Post
I could not stand Columbus, or most Ohio from Nov to Mid-April, the Gloomy, then Snow/Icy, then RAINS. Even nursery advise me to plant tomato earliest in May, pamper 3 months, harvest only 2 months, then dies.

Finally when good weather roll around, what to do here? Columbus ZOO!!! lol. lol. Most foodie would head to Chicago, Toronto, Atlanta, New York etc. Too flat, limited water activities as too few big lakes/ocean

Pathetic housing price in Ohio, as people move away with their feet. Ohio losing congress seat every decade. https://www.travelandleisure.com/bes...n-ohio-8623972 .

You got SCREWED by living in Ohio, as other more desirable states/cities soar in housing price in last 20 years. Sooner or later, you could not even afford to get out and retired to other states. Ohio snow birds used to easily afford a house in Florida in year 2000, but now???

Oh wait, last joke here. Co-lame-bus people said this is a GREAT Place to raise a family, because GREAT Education here way better than FL. Oh well .... #28 vs #43
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...f-florida-1535
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ohio-state-6883
I would take a little snow and four distinct seasons over oppressive heat and hurricanes. Snow wouldn't destroy my house. Supposed to be a record year this year for hurricanes, and being La Nina, they are more likely to hit the East Coast- but especially Florida. And with climate change, being able to even enjoy the weather in Florida outside of a week in January becomes less and less likely. But hey, enjoy your skyrocketing insurance premiums.

Old 04-30-2024, 12:31 PM

6,054 posts, read 3,774,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
I would take a little snow and four distinct seasons over oppressive heat and hurricanes. Snow wouldn't destroy my house. Supposed to be a record year this year for hurricanes, and being La Nina, they are more likely to hit the East Coast- but especially Florida. And with climate change, being able to even enjoy the weather in Florida outside of a week in January becomes less and less likely. But hey, enjoy your skyrocketing insurance premiums.
Ha! Bunch of wusses!

Today is a typical day for April 30 here in central Florida. Nice and warm, mostly sunny skies with a high of about 85. Earlier this morning (9 AM), I went shotgun shooting (sporting clays) for nearly 2 hours.

Then, on the way back home I noticed some people still at the pickleball courts on the way in the gate at our community, so I stopped and played a game of pickleball. Lots of fun.

Then I came home and had a nice lunch. Now I'm just sitting here and playing on the computer as I contemplate whether to play 9 holes of golf a little later this afternoon at the course right here in our community. I can see the course right outside my window.

I suppose there might be SOME places in the country that offer more things to do and better weather to go along with it, but very few would beat the price, recreational opportunities, and the weather that we have where I'm at right now. You can have your snow. I had enough of that years ago!

BTW, aren't a lot of midwestern states (from Texas to Minnesota and eastward) getting hammered by tornadoes this week with more to come today and tomorrow? It seems that every location has some weather conditions that they would rather not have.

Old 04-30-2024, 01:55 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,095,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNorth View Post
I was just in Tampa in January. We were told to go to Ybor City, but it was not very active and had a lot of missing teeth in the business district. I believe this wasn't long after a high profile shooting that took place in the neighborhood. A lot of the new surrounding residential infill was that typical cheap Florida stucco. We left and went to the Channel District. It was mediocre at best. Columbus has far more interesting inner ring neighborhoods that are far more vibrant from a pedestrian experience to the diversity in its offerings.

Tampa "very cosmopolitan"... you're trying too hard. Not even close.

I left Florida after 3 years in university. I go back a few times each year. There is nothing attractive about that state. The economy has very little diversity, so much of the incomes are at a terrible scale, and the cost of living has skyrocketed. There is nothing walkable about the state - multilane roads exists everywhere with high speed limits. It's flat. Insurance is going through the roof.

What I often find on these sites are people who have either retired or thought moving down south was a point to brag to those up north how better things are. In reality, I think most people don't want to discuss how quality of life actually goes down so they find things they think they can brag about, but get upset when people up north call them out on it.
This is a very biased review of Tampa. The traffic and influx tell a different story. I know no one that has placed Ohio on their radar. Actually only 1 coworker that was upset on the rent prices in Tampa. So he moved back to his hometown up there. When I hear about Florida people moving, its usually Georgia or the Carolinas, Tenn. But Ohio. Who the hell would do that? The weather alone would deter most people.

Old 04-30-2024, 04:00 PM

254 posts, read 78,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Ha! Bunch of wusses!

Today is a typical day for April 30 here in central Florida. Nice and warm, mostly sunny skies with a high of about 85. Earlier this morning (9 AM), I went shotgun shooting (sporting clays) for nearly 2 hours.

Then, on the way back home I noticed some people still at the pickleball courts on the way in the gate at our community, so I stopped and played a game of pickleball. Lots of fun.

Then I came home and had a nice lunch. Now I'm just sitting here and playing on the computer as I contemplate whether to play 9 holes of golf a little later this afternoon at the course right here in our community. I can see the course right outside my window.

I suppose there might be SOME places in the country that offer more things to do and better weather to go along with it, but very few would beat the price, recreational opportunities, and the weather that we have where I'm at right now. You can have your snow. I had enough of that years ago!

BTW, aren't a lot of midwestern states (from Texas to Minnesota and eastward) getting hammered by tornadoes this week with more to come today and tomorrow? It seems that every location has some weather conditions that they would rather not have.

Honestly, most of that legitimately sounds like a Boomer wet dream, so not for me, thanks.

Florida is typically one of the top 5 states for tornadoes every year.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
Before Hurricane arrive, me and family would escape for 1 week vacation somewhere far and safe.

Tornado is deadlier as it comes without warning, just like the one that hit east Columbus couple months ago. Most majority tornados in FL are spawned by hurricanes, which means its safer than Ohio tornados.

Insurance is high in coastal area but lower if the house is over 30m inland. But hey, property taxes are much lower than Ohio, plus No State and No City income taxes. For high earners, financially it beats the hell out of Co-lame-bus and OH.

And losing 5 months of life yearly to boredom in Columbus, how's that measured? Scorching heat? No worry, I get my outdoor exercise and routines all done in the early morning, or late evening in that 4 months of summer. Get to head out enjoy 365 days a year.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:30 PM

Here's a joke, and a sad truth about Co-lame-bus.

When I first settled Columbus, locals said this is a GREAT place to raise a family. I asked Why? "Oh because no Distractions" was the answer.

Later I found that "Distractions" means no fun like Disney/Universal, No outdoor hiking hills, No water activities, no fishing, no nothing for 5 months, no great authentic foods, no easy casual gardening as winter kill most vege fruit, no advance career opportunities, etc. No Nothing! lol.

And the pathetic thing is, all the governors to the common folks all chest thumping singing Ohio is GREAT State! Guess what? If you don't admit a problem, then it is always there even after 50 years, as no one want to mitigate it.

And decades after decades, Ohio just losing congress seats, housing price stagnant. You are losing tons of opportunities in OH and Co-lame-bus for owning a house. I would rather pay for higher insurance and see my house value x4 in 20 years! That way, at least I have a choice to sell and retire somewhere.

It's all come down to the S-T-U-P-I-D-I-T-Y attitude, head in the sand. GREAT STATE! lol. lol

Old 05-01-2024, 02:51 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,540,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateTeller View Post
I’m miserable now. Sure it’s cheaper, but at what cost to mental health? Tampa Bay area blows this city out of the water. How do you deal with all these gray days? Also it seems like everyone here is born/raised in Ohio and has never lived anywhere else? People in Tampa are cool…very cosmopolitan, interesting, and well healthier. I’m praying for summer. Does it get better over time?
Tampa Bay is not "cosmopolitan" or "sophisticated". Let's get that out of the way.

I think your best bet is to move back to Tampa Bay right away. Enjoy the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: