Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 07:55 AM

254 posts, read 78,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftong View Post
Before Hurricane arrive, me and family would escape for 1 week vacation somewhere far and safe.

Tornado is deadlier as it comes without warning, just like the one that hit east Columbus couple months ago. Most majority tornados in FL are spawned by hurricanes, which means its safer than Ohio tornados.

Insurance is high in coastal area but lower if the house is over 30m inland. But hey, property taxes are much lower than Ohio, plus No State and No City income taxes. For high earners, financially it beats the hell out of Co-lame-bus and OH.

And losing 5 months of life yearly to boredom in Columbus, how's that measured? Scorching heat? No worry, I get my outdoor exercise and routines all done in the early morning, or late evening in that 4 months of summer. Get to head out enjoy 365 days a year.
There are generally tornado warnings, you know. And as I said, Florida is typically near the top of all states for them. Hurricane-spawned tornadoes does not actually sound better at all. Tornadoes do not devastate who sections of a state, either, no matter how strong they are. Hurricanes are typically the top disasters every single year, both in costs and deaths. Ohio is generally very safe from natural disasters.

Lower than the coast, maybe, but by no means cheap or not also rising. And it's not just housing insurance going way up. Everything else is, too. Florida has one of the worst cost of living to wage ratios in the nation.

"4 months of summer"? Who are you trying to kid. I have family down there, and it's summer for a good 9 months of the year, and during most of those months, people are just hopping from one air-conditioned building to another. They're not spending time outside unless they're at the beach. And it's too humid even in the mornings/late evenings to do much physical exercise outside. It's absolutely miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Here's a joke, and a sad truth about Co-lame-bus.

When I first settled Columbus, locals said this is a GREAT place to raise a family. I asked Why? "Oh because no Distractions" was the answer.

Later I found that "Distractions" means no fun like Disney/Universal, No outdoor hiking hills, No water activities, no fishing, no nothing for 5 months, no great authentic foods, no easy casual gardening as winter kill most vege fruit, no advance career opportunities, etc. No Nothing! lol.

And the pathetic thing is, all the governors to the common folks all chest thumping singing Ohio is GREAT State! Guess what? If you don't admit a problem, then it is always there even after 50 years, as no one want to mitigate it.

And decades after decades, Ohio just losing congress seats, housing price stagnant. You are losing tons of opportunities in OH and Co-lame-bus for owning a house. I would rather pay for higher insurance and see my house value x4 in 20 years! That way, at least I have a choice to sell and retire somewhere.

It's all come down to the S-T-U-P-I-D-I-T-Y attitude, head in the sand. GREAT STATE! lol. lol
Um, there are two of the largest amusement parks in the country in Ohio, a short drive from Columbus. And they're a lot cheaper to visit than Disney.

No hiking, except the Hocking Hills and nearly 30,000 acres of metro parks. And reservoirs for boating, or you know, there's that big lake a short drive away. Honestly, it just sounds like you're kind of a boring and unimaginative person if you couldn't find anything to do.

Old 05-01-2024, 12:23 PM

25,870 posts, read 12,910,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
Honestly, most of that legitimately sounds like a Boomer wet dream, so not for me, thanks.

Florida is typically one of the top 5 states for tornadoes every year.
Not according to this link...over the last 25 years, FLA ranks 9th, and its not a small state:

https://www.policygenius.com/homeown...does-by-state/

I moved from Florida to Ohio (Columbus suburbs) decades ago for a promotion...massive mistake....hated it...and all the taxes...I had never heard of a school district tax before I moved to Ohio

I got a 15% salary increase, but after all the new taxes of OH versus FL, my pay increase was small...not worth the terrible dreary weather.

It took me 1.5 yrs. to escape Ohio. The affluent 'burbs of Cinci is the best place to live in Ohio imho.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Not according to this link...over the last 25 years, FLA ranks 9th, and its not a small state:

https://www.policygenius.com/homeown...does-by-state/

I moved from Florida to Ohio (Columbus suburbs) decades ago for a promotion...massive mistake....hated it...and all the taxes...I had never heard of a school district tax before I moved to Ohio

I got a 15% salary increase, but after all the new taxes of OH versus FL, my pay increase was small...not worth the terrible dreary weather.

It took me 1.5 yrs. to escape Ohio. The affluent 'burbs of Cinci is the best place to live in Ohio imho.
Huge difference between top 5 and 9th, lol. My bad. That 25-year average has Florida having more than twice the average of Ohio.

Your mistake is thinking that taxes alone equal total cost of living. Ohio overall- and Columbus- has a lower cost of living than Florida and Florida cities even if there are some higher taxes in Ohio. It's not even really close. Florida's disposable income ranking (difference between income and cost of living) is 41st out of 50. Ohio's is 12th. Florida literally has one of the top 10 worst cost-to-wage ratios in the nation. Congratulations on that month or two where it's bearable to be outside for more than 15 minutes, though.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:01 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,155,201 times
Quote:
Huge difference between top 5 and 9th, lol. My bad. That 25-year average has Florida having more than twice the average of Ohio.

Your mistake is thinking that taxes alone equal total cost of living. Ohio overall- and Columbus- has a lower cost of living than Florida and Florida cities even if there are some higher taxes in Ohio. It's not even really close. Florida's disposable income ranking (difference between income and cost of living) is 41st out of 50. Ohio's is 12th. Florida literally has one of the top 10 worst cost-to-wage ratios in the nation. Congratulations on that month or two where it's bearable to be outside for more than 15 minutes, though.
Yeah I was going to say, another relevant statistic is state spending per capita. Last time I looked, there were about five states that had over the top spending, the ones you'd expect. Also about five states that didn't spend much per citizen, also the ones you would expect, very small states. Everybody else was kind of the same, maybe a couple thousand separating one from the other. Florida was one of those states.

Point being, to spend like everybody else, they've got to be getting it from somewhere. Of course, they're getting a lot from tourists, but they also get you on other taxes. For example, they have a four and a half percent tax on commercial rental income. So, they say no income tax, but if you receive rental income, you pay four and a half percent. That's worse than an income tax because I don't think you get to net out your expenses.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:50 PM

14,705 posts, read 14,680,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Tampa Bay is not "cosmopolitan" or "sophisticated". Let's get that out of the way.

I think your best bet is to move back to Tampa Bay right away. Enjoy the summer.
Outside of Miami, it’s all Alabama with palm trees.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:16 PM

231 posts, read 811,691 times
Quote:
Um, there are two of the largest amusement parks in the country in Ohio, a short drive from Columbus. And they're a lot cheaper to visit than Disney.

No hiking, except the Hocking Hills and nearly 30,000 acres of metro parks. And reservoirs for boating, or you know, there's that big lake a short drive away.
See, head in the sand attitude. This is the typical Ohioan, and getting more regressed each year.

Let's see, you are comparing Cedar Point or Kings Island, with Disney World / Universal Studio in Orlando? This alone need to get your head exam.

Too expensive? Well, tons of people from around the world still que for hours for a ride, throwing money there. Perhaps your household income is too low to travel around the world yearly to expand your horizon and interest?

Orlando was nothing except Disney and Universal, and these 2 build the whole orlando over the many decades such that the housing price there is way more than Ohio and Co-lame-bus now.

Yes, I found life boring in Co-lame-bus. Why? Because my family travel yearly around the world multi-weeks for best authentic food and experiences, with closest food comparable local here is Atlanta, Toronto, LA. We do things like JetSki, parasails, charter fishing big fish, cable car mountains, cave adventure, Cancun All Inclusives .... Trust me, I charter Lake Erie fishing, and once and DONE. And that's after driving 2 hours to get there.

I know, you could not imagine, that's why we hate Co-LAME-bus. And thanks to people like you, Co-lame-bus would stay LAME because generations of people got fed the same lie "Great Place Great State". lol.

If losing congress seat decades continuously, and now could not retire to other states due to comparatively stagnant housing price, still not enough to wake up people like you, all is lost here.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:34 PM

231 posts, read 811,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
For example, they have a four and a half percent tax on commercial rental income. So, they say no income tax, but if you receive rental income, you pay four and a half percent. That's worse than an income tax because I don't think you get to net out your expenses.
So you are nit-picky here, picking a Strange commercial rental ? I just google again, NO STATE TAX and NO CITY TAX on residential rental income in FL. Residential rental is what I do, and most do too for passive income, not commercials.

In Co-Lame-Bus and Ohio, high earners pay 3.75% plus 2.5% local city income tax, so about 6%, plus higher property tax rate.

Let's get a perspective here. Florida is definitely more expensive in Home + Auto Insurance. But again, most punishing rate is on coastal area or on the river flood zone. If I own a house 30 min inland from coastal, not right on river no flood zone which is like 90% of houses, I would pay extra max $3k / year on insurances compared to Co-lame-bus.

But the property tax, and income tax I save is $10k ++ a year, so even after the extra insurances I paid, I still save over $10k per year in states with no income tax.

Old Today, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Yeah I was going to say, another relevant statistic is state spending per capita. Last time I looked, there were about five states that had over the top spending, the ones you'd expect. Also about five states that didn't spend much per citizen, also the ones you would expect, very small states. Everybody else was kind of the same, maybe a couple thousand separating one from the other. Florida was one of those states.

Point being, to spend like everybody else, they've got to be getting it from somewhere. Of course, they're getting a lot from tourists, but they also get you on other taxes. For example, they have a four and a half percent tax on commercial rental income. So, they say no income tax, but if you receive rental income, you pay four and a half percent. That's worse than an income tax because I don't think you get to net out your expenses.
Yep, that's exactly right. The no income tax thing is just shifting the burden to other things. The cost of infrastructure, services, etc. aren't magically cheaper in Florida. The state definitely will make up their losses on the income tax thing by charging you out the butt everywhere else.

Old Today, 02:02 PM

[quote]
Quote:
See, head in the sand attitude. This is the typical Ohioan, and getting more regressed each year.

Let's see, you are comparing Cedar Point or Kings Island, with Disney World / Universal Studio in Orlando? This alone need to get your head exam.
Actually, no, I'm not directly comparing them. But they are large amusement parks- Disney is a theme park. They're a little bit different. I prefer amusement parks myself, and it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg to visit any of the Ohio parks and I wouldn't have to wait in 3-hour long lines for even the most basic of rides. Also, I wouldn't have to wait in those lines in 110 degree heat and humidity. Orlando has to be the single most uncomfortable city in the nation in terms of weather. It's sweaty pits as far as the eye can see.

Quote:
Too expensive? Well, tons of people from around the world still que for hours for a ride, throwing money there. Perhaps your household income is too low to travel around the world yearly to expand your horizon and interest?
No, I just prefer to spend my money wisely. I have zero interest in Disney.

Quote:
Orlando was nothing except Disney and Universal, and these 2 build the whole orlando over the many decades such that the housing price there is way more than Ohio and Co-lame-bus now.
lol, are you really arguing that expensive housing is a positive? Also, isn't your idiot governor constantly attacking Disney because he's one of those weirdo "anti-woke" obsessives?

Quote:
Yes, I found life boring in Co-lame-bus. Why? Because my family travel yearly around the world multi-weeks for best authentic food and experiences, with closest food comparable local here is Atlanta, Toronto, LA. We do things like JetSki, parasails, charter fishing big fish, cable car mountains, cave adventure, Cancun All Inclusives .... Trust me, I charter Lake Erie fishing, and once and DONE. And that's after driving 2 hours to get there.
I just don't care, and I can't trust your judgement or choices, anyway, when you choose to live in Florida. You don't have to enjoy Ohio, but Florida? Surely, there are better places to live Mr. World Traveler.

Quote:
I know, you could not imagine, that's why we hate Co-LAME-bus. And thanks to people like you, Co-lame-bus would stay LAME because generations of people got fed the same lie "Great Place Great State". lol.
Nah, contrary to what you may believe, Columbus will be just fine. Your opinion of it is just not that important.

Quote:
If losing congress seat decades continuously, and now could not retire to other states due to comparatively stagnant housing price, still not enough to wake up people like you, all is lost here.
The people of Ohio have a relatively much better chance of being able to have the money to move, to retire, to travel, etc. than anyone does in Florida. As I mentioned, the wage-to-cost ratio is god awful in Florida. For all the hype, most people move there simply to struggle more than they did in whatever place they came from. Florida may have one of the highest in-migration rates, but it also has the #1 out-migration rate, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: