Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 647 times

Advertisements

I’m miserable now. Sure it’s cheaper, but at what cost to mental health? Tampa Bay area blows this city out of the water. How do you deal with all these gray days? Also it seems like everyone here is born/raised in Ohio and has never lived anywhere else? People in Tampa are cool…very cosmopolitan, interesting, and well healthier. I’m praying for summer. Does it get better over time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 10:29 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,152,832 times
I've been to Tampa many times. Florida does not impress me. Meh, different strokes.

Old 04-09-2024, 05:53 AM

63 posts, read 79,345 times
Move back

Old 04-09-2024, 09:12 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,474,359 times
Kinda weird to post this on a 72 degree and sunny day that featured an eclipse.

Anyway, most people in Columbus are from small towns in Central Ohio, the younger generation is all congregating here. I would agree it isn't super "cosmopolitan" but TB really isn't either.

You have to just indulge in your hobbies and interests, meet some people. Talk to your neighbors. Spend time outside now that winter is over.

Old 04-09-2024, 09:38 AM

5,478 posts, read 12,253,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Kinda weird to post this on a 72 degree and sunny day that featured an eclipse.

Anyway, most people in Columbus are from small towns in Central Ohio, the younger generation is all congregating here. I would agree it isn't super "cosmopolitan" but TB really isn't either.

You have to just indulge in your hobbies and interests, meet some people. Talk to your neighbors. Spend time outside now that winter is over.
THIS^ and stop comparing how your new Ohio home isn’t like Tampa. That doesn’t make for a happy existence. Of course Ohio isn’t like Florida.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:31 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,115,632 times
OP... Your name suggests you should have been able to see this coming. Why did you move out of Florida and into Ohio? How long have you been in Ohio? You might give it a year or two to grow on you.

Old 04-10-2024, 06:47 AM

140 posts, read 68,481 times
I was just in Tampa in January. We were told to go to Ybor City, but it was not very active and had a lot of missing teeth in the business district. I believe this wasn't long after a high profile shooting that took place in the neighborhood. A lot of the new surrounding residential infill was that typical cheap Florida stucco. We left and went to the Channel District. It was mediocre at best. Columbus has far more interesting inner ring neighborhoods that are far more vibrant from a pedestrian experience to the diversity in its offerings.

Tampa "very cosmopolitan"... you're trying too hard. Not even close.

I left Florida after 3 years in university. I go back a few times each year. There is nothing attractive about that state. The economy has very little diversity, so much of the incomes are at a terrible scale, and the cost of living has skyrocketed. There is nothing walkable about the state - multilane roads exists everywhere with high speed limits. It's flat. Insurance is going through the roof.

What I often find on these sites are people who have either retired or thought moving down south was a point to brag to those up north how better things are. In reality, I think most people don't want to discuss how quality of life actually goes down so they find things they think they can brag about, but get upset when people up north call them out on it.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:26 AM

6,818 posts, read 4,263,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNorth View Post
I was just in Tampa in January. We were told to go to Ybor City, but it was not very active and had a lot of missing teeth in the business district. I believe this wasn't long after a high profile shooting that took place in the neighborhood. A lot of the new surrounding residential infill was that typical cheap Florida stucco. We left and went to the Channel District. It was mediocre at best. Columbus has far more interesting inner ring neighborhoods that are far more vibrant from a pedestrian experience to the diversity in its offerings.

Tampa "very cosmopolitan"... you're trying too hard. Not even close.

I left Florida after 3 years in university. I go back a few times each year. There is nothing attractive about that state. The economy has very little diversity, so much of the incomes are at a terrible scale, and the cost of living has skyrocketed. There is nothing walkable about the state - multilane roads exists everywhere with high speed limits. It's flat. Insurance is going through the roof.

What I often find on these sites are people who have either retired or thought moving down south was a point to brag to those up north how better things are. In reality, I think most people don't want to discuss how quality of life actually goes down so they find things they think they can brag about, but get upset when people up north call them out on it.

Sounds like you're trying perhaps too hard to hate on Florida to be honest. I'm hardly a Florida fan, but I can think of a few reasons why it might be more attractive than Ohio to a lot of people.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:57 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,249,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateTeller View Post
I’m miserable now. Sure it’s cheaper, but at what cost to mental health? Tampa Bay area blows this city out of the water. How do you deal with all these gray days? Also it seems like everyone here is born/raised in Ohio and has never lived anywhere else? People in Tampa are cool…very cosmopolitan, interesting, and well healthier. I’m praying for summer. Does it get better over time?
Interesting how you state your opinion, which is relevant to your experiences, and folks jump on track to discredit you. Maybe a better route would be to consider what your experience may represent to an outsider moving to insular Ohio, instead of jumping in to tell you that your experiences are wrong and Florida sucks.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:56 AM

140 posts, read 68,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Sounds like you're trying perhaps too hard to hate on Florida to be honest. I'm hardly a Florida fan, but I can think of a few reasons why it might be more attractive than Ohio to a lot of people.
Not trying too hard at all. The OP went out of their way to create this thread. Why is it wrong for others in this forum to say otherwise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: