Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 05:51 PM

8,414 posts, read 13,554,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That "startup" addition to task Manager is one of the best things they have come up with in quite some time.

It was in Win10.. I don't recall if it was in 8 or not, but.. Yeah. That's the best thing they've put into any recent version of windows in my eyes.

You could still do it in older versions.. What was it? msconfig?

But.. It's so much simpler having it right there in the task manager.

that being said. I hate the new task manager layout. I hate the reliance on icons.

And.. Once again, something that is not Win11 specific here, but if I ever get my hands on the asshat who had the bright idea on the "Send To" submenu, to put "Compressed File" RIGHT ABOVE "Desktop (create shortcut)"

The number of times I've gone to ZIP 40 files, slip up and ****! Now I have 40 damned shortcuts on my desktop!

Win11.. Does have quite a bit of bloatware that it puts on by default. all easy enough to remove, but.. Yeah.. Their Netflix app and some others shouldn't be installed by default with Windows.. Not POSITIVE that netflix is.. Think so, but.. There's other examples. Use your favorite.

First thing I did with Win11 when I had to test it out was.. "Ok.. How do I get my start button left aligned again?"

Getting to some of the old school tools, which.. Still work better (or.. I'm just old) is getting difficult.

Joining a domain.. The old System Properties screen.. One of the first things I do is go under Performance and set it for best performance, which turns off many of the animations for taskbar and the like.

The old Devices and Printers.. I still prefer working on printers from that.
I agree with everything you mentioned except for the SendTo / zip file drama.
I am sure as you noticed the SendTo sub menu is also in alphabetic order so your best bet is to modify the entries in there to suit your needs.

For example (See screenshots); I get rid of the Mail Recipient and Bluetooth client. Those two I never need or use.
For your needs, if you want to make sure even if you slip (too much coffee or not enough) you won't accidentally cause bunch of shortcuts on your Desktop, create another entry for zip files.
You go for the top one but even if you aim in between the two, you are still safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What are your favorite aspects of Windows 11 to neutralize, make them stop, remove?
I neutralized and removed the 1 at the end of Windows 11!
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 11, Do You Like It?-sendto-1.jpg   Windows 11, Do You Like It?-sendto-3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2024, 09:22 PM

20,900 posts, read 8,711,786 times
Quote:
It is awful. It forces you into something called Onedrive which rearranges stuff so you cannot find your documents.
The new MS Office that I had to buy does not work the way you have been doing for the past several years. It does weird things and all the familiar controls will be gone, or hidden.

Whenever I create a Word document I never save it in One Drive. It asks which location you want to save it in. Next to One Drive you will see a little down arrow. Click it and you also get the choice of saving it to "C>Users>my name" which is what I do.

All programs get updated every so often normally. I never used all the choices in any version because I only type basic documents.

Old 05-16-2024, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Win11.. Does have quite a bit of bloatware that it puts on by default. all easy enough to remove

First thing I did with Win11 when I had to test it out was.. "Ok.. How do I get my start button left aligned again?"
That's what I had the Staples computer tech do for me when I bought my new laptop.

Old 05-16-2024, 09:33 PM

One annoying thing is trying to grab that now very small, skinny scroll bar on the right of the screen. Who was the idiot that thought changing a perfectly wider, more useful one? Someone trying to justify his job, no doubt.

Old 05-17-2024, 12:36 AM

8,414 posts, read 13,554,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
One annoying thing is trying to grab that now very small, skinny scroll bar on the right of the screen. Who was the idiot that thought changing a perfectly wider, more useful one? Someone trying to justify his job, no doubt.
Scrollbar is hidden/minimized on Windows 10/11 by default which I think is annoying.
I like to see scrollbar all the time instead of moving the cursor and trying to make it become visible! That is one of the very first customization I do!

Press Windows key + i to open SETTINGS then;

Windows 10: Ease of Access > (under Display) Automatically hide scroll bars in Windows > OFF

Windows 11: Accessibility > Visual Effects > Always Show scrollbars > ON

Old 05-17-2024, 04:19 AM

1,148 posts, read 681,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Vertical scrollbars are pretty much obsolete in my opinion. The idiot might have even considered get rid of them altogether, but seemingly there is still some legacy use for them.

Last edited by akrausz; 05-17-2024 at 05:46 AM..

Old 05-17-2024, 07:04 AM

16,212 posts, read 7,173,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
They send everything to one drive because once its full they will want 200 dollars a year for more .Just use a thumb drive.I fix computers and I hear that all the time that they have to buy more space on one drive they think they have to do it.The whole thing is to make money thats why it directs you to one drive..For most people one drive is not needed they should just use internal storage thumb drives are dirt cheap.
Exactly right. I hate the cloud although I use it in my iphone and like the way it performs. But I hate the way Google tries to grab all my data, i feel i have to carefully guard against its greed. I dont want it to grab all my photos and god knows what it does with them. I hate Dropbox which i am forced to use when working with a group. Every time i open the spreadsheet in the Dropbox there is a change or something that i have to figure out.
I store all my stuff in hard drive or in thumb drives.

Old 05-17-2024, 07:28 AM

7,233 posts, read 9,410,397 times
It looks like we Windows 10 users still have a year and a half left in the old laptop:

October 14, 2025
After October 14, 2025, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for Windows 10. Your PC will still work, but we recommend moving to Windows 11.

https://www.google.com/search?q=when...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 05-17-2024, 08:14 AM

16,610 posts, read 19,845,129 times
Awesome advice Turco, as usual. Hell I learned something too. Never played around with customizing the right click.

Quote:
Exactly right. I hate the cloud although I use it in my iphone and like the way it performs.
So you like how it works on your iPhone, but your PC works the same way, and you hate it.

In defense of OneDrive:
There is SOME advantage to using OneDrive. And the cost to get the bigger drive...is $24 a year. Some would argue a tiny price to pay to know that your files are safe and backed up. And if you get a new computer or yours just flat out dies? Buy a new one, login with your Microsoft account and without you doing anything else...all your stuff is there. Like magic. or ...like an iPhone if you pay for the extra iCloud storage. Millions of people have -0- bother spending $12 a year for iCloud storage...but Onedrive? Which does FAR MORE? Well that's a bridge to far...

And all this brouhahaha about "the cloud"...
Fact: Microsoft does not get access to your stuff.
Fact: Google doesn't with if you use Google stuff.
Fact: Dropbox isn't looking at your photos either.
Fact: All these online storage companies encrypt and protect your data.
Fact: Employees at these companies aren't looking at your stuff.
In this day and age, I cannot even imagine how badly any of these companies would get raked over the coals if they were ever found to be looking at your stuff.

And YES Google does index your email. The main reason being so you can search a million emails in 2 seconds...not because they are reading your email.

I get it...it's popular to not trust and in some cases, even HATE these companies...but the fact is they do take your privacy seriously.

But, again, even if you create a MS account, you do NOT have to use OneDrive.

Last edited by Peregrine; 05-17-2024 at 08:25 AM..

Old 05-17-2024, 09:00 AM

580 posts, read 310,932 times
I sympathize with [ cb2008 ]. Some of us don't like Windows changing and re-arranging things without our permission. And some of us are simply not interested in the Windows 11 features. Happy for those who do.

So I am staying with Windows 10 and have Windows Updates turned off ( thanks to Winaero Tweaker ) on all six of my home computers. Ever since I tuned updates off my system has been stable and stays the way I like it ( for the most part ). I only allow automatic updates on my security software ( Webroot and Malwarebytes ).

I disabled One Drive right from the start. Didn't want it "taking over" in any sense. Now I have a subscription to Microsoft 365 just to get the One Drive 6 TB of cloud storage, but I do not let One Drive "function" on my computer. I use third-party software that I can configure to do the backups. For sync I use Google One ( 2 Tb ) which allows me more control of what gets backed up, what gets synced, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers