Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 12:00 PM

5,832 posts, read 3,252,818 times

Advertisements

Every so often, Microsoft wants me to upgrade to Windows 11.

I heard that any migration to Windows 11 locks you into that operating system.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 12:45 PM

16,120 posts, read 7,114,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Every so often, Microsoft wants me to upgrade to Windows 11.

I heard that any migration to Windows 11 locks you into that operating system.

Thoughts?
It is awful. It forces you into something called Onedrive which rearranges stuff so you cannot find your documents. You cannot find your Desktop. It takes over like a demon from hell. I had to take it to tech support in my library to kill it. It took him a couple of hours to have my PC look the same as before this vile occupation of my brand new laptop. I was so happy to see all my stuff back where I usually find them. With every new update something nasty happens, some new apps that YOU DO NOT WANT will be forced upon you. You have to be very vigilant and check your Laptop to be sure everything is where it should be.
The new MS Office that I had to buy does not work the way you have been doing for the past several year. It does weird things and all the familiar controls will be gone, or hidden. You may get used to it in time but it is awful when you first start trying to get a spreadsheet finished.
Good luck! Be friendly with a good tech support.

Old 05-14-2024, 12:51 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,047,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is awful. It forces you into something called Onedrive which rearranges stuff so you cannot find your documents. You cannot find your Desktop.
This is simply 100% untrue.

Old 05-14-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
This is simply 100% untrue.
That is my experience and I answered the OP's question. If I were her I would hang on to the Windows 10 until she absolutely have to switch. I am sure you can learn to work with Onedrive but it is a painful transition to achieve what you already could without having to be a tech wizard. It is counter intuitive and takes over the PC.

Old 05-14-2024, 01:24 PM

21,932 posts, read 25,286,245 times
It's okay. Some stuff better (multi-monitor support, snapping), other stuff worse (notifications, start menu). I have 10 on the Desktop and 11 on the laptop. Overall I can't say I care. Either way it's Windows and fine.

Old 05-14-2024, 01:41 PM

16,584 posts, read 19,788,610 times
Windows 11 is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is counter intuitive and takes over the PC.
Onedrive is optional to use, just like it is on Windows 10 and just like it was on 8 and 7 before that.

It certainly doesn't "take over the PC"...what is does is...backup your PC files. The goal being trying to make it easy for you to switch computers or protect yourself from disaster if the computer dies. AND put some money in MS's pocket because you will run out of the free space and they will ask you to pay for more.

Or you can simply...not use it. If it took your IT Help "a couple of hours" to...turn off OneDrive...not sure your library is the place you should be getting help.

MS DOES go out of the way to try and force you to create a Microsoft account...and I agree that sucks and is sketchy...but it is certainly still pretty easy to get around that.

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/...rosoft-account

Old 05-14-2024, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Onedrive is optional to use, just like it is on Windows 10 and just like it was on 8 and 7 before that.

It certainly doesn't "take over the PC"...what is does is...backup your PC files. The goal being trying to make it easy for you to switch computers or protect yourself from disaster if the computer dies.
it does it without my permission or knowledge. that is the problem. my windows have been working fine for many years. i simply do not see it as better or more efficient. if you like it fine. but if you don’t want it is a pain to get it to work the way it was before which was fine.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:43 PM

1,122 posts, read 665,820 times
I like OneDrive, but not providing an opt-out option and needing tech support to get rid of it is a great example of why I no longer recommend Windows to people that don't need anything that complicated and problematic.

Last edited by akrausz; 05-14-2024 at 06:05 PM..

Old 05-14-2024, 10:42 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,047,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
I like OneDrive, but not providing an opt-out option and needing tech support to get rid of it is a great example of why I no longer recommend Windows to people that don't need anything that complicated and problematic.
It is not mandatory to use OneDrive!

Old 05-14-2024, 10:55 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,094,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
It is not mandatory to use OneDrive!
No, it's not, but they're trying every avenue to get as much as possible into "the cloud". I noticed today on my Windows login screen, the text in the center of the screen that they're hoping you'll click on, read something like "Your Microsoft storage may be running low". Pretty sleazy, in my opinion. Usually it's something dumb like asking if you want to learn more about African gazelles or a push to use Bing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers