Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 08:39 AM

151 posts, read 32,586 times

Advertisements

I disabled one drive on my lap top in the task manager. As for the new windows I like it very stable no problems at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2024, 09:00 AM

561 posts, read 301,572 times
I sympathize with [ cb2008 ]. Some of us don't like Windows changing and re-arranging things without our permission. And some of us are simply not interested in the Windows 11 features. Happy for those who do.

So I am staying with Windows 10 and have Windows Updates turned off ( thanks to Winaero Tweaker ) on all six of my home computers. Ever since I tuned updates off my system has been stable and stays the way I like it ( for the most part ). I only allow automatic updates on my security software ( Webroot and Malwarebytes ).

I disabled One Drive right from the start. Didn't want it "taking over" in any sense. Now I have a subscription to Microsoft 365 just to get the One Drive 6 TB of cloud storage, but I do not let One Drive "function" on my computer. I use third-party software that I can configure to do the backups. For sync I use Google One ( 2 Tb ) which allows me more control of what gets backed up, what gets synced, etc.

Old 05-17-2024, 10:40 AM

17,413 posts, read 12,375,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is awful. It forces you into something called Onedrive which rearranges stuff so you cannot find your documents. You cannot find your Desktop. It takes over like a demon from hell. I had to take it to tech support in my library to kill it. It took him a couple of hours to have my PC look the same as before this vile occupation of my brand new laptop. I was so happy to see all my stuff back where I usually find them. With every new update something nasty happens, some new apps that YOU DO NOT WANT will be forced upon you. You have to be very vigilant and check your Laptop to be sure everything is where it should be.
The new MS Office that I had to buy does not work the way you have been doing for the past several year. It does weird things and all the familiar controls will be gone, or hidden. You may get used to it in time but it is awful when you first start trying to get a spreadsheet finished.
Good luck! Be friendly with a good tech support.
That's not true. Sounds like complaints are more about Office. Which I ditched Office long ago for Open Office. Free and better. I see zero reason to use MS Office over Open Office or Libre Office.

Old 05-17-2024, 10:42 AM

17,703 posts, read 15,450,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Awesome advice Turco, as usual. Hell I learned something too. Never played around with customizing the right click.

So you like how it works on your iPhone, but your PC works the same way, and you hate it.

In defense of OneDrive:
There is SOME advantage to using OneDrive. And the cost to get the bigger drive...is $24 a year. Some would argue a tiny price to pay to know that your files are safe and backed up. And if you get a new computer or yours just flat out dies? Buy a new one, login with your Microsoft account and without you doing anything else...all your stuff is there. Like magic. or ...like an iPhone if you pay for the extra iCloud storage. Millions of people have -0- bother spending $12 a year for iCloud storage...but Onedrive? Which does FAR MORE? Well that's a bridge to far...

And all this brouhahaha about "the cloud"...
Fact: Microsoft does not get access to your stuff.
Fact: Google doesn't with if you use Google stuff.
Fact: Dropbox isn't looking at your photos either.
Fact: All these online storage companies encrypt and protect your data.
Fact: Employees at these companies aren't looking at your stuff.
In this day and age, I cannot even imagine how badly any of these companies would get raked over the coals if they were ever found to be looking at your stuff.

And YES Google does index your email. The main reason being so you can search a million emails in 2 seconds...not because they are reading your email.

I get it...it's popular to not trust and in some cases, even HATE these companies...but the fact is they do take your privacy seriously.

But, again, even if you create a MS account, you do NOT have to use OneDrive.

they run algorithms to look at data. They may not be looking specifically at your data in as much as viewing your images, but they are scanning your data for various illegal things via hash fingerprints. CSAM, for example.

And.. While most of will sit here going "Yeah, good for them".. I do think you have to be at least a BIT concerned that it could snowball into more..

Do they start scanning for keywords to determine your political affiliation? again.. While that's something you could kinda say "Who cares" on..The fact that they might try it..

I use those services, but I use them as needed. Not by default.

Old 05-17-2024, 11:07 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,698,825 times
My wife has it on her new computer, and it works fine.
My PC and Laptop are too old for Win 11, been thinking about building another.

Old 05-17-2024, 11:33 AM

3,241 posts, read 2,466,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is awful. It forces you into something called Onedrive which rearranges stuff so you cannot find your documents. You cannot find your Desktop. It takes over like a demon from hell. I had to take it to tech support in my library to kill it. It took him a couple of hours to have my PC look the same as before this vile occupation of my brand new laptop. I was so happy to see all my stuff back where I usually find them. With every new update something nasty happens, some new apps that YOU DO NOT WANT will be forced upon you. You have to be very vigilant and check your Laptop to be sure everything is where it should be.
The new MS Office that I had to buy does not work the way you have been doing for the past several year. It does weird things and all the familiar controls will be gone, or hidden. You may get used to it in time but it is awful when you first start trying to get a spreadsheet finished.
Good luck! Be friendly with a good tech support.
It doesn't force you into OneDrive. I upgraded to 11 a while ago and I don't even use OneDrive. My desktop is the same as ever and my documents are where I save them. Apparently when you installed you allowed OneDrive which then messed you up. Pay attention when installing stuff and just say no otherwise you end up with all kinds of crap.

Office, I haven't liked Office since they went Office 360. Luckily I don't have a use for it but if I did there are other options out there like WPS when needed that creates files that can be shared with actual Office users.

The only thing I will say if you switch from prior to Windows 10 expect to hate everything about it until you get used to it. The start menu is such a sh** show.

Old 05-17-2024, 11:46 AM

51,152 posts, read 24,624,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
If your talking about Microsoft products like word that is very easy to change
1. Can you point me in the right direction?

2. But a new problem has arisen.

a. It says I have 1 file saved to One Drive.
b. When I go to open One Drive it says: "A newer version of One Drive is installed. You need to uninstall it first before installing this version".

Old 05-17-2024, 01:06 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,706,478 times
I've had more than on computer tech tell me to just skip windows 11 and wait for 12.

Old 05-17-2024, 01:50 PM

17,703 posts, read 15,450,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I've had more than on computer tech tell me to just skip windows 11 and wait for 12.

Like Star Trek Movies.. Every other one is crap.

Old 05-17-2024, 02:15 PM

1,141 posts, read 674,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
It doesn't force you into OneDrive.
I had to figure out why people are disagreeing about this so I watched a few Windows 11 installation videos. This is what I found. OneDrive is indeed forced with a Windows 11 Home installation. But it didn't used to be that way.

To clarify, only the Windows 11 Pro version has the "Only save files to this PC" option to opt out of OneDrive during installation. It seems that option was removed from the Windows 11 Home installation. Upon completion of the Windows 11 Home installation, OneDrive is installed, running and doing its (potentially unwanted) thing. No way around it.

At this point, with OneDrive running and files going to the cloud, the user might say "I don't want that!" Oh well, they are already there. Now it is up to the user to figure out what is going on, figure out if they have to cough up more money to use it when they run out of space, and finally figure out how to force their way back out of OneDrive. Microsoft created an avoidable problem for people that are not tech-savvy.

Last edited by akrausz; 05-17-2024 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers