Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 07:15 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Another question: are the cruise prices what they are, no matter whether you book with the line or with a broker? Or are there cheaper places to book than going with the cruise line?
Yes. The big online sites often offer cheaper pricing or a special promotions, but forget about customer service or help with selection. They offer NOTHING beyond booking you on whatever you choose. These can be acceptable for very experienced cruisers.

The cruise lines CAN offer attractive pricing, especially if you're booking super early (like 2 years in advance). But again, they offer little advice except maybe cabin selection.

But your question makes me figure you are not an experienced cruiser. So definitely use a good travel agent who specializes in cruises. Their pricing is usually competitive with the online sites and they can often get you free upgrades. Most importantly, they offer a wealth of information and advice.

Over the years, I've booked using all three options. I would not go directly thru the cruise line again. I do use a TA for itineraries and cruise lines with which I am unfamiliar. I occasionally use the big box online when they have some kind of promo.

I love vacations to go for their search engine, but wouid not use them again for booking. CruCon is slighly better.

A good TA is like a good realtor. They probe you with questions to discover your likes and dislikes, your interests, your budget, etc. And like realtors, there ARE good ones and bad ones. My TA is a good one - knowledgeableven and experienced. PM me if you want her name and number. I'm quite sure you'll have a much better cruise if you use her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 09:02 AM

6,625 posts, read 7,336,606 times
Quote:
Another question: are the cruise prices what they are, no matter whether you book with the line or with a broker? Or are there cheaper places to book than going with the cruise line?
Do not know the answer. In the past I think pricing did vary but currently I think their might not be any difference. You have to be very careful in comparing prices to make sure you are including all the port taxes etc. You could see price that differ by a few hundred dollars where one has all of the costs and the other does not.

I book directly with the line and through a travel agent. The travel agent may give you a bottle of wine or "free" dinner but the price of the cruise is identical with the cruise line.

The cruise lines do offer discounts by state, time of year, last minute bookings etc. I would get on the mailing lists for the lines you are interested in and the travel agents you might use.

Some lines will let you book rooms by class (inside cabin, outside, lower deck, higher deck etc) with the understanding that they can move you to a more expensive room (higher deck usually). We do this alot. The idea is if all the lower priced rooms are sold and someone wants one they will bump you up to sell the room to the new person.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:05 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned 'Vacations To Go' -- An easy place to locate all kinds of cruises (including re-positioning) - searchable with a wide range of comparative criteria and generally pretty good prices.
Both Jkgourmet and I did, it the weblink that is in our post.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:07 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,296,304 times
Thanks everyone. Only interested in the repositioning cruises, as an alternative to flying, for a change. Not really a cruiser, as most of you have figured out.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Do not know the answer. In the past I think pricing did vary but currently I think their might not be any difference. You have to be very careful in comparing prices to make sure you are including all the port taxes etc. You could see price that differ by a few hundred dollars where one has all of the costs and the other does not.

I book directly with the line and through a travel agent. The travel agent may give you a bottle of wine or "free" dinner but the price of the cruise is identical with the cruise line.

The cruise lines do offer discounts by state, time of year, last minute bookings etc. I would get on the mailing lists for the lines you are interested in and the travel agents you might use.

Some lines will let you book rooms by class (inside cabin, outside, lower deck, higher deck etc) with the understanding that they can move you to a more expensive room (higher deck usually). We do this alot. The idea is if all the lower priced rooms are sold and someone wants one they will bump you up to sell the room to the new person.
I have recently heard Costco and Sams have slightly better prices, but again, you are talking customer service as well. They are not in the travel business thus the agents are simply sales people.

Cruise lines rarely have much better or better deals than a good travel agent and an agent may throw in a few perks. Everyone has to find out for themselves what works best. I always advise, new cruisers use an agent. After a few cruises you can decide what you think will work best for you.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:26 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,820 times
I used an online broker, never again. My husband couldn't go on a $20,000 cruise last minute illness. Online was worthless,
A friend sent me to her's. He helped and you bet he got all my business from there on out.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:00 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Only interested in the repositioning cruises, as an alternative to flying, for a change. Not really a cruiser, as most of you have figured out.
What are your desired start/end points? If you don't really want to cruise or like cruising, that could be more uncomfortable than flying.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:30 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,296,304 times
Looking to go between the Northwest and Florida. Vancouver, BC, possibly, or Seattle.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Seriously, don't ever pay rack rate for a cruise. Go to vacationstogo.com They always have repositioning cruises at good rates.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:51 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
Quote:
Looking to go between the Northwest and Florida. Vancouver, BC, possibly, or Seattle.
I hope you have a lot of time. The only way to make that trip is through the Panama Canal. Leaving from Vancouver, check out Holland America and Princess cruise lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises