Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,475,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
maybe if we become energy independent, like it says in all the articles im reading, we will be able to just ignore anything going on over there.
Except for our unaccountable and masochistic relationship with Israel, we wouldn't have to worry about ME turmoil and its effect on our oil supply even as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 02:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Except for our unaccountable and masochistic relationship with Israel, we wouldn't have to worry about ME turmoil and its effect on our oil supply even as it is.
israel enjoys relative peace compared to its neighbors so im not sure what they have to do with mideast unrest. all of those islamic countries have their own internal and external conflict between each other.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:55 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,475,344 times
Quote:
israel enjoys relative peace compared to its neighbors so im not sure what they have to do with mideast unrest. all of those islamic countries have their own internal and external conflict between each other.
But those conflicts don't involve us. The Arab-Israeli conflict does.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
But those conflicts don't involve us. The Arab-Israeli conflict does.
whether or not we are directly involved, turmoil in the middle east happens and affects us. those conflicts and concerns between iran, iraq, kurds, turkey, syria, libya, etc etc etc dont involve us.

israel has some missiles fired into it from terrorists here and there and they fire back.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:25 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
This.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
whether or not we are directly involved, turmoil in the middle east happens and affects us. those conflicts and concerns between iran, iraq, kurds, turkey, syria, libya, etc etc etc dont involve us.

israel has some missiles fired into it from terrorists here and there and they fire back.
Events in the middle east are so complicated and knotty that everything that happens there affects us in some way, even if it is indirect. What's even worse is our good relations today could easily turn bad tomorrow and vice versa.

It's been that way for 100 years now. I heard a piece on the middle east on NPR that gave me some pause for thought; the religion of Islam is almost 700 years younger than Christianity. It's now as old as Christianity was in the 1400's, and Christianity has changed drastically since the 1400's. In many ways, the religion is still Medieval when compared to the west.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Iran and Russia support the present syrian regime aginst the rebels as they are called by them. Only action on Syria are thru the UN;nt indepednent US actions. We can never ignore problems ebcause the world is inner connected anymore than we should have with Hitler's germany.Alow them to block the suez and the world economy is in crisis.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's now as old as Christianity was in the 1400's, and Christianity has changed drastically since the 1400's. In many ways, the religion is still Medieval when compared to the west.
i agree with that notion. islam may become all nice and fuzzy and lovie dovie in 600 years, but i live in the present not 600 years from now. so i think the more we can distance ourselves from them the better.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:33 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Events in the middle east are so complicated and knotty that everything that happens there affects us in some way, even if it is indirect. What's even worse is our good relations today could easily turn bad tomorrow and vice versa.

It's been that way for 100 years now. I heard a piece on the middle east on NPR that gave me some pause for thought; the religion of Islam is almost 700 years younger than Christianity. It's now as old as Christianity was in the 1400's, and Christianity has changed drastically since the 1400's. In many ways, the religion is still Medieval when compared to the west.
I almost wonder if Islam is going through its version of the "crusades" much like Christianity went through... just thinking with the modern day fervor that the Islamic extremist seem be exhibiting I wonder if it parallels it on some level.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
An Islamic crusade? It could be a possibility. I see the parallels too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events