Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 11:11 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,701,067 times

Advertisements

i did find it kinda strange how they all seemed so happy just a week after.. i mean its one thing for it to be like 6 months later or 12 months..but like has it really settled in? and whats up with the media all in the hospital about it .. i dont remember that during like 9/11 or even like the mass shootings..its so strange..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 11:36 PM

33,009 posts, read 36,560,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
After the tragic events in Boston, I can't help but feel uneasy to see most of the victims on TV project an image of: "it's all good-I'm all smiles here-thumbs up!" attitude. It can't be real. In my opinion it projects a bad image of Americans. Sure these are all sad stories, but mostly, the media is so quick to show pictures of victims smiling, makes me feel uncomfortable to see it over and over again. Almost every photo on the donation website for the victims is one of a smiling one. Why??? Why is everyone smiling???

Why can't we show the world that we have real feelings, tone it down a bit with the positive attitude, there is nothing wrong with that! I understand the victims need to think positive to overcome the pain, poor them, I cried for them so much. But think about how the world will see us. No matter what the terrorists do to us, we just keep on smiling like robots. Smiling, smiling, smiling!!! Where are the REAL expressions of sorrow, depression, sadness, shock. Those expressions do not show weakness, but REALNESS. Our society is so unreal, and others in the world see that, it makes me sad.
Thankfully, you haven't had to deal with anything like this. You wouldn't ask if you had. It'll take years for the victims of this atrocity to come to terms with, well, how to deal with their grief and the rest of their lives.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:01 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,593,533 times
Quote:
Of course I have, hence the point. It is devastating. I did not mean the moment of the terrible event, but for example, the hospital photos. Most stories on TV want to portray people with thumbs up. I'm just tired of seeing the unreal, when a REAL tragedy just happened and I AM FEELING SAD about it. It feels fake.
If it happened to me, yes, I'd be devastated, and it would take eons for me to adjust. But I'm sure those that lost legs are happy that they didn't lose their lives! Besides, it's just natural to want to smile for a camera and be positive for non-close visitors (celebs, the media). Their family and medical staff probably see them at their worst.

As the weeks and months go on, I'm sure that there will be some longer news stories that follow the victims through their continued healing and physical therapy. Then we will probably see some of the less positive, unguarded moments, when they are struggling with their day to day tasks. But for a 1-minute news clip, I'd smile for the cameras too!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:07 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,593,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i did find it kinda strange how they all seemed so happy just a week after.. i mean its one thing for it to be like 6 months later or 12 months..but like has it really settled in? and whats up with the media all in the hospital about it .. i dont remember that during like 9/11 or even like the mass shootings..its so strange..
With 9/11, I don't think there were that many injured survivors. I remember that the hospitals prepared for an onslaught of emergency victims, but were left waiting, for the most part. I do remember reading a few stories of survivors, though, from the Pentagon and NYC. People Mag and others did followups, showing people from some of the more well-known photographs, reunited with people that helped them.

As for the mass shootings, like Sandy Hook.... they were children, and the majority of them died. They did interview some teachers though.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,169,938 times
Media does a lot of stupid stuff. There's the flip side of the coin, why is it when an convict gets killed during the commission of a crime do they sometimes try and make it seem like they were on the mends.

Famous family statement: "He was just turning his life around."

I'm sure he was

Old 04-28-2013, 09:03 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,335,286 times
Quote:
I am not upset at the people. I just can not comprehend being terribly injured and soon smiling to the camera from my hospital bed. But that's just me. America is being attacked for many reasons, one of them is the "fakeness" factor. I think a contrary phenomenon might occur, whereas the terrorists won't stop attacking, as they will figure no compassion is needed here.
Me personally, I do not know that I could suffer a life altering injury and then appear as these brave people have, from their hospital bed...smiling. Having said that I would certainly summon every ounce of my being to do so and believe in my heart that by doing so I have personally defeated these ***tards. Fake it until you make it. Yes, that would be my hope and desire!

With all due respect RM, sincerely...I can't wrap my head around the possibility that America is being attacked (yes, I read for many reasons) for its "fakeness" factor.

As fas as the terrorists won't stop attacking, as they will figure no compassion needed here, surely the video coverage of missing limbs, blood and gore, along with the sheer panic of participants and spectators alike is more than enough to elicit compassion. The difference being is that terrorists are not in the business of making nice and being compassionate but rather in the business of making terror and terrorizing, hence the term terrorists.

Just my view from my little corner of the United States of America.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 04-28-2013 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: spelling and added text.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,701,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
With 9/11, I don't think there were that many injured survivors. I remember that the hospitals prepared for an onslaught of emergency victims, but were left waiting, for the most part. I do remember reading a few stories of survivors, though, from the Pentagon and NYC. People Mag and others did followups, showing people from some of the more well-known photographs, reunited with people that helped them.

As for the mass shootings, like Sandy Hook.... they were children, and the majority of them died. They did interview some teachers though.
yes but when they did it with the parents they were like cheering around like "i'm so blessed for this to happen" like boston survivors or relatives of dead bostonians.. maybe because its so soon

Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,907,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What makes you think their smiles are not genuine? Again, they got injured but I'll bet they are very happy to be alive...and that IS something to smile about.
I don't know about RSM, but I've had a couple very close brushes with death... I lost control of my car because a deer jumped out in front of me on a rainy country road, slid sideways at about 60 mph, a tree sheared off the bumper of my car, that impact flung it around sideways and into a dirt mound and through a barbed wire fence, nearly flipping it over and down a ravine that was about a hundred feet down - and this was in a convertible... my friend and I would have been dead, no two ways about it.

After the impact when it rolled backwards into a muddy ditch and the CD stopped skipping, I looked over at my friend and asked, "you okay?" He said "yeah," and we both started laughing hysterically.

Surviving an accident, even if you end up being injured, puts a lot of things in perspective.

Quote:
And do you have any sort of proof that America is being attacked for the "fakeness" factor? That's a new one.
This is a new one to me, too. I think that attacks tend to happen primarily out of vengeance for issues of aggression and oppression, whether real or perceived. I've heard people talk about "arrogance," but "fakeness?" Seems to be more of a snotty first-world internet disparagement than third-world revolutionaries wanting to take a bloody piece out of the US.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,517,516 times
I saw plenty of tears on the news shows coming from the first responders, the families and the witnesses. These were the people who saw the horrors for whom the full reality of the situation was immediately apparent.

The victims themselves were in too much shock I would imagine to realize what was happening to them. I think that while they are in the hospital surrounded by a lot of care and pain meds and loved ones, they are in a safe place and maybe still in a sort of "state of grace" where the reality of their situation has not quite fully sunk in.

There is still so much for those poor people to process it will take a lot of time. I am sure many of them will need help dealing with issues like PTSD and things like that. The tears will come especially when they are learning to deal with adjusting to their new lives without the limbs they lost.

I'm sorry, but I have to say this. It just seems ghoulish to me to see someone post that they are expecting to see people who are, at least for now, trying to put on a brave face in the light of such tragedy. And calling these faces "fake" on top of it. What kind of person does that?

Old 04-28-2013, 12:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,039,291 times
Most people shown where mildly effected likely and most victims seriously effected likely will not appaear on TV.I see no problem i such people saying that the inhtent of the terrorist will not effect them i their goign about their lifes afterall that is the intent of terroist on general popaution. Not different than what we saw in WWII and a hmna trasit to get up and brush off and move on to those who can do that.It in fact is require to actaully not be a continusing victim of terrorist acts specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events