Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 PM

280 posts, read 603,771 times

Advertisements

After the tragic events in Boston, I can't help but feel uneasy to see most of the victims on TV project an image of: "it's all good-I'm all smiles here-thumbs up!" attitude. It can't be real. In my opinion it projects a bad image of Americans. Sure these are all sad stories, but mostly, the media is so quick to show pictures of victims smiling, makes me feel uncomfortable to see it over and over again. Almost every photo on the donation website for the victims is one of a smiling one. Why??? Why is everyone smiling???

Why can't we show the world that we have real feelings, tone it down a bit with the positive attitude, there is nothing wrong with that! I understand the victims need to think positive to overcome the pain, poor them, I cried for them so much. But think about how the world will see us. No matter what the terrorists do to us, we just keep on smiling like robots. Smiling, smiling, smiling!!! Where are the REAL expressions of sorrow, depression, sadness, shock. Those expressions do not show weakness, but REALNESS. Our society is so unreal, and others in the world see that, it makes me sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 06:46 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
From what I've learned in life, when people attack others, in whatever way they attack others, they want to see the fear, sadness and shock in the person's face.

You are upset because people can get up, dust themselves off, learn to embrace a new day and overcome. It doesn't mean they forgot or think it was funny, it just means that no matter how many times the idiotic terrorists try to hurt us, we will continue on. And being positive is not a negative thing. Maybe these victims are happy to be alive despite their injuries. Once again, the terrorists did not win.

It must tick them off.

I hope so.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times

Old 04-27-2013, 07:02 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
Where are the REAL expressions of sorrow, depression, sadness, shock. Those expressions do not show weakness, but REALNESS. Our society is so unreal, and others in the world see that, it makes me sad.
Have you not seen all the photos of the victims in absolute anguish, shock, and pain???? There was quite enough "realness" for me!!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
From what I've learned in life, when people attack others, in whatever way they attack others, they want to see the fear, sadness and shock in the person's face.

You are upset because people can get up, dust themselves off, learn to embrace a new day and overcome. It doesn't mean they forgot or think it was funny, it just means that no matter how many times the idiotic terrorists try to hurt us, we will continue on. And being positive is not a negative thing. Maybe these victims are happy to be alive despite their injuries. Once again, the terrorists did not win.

It must tick them off.

I hope so.
I am not upset at the people. I just can not comprehend being terribly injured and soon smiling to the camera from my hospital bed. But that's just me. America is being attacked for many reasons, one of them is the "fakeness" factor. I think a contrary phenomenon might occur, whereas the terrorists won't stop attacking, as they will figure no compassion is needed here.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Have you not seen all the photos of the victims in absolute anguish, shock, and pain???? There was quite enough "realness" for me!!
Of course I have, hence the point. It is devastating. I did not mean the moment of the terrible event, but for example, the hospital photos. Most stories on TV want to portray people with thumbs up. I'm just tired of seeing the unreal, when a REAL tragedy just happened and I AM FEELING SAD about it. It feels fake.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
Of course I have, hence the point. It is devastating. I did not mean the moment of the terrible event, but for example, the hospital photos. Most stories on TV want to portray people with thumbs up. I'm just tired of seeing the unreal, when a REAL tragedy just happened and I AM FEELING SAD about it. It feels fake.
What makes you think their smiles are not genuine? Again, they got injured but I'll bet they are very happy to be alive...and that IS something to smile about. And do you have any sort of proof that America is being attacked for the "fakeness" factor? That's a new one.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

My point exactly.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
[quote=ResearchMom;29323018... terrorists won't stop attacking, as they will figure no compassion is needed here.[/quote]

If terrorists were compassionate they wouldn't be terrorists.

Mom, have you ever lost someone very close to you? If so, you might understand that we go on, laughing and smiling between all the tears. I lost my wife several years ago. She was my life, my everything. She was just fine one minute, dead the next from a ruptured vessel in her wonderful brain. I didn't want to go on living.

The next day her (adult) daughters were at my house, along with several other friends and family members. One daughter was a little like you. She actually got angry with some of us because we were laughing. She simply couldn't understand how we could laugh at a time like that. I think it's quite normal. We laugh, we cry, we feel all kinds of emotions, and most of them come out naturally. I suppose some people stay in a state of gloom and doom for a long time, but I've never seen anyone like that. Most people find some things they can still smile about after a tragedy; it's self-preservation.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Why show the bad guys how much pain and sorrow they have caused? That will only give them satisfaction. Better to show them their victims can smile and carry on and spit in their cowardly faces. It proves to the sickos of the world that no matter what they do, they are not going to defeat the innocent people they are trying to destroy to make whatever misguided point they are trying to make.

And it proves to the rest of the world how weak these cowards are who are too scared to stand up and fight like soldiers against other soldiers equally armed rather than attacking defenseless citizens.

Seeing the victims smiling through their pain and tragedy tells these vermin they did not win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events