Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,962,647 times

Advertisements

Now THAT is a true hero, the man who rescued the three females held captive for about 10 years. America should stop in it's tracks and recognize this true hero and think about that unpaid, selfless act the next time accolades are heaped on others who get paid to do a job. Not referring to the military.

Before bodies are cold there are rounds of backslapping, rushed commentary to praise the cooperation of agencies who spend millions on equipment, training and salaries. Along comes this man who in put himself last and others first and it didn't cost anyone anything.

Fantastic.

Contrast that to the pure BS of what you see even this very minute, celebration for the first responders of hurricane Sandy.

Perspective darn it, perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 10:47 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,506,354 times
Yes he did the right thing which is becoming so rare these days. Fantastic work!

Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,672,707 times
Here's his take on it:
Video: Charles Ramsey on how he helped Amanda Berry escape | cleveland.com

Old 05-07-2013, 03:52 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,179,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Now THAT is a true hero, the man who rescued the three females held captive for about 10 years. America should stop in it's tracks and recognize this true hero and think about that unpaid, selfless act the next time accolades are heaped on others who get paid to do a job. Not referring to the military.

Before bodies are cold there are rounds of backslapping, rushed commentary to praise the cooperation of agencies who spend millions on equipment, training and salaries. Along comes this man who in put himself last and others first and it didn't cost anyone anything.

Fantastic.

Contrast that to the pure BS of what you see even this very minute, celebration for the first responders of hurricane Sandy.

Perspective darn it, perspective.

How is this guy a "hero"? He did not risk anything by helping the girls to safety. I would say he just did the right thing and what was expected of ANYONE.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:17 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,724,063 times
He is a hero--and I don't believe in turning it into a political statement for or against anyone--but he is a hero for saving lives. There are a lot of people who don't want to get involved, who would hear someone screaming and just ignore it. You and I would probably help, but there are plenty of people out there who just don't care.

This guy rushed to help. He could have been risking his life for all he knew but he still did it. He even kicked the door in and got her out. He saved lives. He's as much a hero as the guy who is driving by a lake and hear the screams of a drowning swimmer, stops the car, jumps in and rescues the person.

He got no pay, wasn't in it for the money, just trusted his good instincts and did what a decent person should do. Too bad there aren't more heroes like him these days.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:22 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,584,354 times
Loved his interview -- what a guy, and what a character!! Love to see more interviews, but I've only seen that one. I imagine that he's pretty busy now, giving official police statements for what happened last night, and also over the last year.

McDonald's gave him a Twitter shout out, and said that "he'd be hearing from them", since he mentioned them so prominently. Hopefully, rewards are coming his way.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:04 PM

8,082 posts, read 12,804,222 times
Hero? No. He did the right thing by helping the victims. He did not risk his life, he did not go beyond what SHOULD be expected of a human being.

Hero is an overused term these days. I appreciate what he did but it does not qualify as "Hero status" unless we have lowered the bar to a point that a "Hero" is someone doing the right thing.

Hero = http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/afghanistan.html

Citizen = Mr. Ramsey.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,080,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Hero? No. He did the right thing by helping the victims. He did not risk his life, he did not go beyond what SHOULD be expected of a human being.
Not sure how this equation works. In order to be a hero one has to risk one's life? Does that risk have be known before hand or simply rushing in with any regard to risks real or imagine qualify? As for not going "beyond what SHOULD" be expected. Well we aren't asking Congress to issue a medal, and whose expectations is he suppose to be meeting, yours, mine, whose and were are these expectations written down so that we can all review them so that in the future we will know what is expected of us.

Frankly the fact that one of these girls has been held in captivity for a decade indicates to me that a whole lot of people either didn't or couldn't do what was expected and I bet to the three young ladies he is a hero in their eyes and that's good enough for me.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 PM

6,478 posts, read 6,689,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
How do you know he didn't risk his life??? He must have known it was a dangerous situation when the woman told him she was locked inside. He had no way of knowing what kind of crazy and/or armed people might be inside that house.

I consider him a hero, and I'm certain those 3 women always will!

Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 PM

30,282 posts, read 23,772,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Yes he did the right thing which is becoming so rare these days. Fantastic work!
I remember a thread on CD not too long ago asking people if they would intervene if they saw some kind of domestic dispute. Most everyone said they would "stay out of it" because it wasn't their business. Those of us who said we WOULD intervene were basically called idiots.

I thought of those spineless people on that thread today when I was watching Ramsey for the fifth time.

Thankfully not everyone on this planet is a coward.

Yes, Ramsey IS a hero. Why is he a hero? Because for not a single moment did he hesitate to help someone he saw was in need. Not a single hesitation. THAT is a hero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events