Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 08:22 AM

22,365 posts, read 29,491,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The mother knew he did not do well in a school environment. She tried to get him homeschooled, didn't think he belonged in that school but said she did not have a choice. So I can't blame mom, she also tried for a long time to get his meds right.
How did she not have a choice to get him homeschooled? Simply don't send him to school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 08:31 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Being special needs doesn't mean that society has to accept violence.
That^^.

I am so tired of people saying otherwise.

Old 04-27-2024, 11:19 AM

16,306 posts, read 10,446,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That^^.

I am so tired of people saying otherwise.
Nobody is accepting violence, we are just trying to understand why it happened. I do not believe not sending a teen to school is the answer. But clearly he did not belong in that school, mom knew this but did not have a choice. I believe the system failed here and the teacher paid the price for that.

As for the kid someone with severe autism does not understand right from wrong at times. He is not some punk kid who knew exactly what he was doing. That's why I believe he should be taken off the streets, probably for good, in a mental institution not Riker's Island.

Old 04-27-2024, 11:28 AM

7,598 posts, read 4,174,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Nobody is accepting violence, we are just trying to understand why it happened. I do not believe not sending a teen to school is the answer. But clearly he did not belong in that school, mom knew this but did not have a choice. I believe the system failed here and the teacher paid the price for that.

As for the kid someone with severe autism does not understand right from wrong at times. He is not some punk kid who knew exactly what he was doing. That's why I believe he should be taken off the streets, probably for good, in a mental institution not Riker's Island.
Yes.

Where the school/system failed is in routines and procedures. Playing a video game is not that serious, nor is it serious enough that it needs to stop right when a teacher says to stop. Instead what needs to happen is that there needs to be a plan in place for when students don't follow routines and procedures. If a plan is not in place, then the child should be left alone, allowed to go home, and then staff can start to put a plan in place for the next day.

It might come to a point where administration has to tell the parents that he cannot come to school with his Nintendo Switch. Let the parents deal with the problem at home. Or come up with a plan that parents can reinforce at home so that the child starts following routines and procedures.

Old 04-27-2024, 03:57 PM

16,306 posts, read 10,446,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes.

Where the school/system failed is in routines and procedures. Playing a video game is not that serious, nor is it serious enough that it needs to stop right when a teacher says to stop. Instead what needs to happen is that there needs to be a plan in place for when students don't follow routines and procedures. If a plan is not in place, then the child should be left alone, allowed to go home, and then staff can start to put a plan in place for the next day.

It might come to a point where administration has to tell the parents that he cannot come to school with his Nintendo Switch. Let the parents deal with the problem at home. Or come up with a plan that parents can reinforce at home so that the child starts following routines and procedures.
Oh I think a student playing a video game in glass is serious enough for the teacher to put a stop to it. But this needs to happen in a school with teachers or in this case a teacher's aid, who has the proper training. And of course there needs to be support within the school for any violence that should happen. This is just not the case in a standard school, he should have never been there in the first place.

Old 04-28-2024, 06:16 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
Quote:
Playing a video game is not that serious, nor is it serious enough that it needs to stop right when a teacher says to stop.
Wow. I completely disagree with that.

Old 04-28-2024, 07:00 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 18 days ago)

35,669 posts, read 18,034,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
How did she not have a choice to get him homeschooled? Simply don't send him to school
He was in some kind of therapeutic facility to ty to regulate his meds, that were out of control but had to be regulated in a supervised medical situation. Their rule was that he attend this public school while receiving services.

When you read the mother's story, it's truly a cry for help for juvenile mental health services.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:01 PM

35,188 posts, read 17,102,781 times
Quote:
Yes.

Where the school/system failed is in routines and procedures. Playing a video game is not that serious, nor is it serious enough that it needs to stop right when a teacher says to stop. Instead what needs to happen is that there needs to be a plan in place for when students don't follow routines and procedures.
Are you serious? This is a classroom, not a gaming facility. Discipline must be maintained in the classroom.

Old 04-28-2024, 06:35 PM

10,510 posts, read 4,068,904 times
I feel bad for what happened to the teacher, but at the same time she never should have put her hands on him or touch him or his things. She had 0 authority to do that. You don't put your hands on someone or their property, end of story. This right here is what could happen.

Old 04-29-2024, 07:53 AM

35,188 posts, read 17,102,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I feel bad for what happened to the teacher, but at the same time she never should have put her hands on him or touch him or his things. She had 0 authority to do that. You don't put your hands on someone or their property, end of story. This right here is what could happen.
That is going a bit far. A teacher needs to be able to control the students and the classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events