Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 09:44 AM

9,925 posts, read 4,682,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Oh I think a student playing a video game in glass is serious enough for the teacher to put a stop to it. ............
It is serious being a school especially. Years ago it's used to unless a student had pen, paper and book they could not play or fool around with anything even if a matchbox car. If a teacher told one to put something away you did it.

Setting that aside gaming addiction and gamers rage especially among youth are real issues. Allowing game play anytime would be enabling a game addict.

https://theconversation.com/can-gami...ce-says-168847

https://www.pcmag.com/news/gamer-rag...-players-crazy

Throw in a teen with issues that could be over or under medicated disruptive teens shouldn't be allowed to do what ever they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 12:57 PM

22,365 posts, read 29,491,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That^^.

I am so tired of people saying otherwise.
Bingo!!! Along with mental illness

Old 04-30-2024, 06:32 PM

7,598 posts, read 4,174,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow. I completely disagree with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Are you serious? This is a classroom, not a gaming facility. Discipline must be maintained in the classroom.
Hello, ChessieMom and Jbgusa. I maintain that position because of what Warhorse posted below and for the reason stated in this article which is about this student now trying to sue the school:

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/flag...I367DUY2BN6FM/

Quote:
However, Depa is suing the school in civil court, arguing Flagler County Schools did not follow the correct steps in addressing his documented behavioral and mental issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I feel bad for what happened to the teacher, but at the same time she never should have put her hands on him or touch him or his things. She had 0 authority to do that. You don't put your hands on someone or their property, end of story. This right here is what could happen.
That doesn't mean I prefer for things to be this way. This is just how they are. So instead of being called to the carpet about letting a student (who comes with documentation) play Nintendo, there is the issue that a teacher did not keep her hands to herself, which may not be the documented way to handle him. It was not serious enough that it needed to be *handled right then especially if the teacher could only think of two ways to handle it - verbal direction and then physically. The teacher could have spoken to colleagues or the parents to see how it could be handled differently the very next day.

Last edited by elyn02; 04-30-2024 at 06:41 PM..

Old 05-01-2024, 12:41 PM

35,188 posts, read 17,102,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
That doesn't mean I prefer for things to be this way. This is just how they are. So instead of being called to the carpet about letting a student (who comes with documentation) play Nintendo, there is the issue that a teacher did not keep her hands to herself, which may not be the documented way to handle him. It was not serious enough that it needed to be *handled right then especially if the teacher could only think of two ways to handle it - verbal direction and then physically. The teacher could have spoken to colleagues or the parents to see how it could be handled differently the very next day.
Just because the rules are written in a certain manner does not mean that they can work in the "real world."

Old 05-01-2024, 06:14 PM

7,598 posts, read 4,174,155 times
Quote:
Just because the rules are written in a certain manner does not mean that they can work in the "real world."
True, which is also true for the bolded "rules" written in a certain manner.

Quote:
Are you serious? This is a classroom, not a gaming facility. Discipline must be maintained in the classroom.
Quote:
That is going a bit far. A teacher needs to be able to control the students and the classroom.

Old 05-02-2024, 01:08 PM

746 posts, read 417,867 times
I swear common sense does not exist anymore.

He attacked a teacher over an effing video game...really! How does he react when real life events occur. If you commit the crime then you do the time...size or race is not the issue...mental health issues my ars. Jail time is a must!

Old 05-02-2024, 01:14 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,306,729 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
The article states that he is a special needs student.
who cares. Im so tired of special needs and mentally ill being an excuse.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:38 PM

635 posts, read 329,427 times
I keep trying to type up a post but I'm finding it hard to not get angry at the ignorance. When I first glanced at this thread a while back, I was more entertained by the discussion about "gamer rage" but somehow I missed a lot of the vile and disgusting language that had been used. All I can say right now is that I am happy most of you aren't in charge and calling any shots. It's clear this school district isn't doing much better, if they are failing their special needs students as poorly as the lawsuit alleges. But had some of the posters ITT been running things, he'd have already been lobotomized and locked in a cage at a carnival for the public to gawk at.

Old 05-03-2024, 07:16 AM

16,306 posts, read 10,446,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
I keep trying to type up a post but I'm finding it hard to not get angry at the ignorance. When I first glanced at this thread a while back, I was more entertained by the discussion about "gamer rage" but somehow I missed a lot of the vile and disgusting language that had been used. All I can say right now is that I am happy most of you aren't in charge and calling any shots. It's clear this school district isn't doing much better, if they are failing their special needs students as poorly as the lawsuit alleges. But had some of the posters ITT been running things, he'd have already been lobotomized and locked in a cage at a carnival for the public to gawk at.
Not sure which posts you are referring to but I have always disagreed with the posts that want to treat this young man like a common criminal, like any other functioning person when he is not a normal functioning person.

Having said that I think it's nonsense that a teacher can not take a video game from a student while class in in session. If we allow that we have no structure, students are free to do as they please and that's not how education works.

Old 05-03-2024, 12:48 PM

35,188 posts, read 17,102,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
I think we also have to assure the safety of the professionals who provided dedicated, devoted services under difficult circumstances. Their every move cannot be subject to after the fact second guessing and litigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events