Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 08:50 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

Horrific all around.

The scammer(s) that played both against each other needs to be found and put in prison for life.

And the 81-year old man is rightfully charged with murder. There was absolutely no excuse for what he did, he murdered an innocent, defenseless woman (castle doctrin doesn't apply here).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYr79SF90CM

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/uber-dr...k-county-ohio/

Quote:
An 81-year-old Ohio man has been charged with murder after allegedly shooting an Uber driver who thought she was picking up a package from the man's house. Both appeared to have been victims of scam phone calls, the Clark County Sheriff's Office said in a news release.

The Uber driver, Loletha Hall, was found shot multiple times near 81-year-old William Brock's South Charleston home on March 25. Brock, who had called 911, had an injury to his head and ear and was bleeding when police arrived, according to a police report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 10:44 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,319,833 times
I saw this yesterday and am so sad for this woman and her loved ones.
I really hope there’s some type of punishment for the pranksters

Old 04-19-2024, 02:37 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
I saw that. That is so sad and so horrible. That poor lady.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:37 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
This is so crazy. He didn't need to kill her. But these thieves are getting slicker and slicker. My bro and I and the bf discussed specific code words in case this comes our way. Not to get off topic but someone almost got my neighbor for 50k claiming to be from the FTC. When she said she was waiting for a phone call back from them I was like "Wait, what???" I stopped her immediately

Old 04-19-2024, 10:02 AM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
Story I heard in my 55+ was an unexpected delivery was made to a home, and the homeowner happened to be home. An unknown vehicle was waiting for the delivery driver to drive away and was going to pick up the packages from the porch. Instead the homeowner retrieved the packages and the person in the car said they were hers. Turns out the waiting vehicle got ahold of the CC and address, ordered some pricey items, and followed the tracking number to see when the packages would be delivered. Didn't expect the homeowner to be home. Talk about a scam......

I didn't read the details of the story, but from what little bit I learned from the headlines and comments sounds like the shooter is in the wrong.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:41 AM

1,380 posts, read 724,873 times
I can't believe we actually witnessed the terror this poor woman felt. And then he killed her. It's just a nightmare for all.

Old 04-19-2024, 02:10 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
This is so crazy. He didn't need to kill her. But these thieves are getting slicker and slicker.
Thieves? What thieves? Whoever made those calls was a truly sick puppy whose hope was for mayhem, not loot.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:48 PM

8,229 posts, read 3,490,786 times
I am still not understanding why he shot her. It's crazy.

Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Story I heard in my 55+ was an unexpected delivery was made to a home, and the homeowner happened to be home. An unknown vehicle was waiting for the delivery driver to drive away and was going to pick up the packages from the porch. Instead the homeowner retrieved the packages and the person in the car said they were hers. Turns out the waiting vehicle got ahold of the CC and address, ordered some pricey items, and followed the tracking number to see when the packages would be delivered. Didn't expect the homeowner to be home. Talk about a scam......

I didn't read the details of the story, but from what little bit I learned from the headlines and comments sounds like the shooter is in the wrong.
No they were both scammed. Someone called the guy with a fake kidnapping or something and told him they wanted $12,000 and someone would come pick it up. Then they ordered package pickup via Uber. The man thought she was in on it but she had no clue. He’s absolutely in the wrong, because she was trying to leave when he shot her. She was backing up to the car calling for help and was actually back in her car when he shot her.

Lawyers I’ve seen interviewed think they’ll go with “diminished capacity” due to his age as a defense. What I don’t get is why they don’t go after the scammer. They have to know who it is because Uber said they’ve suspended his account.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

10,088 posts, read 14,959,511 times
You would think that doing a job like Uber means running the risk of getting injured in a bad accident or even killed in a robbery/highjack attempt. Now add this to the list.

Uber should sell bullet proof vests to its drivers. Just saying…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events