Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 06:49 PM

264 posts, read 190,718 times

Advertisements

There is a guy on one of my frequently biked routes that got a new dog recently. He lives at the edge of a trail that is frequented by bikers, runners and other dog walkers in his neighborhood. He's been walking his two dogs along the edge of the woods, a bit away from the trail, unleashed (not legal in my state).

A few weeks ago I came down the road towards the trail as he was walking from his house to the trail. Dogs unleashed. The big new one went crazy when he saw me and it was all the guy could do to hold him. I had to dismount to get through the gate and run up the gravel hill, and just got out of there as fast as possible.

Lots of rain in July so didn't go back till yesterday. Spotted the guy and both dogs well before they saw me, but the big dog eventually got his eyes on me and started towards me. I slowed down and tried to appear less threatening. The guy realized what was happening and yelled for the dog to stop while running to get him (they were not close together). The dog hesitated just long enough for the guy to toss the leash over his head, not clipped on but he was able to yank him back. Thankfully I didn't see them on the way back an hour later.

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on what would work best and is easy to carry on a small road bike. I've seen comments on both pepper spray and horns. I'd prefer not to spray myself, do the horns really work well?

I grew up with dogs and still work with them, and am generally not fearful of animals. But after the first incident with him on his hind legs, snapping at my face and frothing at the mouth, this dog scares the **** out of me. (It also kind of scares me that after that incident, the guy still thinks it's ok to have that dog unleashed while not in his yard......)

Old 07-31-2021, 06:55 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,204,217 times
Bear spray. The big can. Don't be stingy .

Old 07-31-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Bear spray. The big can. Don't be stingy .

Thanks! Will it velcro to the bike? I thought I saw some spray designed with a holder to fit on the bike but they seemed small.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:11 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,740,815 times
it'd be a good incentive for working on your sprints. Or carry bear spray. The anti dog spray HALT! (Which comes with a holder) is mostly useless. Tiny ineffective stream. Its like hot sauce. Bear spray will stop (or slow down) most dogs. I speak from experience. I used to ride quite a bit. If you're on a road bike, you've got a couple of places to mount a frame pump. It'll make a good dog swatter in a pinch and won't injure muttley. Horns are completely useless.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
it'd be a good incentive for working on your sprints. Or carry bear spray. The anti dog spray HALT! (Which comes with a holder) is mostly useless. Tiny ineffective stream. Its like hot sauce. Bear spray will stop (or slow down) most dogs. I speak from experience. I used to ride quite a bit. If you're on a road bike, you've got a couple of places to mount a frame pump. It'll make a good dog swatter in a pinch and won't injure muttley. Horns are completely useless.

Good to know on the horn, that's too bad.

I am reading pepper spray is stronger than bear spray?

Re sprinting there is a gate I need to go under at one end and railroad tracks at the other, so I would also need to learn some mad bunny hopping skills! (and hope there isn't a train coming). It is really the worst place to encounter an aggressive dog on any of my routes

Old 07-31-2021, 08:14 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitis456 View Post
There is a guy on one of my frequently biked routes that got a new dog recently. He lives at the edge of a trail that is frequented by bikers, runners and other dog walkers in his neighborhood. He's been walking his two dogs along the edge of the woods, a bit away from the trail, unleashed (not legal in my state).

A few weeks ago I came down the road towards the trail as he was walking from his house to the trail. Dogs unleashed. The big new one went crazy when he saw me and it was all the guy could do to hold him. I had to dismount to get through the gate and run up the gravel hill, and just got out of there as fast as possible.

Lots of rain in July so didn't go back till yesterday. Spotted the guy and both dogs well before they saw me, but the big dog eventually got his eyes on me and started towards me. I slowed down and tried to appear less threatening. The guy realized what was happening and yelled for the dog to stop while running to get him (they were not close together). The dog hesitated just long enough for the guy to toss the leash over his head, not clipped on but he was able to yank him back. Thankfully I didn't see them on the way back an hour later.

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on what would work best and is easy to carry on a small road bike. I've seen comments on both pepper spray and horns. I'd prefer not to spray myself, do the horns really work well?

I grew up with dogs and still work with them, and am generally not fearful of animals. But after the first incident with him on his hind legs, snapping at my face and frothing at the mouth, this dog scares the **** out of me. (It also kind of scares me that after that incident, the guy still thinks it's ok to have that dog unleashed while not in his yard......)

If you grew up with dogs, and still work with them, why not first talk to this guy and meet him and his dog(s) that present a problem?

Assess the situation first ( what kind of dogs they are by the way?)
The dog might change its attitude once it sees that you interact with the owner.

If you are afraid of dogs IN GENERAL, that would be a different story, but since you grew up with dogs, a simple thing might fix the problem.
And if the owner is a fruitcake, THEN you might consider the spray and whatnot. ( For dogs, not the owner))) )

But you won't know any of it, unless you try to communicate with him first.

I know I would, just to get an idea what I am dealing with exactly.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
If you grew up with dogs, and still work with them, why not first talk to this guy and meet him and his dog(s) that present a problem?

Assess the situation first ( what kind of dogs they are by the way?)
The dog might change its attitude once it sees that you interact with the owner.

If you are afraid of dogs IN GENERAL, that would be a different story, but since you grew up with dogs, a simple thing might fix the problem.
And if the owner is a fruitcake, THEN you might consider the spray and whatnot. ( For dogs, not the owner))) )

But you won't know any of it, unless you try to communicate with him first.

I know I would, just to get an idea what I am dealing with exactly.

It's a rottweiler. On the large side too.

On our first encounter the dog was so completely out of control there was no way I was stopping. As a matter of fact, my typical sarcastic comment of "there's a freakin leash law for a reason" didn't even come out of my mouth. Last thing I need to do is annoy a guy who has an already enraged dog.

The second encounter was at a greater distance, but I'm still watching this guy struggle with holding the dog. At that point, riding down a rock-strewn embankment towards this chaos for a meet and greet is an incredibly stupid idea.

Both times the guy had a difficult time holding the dog back. Not once did the owner toss an apology my way. "Sorry helmets really freak him out" "Sorry I didn't think anyone was coming". I didn't even get the typical "YOU SCARED MY DOG INTO ACTING THIS WAY!!" So he may be a fruitcake, I'm not sure.

I didn't find out exactly which house he lived in until after the second encounter. His neighbor is supposed to talk to him about it.

At this point, yes, I'm a bit afraid of this dog. It outweighs me and it may be able to run faster than I can bike. And its teeth are way bigger than mine.

We have a state-wide leash law. They have a completely fenced in yard. His dog's gone after me twice in a month. If it was my dog, once is once too many. Dog would never be unleashed in public again - and shouldn't be anyway.

The fact that he still was yesterday is why I am considering something. Even if the neighbor tells me all is good, I'm not sure I will believe it till I see it (consistently), and I'd like to be prepared if not. When the weather cooperates I can use that route 3x/week, both ways. I've seen him at different times so it's not like I can alter my time by 10 minutes and miss him. NOR SHOULD I HAVE TO! Since we have a leash law.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:08 PM

35,013 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitis456 View Post
It's a rottweiler. On the large side too.
In my neighborhood today there was an off-leash German Shepherd. It licked me. The only problem was he insisted on my throwing a baseball, again and again. I was afraid it might turn mean if I stopped playing "catch" with him.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In my neighborhood today there was an off-leash German Shepherd. It licked me. The only problem was he insisted on my throwing a baseball, again and again. I was afraid it might turn mean if I stopped playing "catch" with him.

LOL! It's hard to tire them out too!

Old 07-31-2021, 10:06 PM

978 posts, read 673,521 times
At the very least get bear spray, a 4’ chainsaw chain, or something else.
I love dogs, but can’t stand most owners. Most owners are morons, and oblivious to their dogs bad habits.( ot the dogs fault, rather the owner who is not interested in training them).
Here’s whatcha do.
Go speak with your local police. Let them know the situation. Don’t bother with the owner. He knows a damn well what his dogs are doing. Let the police handle him. As for you protect yourself within your legal limits.
If you find yourself facing off with the Rottweiler. Wait your turn. Let him lunge at you. Push the dog away sideways. Then, grasp his hind legs with all your might and spin your body hurling the dog. This will usually end the confrontation with the animal.
The hind leg maneuver is very effective on k-9’s. That’s of course if all else fails. Bear spray, chain saw chain, knife, grab and spin in that order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling