Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 06:36 PM

978 posts, read 673,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

There is rarely a reason to subject a dog to eye irritation that will require medical attention. resolution.
Lmao, this made me crack up. Do bears get medical attention for their sprayed eyes???

Old 08-01-2021, 06:38 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
by yesitis456 "When a large dog is hurtling at me snarling, the last thing I care about is if he'll need his eyes flushed out or not."

Then by all means protect yourself if this attack is in process. Which can be all together thwarted by using a different route. You do you though.
What do you do if being hammered by a dog's tail?

Old 08-01-2021, 08:40 PM

264 posts, read 190,718 times
Quote:
by yesitis456 "When a large dog is hurtling at me snarling, the last thing I care about is if he'll need his eyes flushed out or not."

Then by all means protect yourself if this attack is in process. Which can be all together thwarted by using a different route. You do you though.
Of course I could use a different route, except it's a divided highway and this path was built specifically to allow people to bypass that. I live in a city and am grateful I have this option. I used to have to drive somewhere to bike safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
Lmao, this made me crack up. Do bears get medical attention for their sprayed eyes???
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What do you do if being hammered by a dog's tail?
Mod cut: quoted post deleted.

These made me laugh

I'm away from home for a couple of weeks so won't be out there for a bit. This will give me time to get a good pepper/bear spray to attach to the bike (I thought I read bear spray wasn't as strong ). I think there's a Bass store not too far away so maybe they can help.

Thanks for the suggestions, and it's quite obvious more than one person does not ride and would not understand the nuances of a situation like this.

Also, not a Rottweiler, but a Rottweiler/Mastiff mix. Holy moly that's a big animal!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-19-2023 at 05:33 PM..

Old 08-07-2021, 02:20 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Bear spray IS pepper spray. IIRC It's at a higher concentration than the version people use for self defense.
Also more like a 15-20 foot range and wider cone of fire for the bear spray.

I wouldn't waste time with pepper spray trying to hit a charging dog. Pepper spray is only around ~6-10 feet and surprisingly wimpy. Basically it's like one of those cheap squirt guns you could get at a grocery store for 50 cents as a kid. It's not even all that useful against people. The one time I've had to use it, it did work. It just it took three blasts and some scuffling in between blasts. Dog moves a lot faster and I'd much rather scuffle with a person than a pissed off dog in case the wimpy squirt gun missed.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:34 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitis456 View Post
Thanks! Will it velcro to the bike? I thought I saw some spray designed with a holder to fit on the bike but they seemed small.
are you allowed to use this spray... Id rather report him and make him keep it on a lead.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:16 AM

A couple of days ago, a neighbor's friend was walking a huge Goldendoodle, almost horselike. When the dog's owner came up the street the walker let him off the leash. She bounded for the owner, but I thought she was going to rip my throat apart. The dog's tail solidly indicated danger.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:21 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Also more like a 15-20 foot range and wider cone of fire for the bear spray.

I wouldn't waste time with pepper spray trying to hit a charging dog. Pepper spray is only around ~6-10 feet and surprisingly wimpy. Basically it's like one of those cheap squirt guns you could get at a grocery store for 50 cents as a kid. It's not even all that useful against people. The one time I've had to use it, it did work. It just it took three blasts and some scuffling in between blasts. Dog moves a lot faster and I'd much rather scuffle with a person than a pissed off dog in case the wimpy squirt gun missed.
Surely dangerous dogs should always have leads on, Ive never heard of spraying a dog with anything, surely this would cause health issues.... now Im not saying people should have wild dogs at all , and if they are they should always be on a lead.. but this seems brutal to use a spray.. are they allowed in all states.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:23 AM

30 posts, read 25,885 times
1. As others have recommended, see if you can talk with the owner about him leashing his dogs (you might get his attention with "Hey, ****, leash your **** dog!).

2. File a complaint with the local police department.

3. Taurus Judge.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:07 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,048,180 times
I have pepper sprayed a charging approaching dog and it didn't deter them right away like I hoped. I eventually switched to a taser. It makes a loud crackling noise and a bright light. You can use it as a warning to stay away at a distance. They aren't expensive and you could try it on this dog before he even gets close to you, say as he is giving you a hard stare and see if it causes him to think twice. Dogs don't like the noise and probably not the flash either.

Bonus is you could use it on the owner if you need to.

Example of product on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/VIPERTEK-VTS-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Old 08-07-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
A couple of days ago, a neighbor's friend was walking a huge Goldendoodle, almost horselike. When the dog's owner came up the street the walker let him off the leash. She bounded for the owner, but I thought she was going to rip my throat apart. The dog's tail solidly indicated danger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Surely dangerous dogs should always have leads on....
Such as that huge Goldendoodle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling