Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 23,884 times

Advertisements

Hello I am a 20yr Male currently in college. Over the past three months or so I have been working out 3 days a week on a regular basis and have gained 15 pounds. I am currently 162lbs. I am happy with this weight gain but also have neglected doing cardio and can tell some of the weight I have put on is fat. I have heard that hard cycling in a short time period (30mins i would assume) is more beneficial then running when trying to gain weight as it does not burn as many calories and burns more fat than running. I mainly want to get a good cardio workout from cycling without sacrificing so many calories that my body starts to burn muscle. I would like to cycle after my workouts maybe twice a week. What are your thoughts on it? What should my mile goal be? Any thing else to consider? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 PM

709 posts, read 1,498,103 times
I stopped biking because of the retarded rule that you have to ride on the right side of the road, so if a driver falls asleep and is about to hit you you don't have a chance because he's coming from behind and you can't see him, and you also can't see if you're about to cut someone off at an off-ramp, get bitten by someone's dog riding shotgun, etc. I think it's some sort of a religious brainwashing technique to get people used to putting their lives in the hands of a "higher power" (like an 18-wheeler) or something...

Old 12-24-2008, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 23,884 times
yeah well luckily i live in a rural town in the hill country so in my neighborhood i have plenty or extremely large hills with not very many cars and i don't ever intend on leaving my neighborhood to bike on a busy street or anything like that, but yes i do agree that drivers of automobiles HATE having to share the road with bicyclists.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:05 PM

37,602 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusfinch182 View Post
Hello I am a 20yr Male currently in college. Over the past three months or so I have been working out 3 days a week on a regular basis and have gained 15 pounds. I am currently 162lbs. I am happy with this weight gain but also have neglected doing cardio and can tell some of the weight I have put on is fat. I have heard that hard cycling in a short time period (30mins i would assume) is more beneficial then running when trying to gain weight as it does not burn as many calories and burns more fat than running. I mainly want to get a good cardio workout from cycling without sacrificing so many calories that my body starts to burn muscle. I would like to cycle after my workouts maybe twice a week. What are your thoughts on it? What should my mile goal be? Any thing else to consider? Thanks in advance.
Your body doesn't "burn muscle". It burns calories, for fuel. And you only have one kind of "calorie"...running and biking will both burn them...no difference. If you run out of fuel, your body will let you know that by hunger, or simply being exhausted. The way to lose the fat is to burn more calories in a day than you take in.
It's not rocket science.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:10 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
Your body does take muscle for fuel when you lose weight.The lower you calorie deficit the less trauma to the body and less likely to burn anything but fat.

Just as example:
Cut 200 calories from daily needs = fat burner
Cut 500 from daily needs = fat burner and muscle will go with it sometimes and most likely unless you are hormonally set to be a lean body type
Cut 1000 max cut = will take fat and muscle with the weight.

Any body will get used to whatever cardio you do. I prefer the bike to save my joints. I can burn just as many calories on the bike as I do running.

You daily needs are roughly 2000-2500 calories. If you lose weight on that. Eat 200 calories more every month until you find your calorie threshold. And be careful at you age because a lot of new independent adult habits start to show up on the scale soon. So watch for it. You don't want to try to take off a gut. Make sure you are getting enough protein(too much isnt good either.)

People usually can put on 1 lb of muscle per week. Men are better at this so you might get two..But watch the overeating or the little bit of fat will turn into a lot before you know it.

Start looking at calorie counters and macronutrients to give you the know how of what you should be eating roughly.
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/weight_loss_tools.htm

Old 12-27-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Your body does take muscle for fuel when you lose weight.The lower you calorie deficit the less trauma to the body and less likely to burn anything but fat.
This statement is very misleading. You start using protein (perhaps from muscle, as well as other amino-acid-containing components in the body) for energy under extreme conditions such as starvation and at the tail end of long, hard endurance events where carb stores are in short supply. The average person who works out does not need to worry about this.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:51 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
Carb stores are depleted when you eat less calories than you take in. Dieting or eating less than what you need to maintain your weight does take muscle. Its not misleading. I laid it out clearly with the calorie deficit list.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Carb stores are depleted when you eat less calories than you take in. Dieting or eating less than what you need to maintain your weight does take muscle. Its not misleading. I laid it out clearly with the calorie deficit list.
Those numbers would seem to infer that people should never cut more than 200 cal a day from their diet, when in fact, MOST people (given that we are such an obese nation) should cut 1000, and add strength-building and cardio exercises to their daily routines. Strength training is incredibly important, for everyone, but especially for those cutting calories.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:53 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusfinch182 View Post
True that cycling doesn't burn as many calories as running. As a trainer I would have you lifting and weight training in combination with a DCI that matched your goals. If you are wanting to loose body fat you should incorporate cardio....sounds like you might really benefit from a cross-fit program....this incorporates cardio into your weight training workout so your gaining muscle and shedding fat at the same time by maintaining a target heart rate. There are tons of routines online that you can find for cross-fit and even the PX90 is a great resource.

Whatever you choose to do keep in mind that to shed body fat you need to eat lean, whole foods.....proteins not fat. Be sure to find out what your DCI should be and stay within the range otherwise, you might be doing the opposite of what you want to be doing.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 AM

10 posts, read 50,710 times
does this really work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling