Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:00 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,332,785 times

Advertisements

April 1: 3.4 miles on the treadmill.

April 2: 4.1 miles on the treadmill. I also did weights on this day - I spent about 30 minutes alternating between arms and abs, with only a couple leg exercise thrown in there since I knew I'd be doing the cardio. I did a quick 6 minutes (very fast) on the treadmill to get my heartrate going, then did weights for 20-30 minutes, then did the treadmill for an hour - doing interval speeds of 3.5 mph and 4.5 mph.

April 3: 3.2 miles on the treadmill, as well as weights again. Again, did 6 fast minutes followed by weights, then treadmill. And once again, doing interval speeds of 3.5 and 4.5 mph.

Three good days of exercise, as evidenced by the soreness in my arms and abs. I'll be taking a break from that tonight, with plans to go ahead and do lower body weights tonight. I find that while I don't love going to the gym versus walking outside, I do push myself more. As such, I may go ahead and alternate between being outside in the fresh air and heading to the gym going forward even after the cankerworms have disappeared.

Total mileage for April: 10.7 miles over the course of 3 activities (average walk ~3.6 miles)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 07:47 AM

I'm not even going to go into the difficulty that was last week. I'll just list what I DID manage to do:

April 4: 3.3 miles at the gym, including intervals.

April 5-8: nothing

April 9: 4.3 miles at the gym, including intervals. Also did some weight training.

April 10: I intended to go to the gym for a nice long workout, but my husband left to go out of town and I had a contractor at the house. He was supposed to be done by 3 p.m., but was NOT. By the time he left, the gym was only open for another hour. By the time I got there, I had 30 minutes to do something quick. So I did 2 miles on the treadmill.

As much as I've only been going to the gym to avoid the cankerworms, now that I'm including weights as part of my exercise routine, I may stick to only walking outside on the weekends. I've not done a super-long walk in weeks. If I'm able to build up some miles this week, I'll try to get out for a super-long one (10 miles?) this coming weekend.

Total mileage for April: 20.3 miles over the course of 6 activities (average walk ~3.38 miles)

Old 04-19-2016, 06:23 AM

April has turned out to be a bad month for exercise.

From April 11 to April 18, I've not been able to go out to walk or get to the gym at all. We're dealing with some heavy middle school issues in our household right now, and I felt that I needed to be home to be with my kids versus at the gym.

The good news is that the cankerworm invasion is over, so hopefully this week I'll be able to get out and walk outside again. But will I meet my goals for April? Nope. And that's okay.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:49 PM

25 posts, read 31,481 times
I'm glad to see that I am not the only one using this part of the forum.

I like to read your posts and look forward to your process. Even though I am doing P90X, I live running and have had to take a break from it because I am so sore from the program. I will try to incorporate some running during Phase 2 (after day 30) and try to get my mileage up.

Keep up the good work!

Old 04-24-2016, 10:24 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,731,139 times
I am impress with the amount of walking you are doing. Where do you walk most days and how are you able to fit in hours of walk daily. Then I notice on average you are walking 3 x per week so not too bad. How are you preventing urself from getting bored of walking or trying something else.

How much weight have u lost

Old 04-25-2016, 05:53 AM

I've lost over 20 pounds thus far with my walking and CICO plan. I eat about 1700 calories a day, give or take.

To avoid boredom I take different routes - I live in a suburban area, so I'll walk through different neighborhoods near mine. And when my daughter goes with me, we talk the whole time, so I'm not bored during those walks either.

I walk after work, and can do 3-3.5 miles in an hour, which is not long at all. When I was doing the longer walks (6+ miles) I'd mainly do them on the weekends.

For the past two weeks I've not walked at all, and need to - I've not lost any weight the past two weeks on just calorie counting. The walking definitely helps me.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:35 AM

Thought I'd give an update. No walking since April 11. Fortunately, I've not gained back any of the 20 pounds I've lost, so I'm confident that my caloric level is good, and that once I start walking I'll begin losing again and can adjust as I can continue to go down in weight.

To be honest, I think I got bored with the walking after a while. So the motivation to get back out there was lost once I went a week or two without doing it.

But I do plan on eventually getting back into walking, but for the next two months I'll be doing martial arts 3x a week. I was inspired by a woman who recently told me that she has lost 75 pounds in the past 9 months simply by signing up and doing it 3x a week. I went to a free class at her school this weekend and after only 30 minutes I was sweating and my heart rate was really going - not only that, but I was incredibly sore the following day. So I knew I got a REALLY good workout, which intrigued me. So, between the sweat and the woman's story, I decided to sign up for the school's 2-month free trial - we'll see what kind of results I get over those two months.

The interesting note is that the school is 3 miles from my house, so there is potential for me to WALK there, do the workout, and then walk back home. So I'd get in 6 miles AND a 45-60 minute martial arts workout. If I do that 3x a week, that's PLENTY of calorie burn to get a caloric deficit going, I believe.

So that's where I am right now. My first class is tomorrow night - I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 05-11-2016, 10:42 AM

Martial Arts last night. That stuff is no. joke. I was sweating and breathing hard after only 30 minutes with the instructor. I'm sure my heart rate was in "the zone" the entire time. No wonder that woman who told me about it lost 75 pounds in 9 months.

My fitness app claims I probably burned about 450 calories in that 30 minutes. I believe it. My legs were jello at the end of it and this morning my calves are very sore.

I really enjoyed it, and look forward to going back tomorrow.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:01 AM

All right, starting today I'm back at it.

Went to another martial arts class over the weekend and I was sweating even harder than I did in the private lesson from last week. I'll definitely be doing the classes 3x a week for the next two months to get my "money's worth" out of the free trial period. And I just might sign up for a 1-year membership after all when it's done because I really enjoy it.

Tonight begins walking on another 3 nights of the week. Starting next week Mondays will be my day off from all exercise, but I'm going to go walking tonight in order to at least get started back into it. After this week I'll be walking Sunday, Wednesday and Friday, with martial arts on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday morning.

I've gotten really lazy about using my food app to track my food intake, and the result is that this morning showed a slight gain for the week. And while I know fluctuations can be related to food, water retention, PMS and a host of other things, I don't like seeing a gain at all when I know the likely food culprits (read: indulging in too much ice cream and homemade french fries, bigger portions at dinner, hitting up Chick Fil A twice in one week).

Today I'm suiting up and heading out for a 3-mile walk before the dinner hour. I'm going to walk a mile to get limbered up, and then I'm going to try to jog the last two miles to get my heartrate going as much as it goes at TKD. I'm determined to get back to a 3500-calorie 7-day rolling deficit by the weekend.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:48 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,731,139 times
Good job this is great. I can see you switching from a low impact workout to craving something high impact. Thats when u know you are on right path
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals