Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 12:13 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

The Dr. Rath Health Foundation

What SCARES Big Pharma?

http://www.naturalnews.com/053967_Bi..._business.html

Everything Mike Adams puts down in black and white print, I've been thinking in my mind for decades. WHY, can't/won't pharma develop a drug(s) that don't cause side effects? WHY. They are so brilliant right? Yes, so brilliant to keep everyone needing more drugs.

Big Pharma LOST a lot of my business over the last 30 some yrs. My major turningpoint was a trip to the ER in the 80's from one of their anti inflammatory drugs. It's been a mind blowing, mind opening journey for me.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-25-2016 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 04:00 PM

The Laws of the Pharma Industry:

The Dr. Rath Health Foundation

And yes I know pharma drugs can do good, on the radio this morning an MD researcher was talking about his book and the overuse of antiobiotics in our foods and drugs and the link to obesity and the build up and hence resistance to when one really needs one.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:02 PM

Just reading thru Dr. Rath's info and he talks about the Vit C RDA being ******60mg*****

Looking at this and reading on line the NEW RDA being 75mg for females, 90mg for males. Why more for males? This is absurd for sure. I probably take 2-4K daily of Vit C for OPTIMAL health.

Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) - Vitamin C - DSM

Keep us in poor health with their RDA's. Amazing they give us such a higher potassium RDA. They don't know what they are talking about, most of the govt that is.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:42 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
The RDA does vary by age and gender. Why would you assume it should not? The amount was determined by looking at certain tissue concentrations and seeing what amount maintains those concentrations without excess vitamin C appearing in the urine.

Vitamin C | Linus Pauling Institute | Oregon State University

"In the US, the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin C was revised in 2000 upward from the previous recommendation of 60 mg daily for men and women (Table 1). The RDA is based on the amount of vitamin C intake necessary to maintain neutrophil concentration with minimal urinary excretion of ascorbic acid, presumed to provide sufficient antioxidant protection. The recommended intake for smokers is 35 mg/day higher than for nonsmokers, because smokers are under increased oxidative stress from the toxins in cigarette smoke and generally have lower blood levels of vitamin C."

"Because of the very high benefit-to-risk ratio of vitamin C supplementation, and to ensure tissue and body saturation of vitamin C in almost all healthy people, the Linus Pauling Institute recommends a vitamin C intake of at least 400 mg daily for adult men and women. Consuming at least five servings (2½ cups) of fruit and vegetables daily provides about 200 mg of vitamin C. Most multivitamin/mineral supplements provide 60 mg of vitamin C. To make sure you meet the Institute’s recommendation, supplemental vitamin C in two separate 250-mg doses taken in the morning and evening is recommended."

That recommendation is based on a synthesis of information described in the article. It is higher than the RDA because the Institute sees evidence that there may be value in the higher intake. Note that the 500 mg supplement dose would not be necessary if you consumed enough fruits and vegetables to get that 200 mg from food. If you routinely eat five servings of fruits and veggies a day, you could get by with just one 250 mg supplement a day.

Higher doses are of no value because megadoses of vitamin C just result in a large amount being excreted. Once you exceed 200 mg at a time or 400 mg per day, the additional amount just makes very expensive pee. Get up to 2000 mg orally per day and you may get diarrhea.

About Rath. He has impressive credentials but now is, unfortunately, selling vitamins based on no evidence they do what he claims.

Matthias Rath - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

Mike Adams is also an idiot who has built a marketing empire on pseudo-science and woo.

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.o...ts/mike-adams/

Neither Rath nor Adams is a good source for health information.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:17 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
I hate the term "woo". I try to eat a diet heavy on veggies because I just plain do not like meats, fried, or fast food since my childhood. McD's as a child in the 50's? Can I have a SALAD? My nickname as a kid was Bugs Bunny. What "Woo" did a little child in the 50's know about? Purely my taste preference. My Dad ate Steak and Eggs for Breakfast. YUCK. You cannot blame my parents either, Suzy.

If it isn't in my diet, then it isn't there. I take no supplements at all. How did I ever survive without medicine, or even "Dr. Jenny", keeping me alive into old age?

Sorry, Suzy, you cannot lump us all together, as much as you like to try.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:47 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just reading thru Dr. Rath's info and he talks about the Vit C RDA being ******60mg*****

Looking at this and reading on line the NEW RDA being 75mg for females, 90mg for males. Why more for males? This is absurd for sure. I probably take 2-4K daily of Vit C for OPTIMAL health.

Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) - Vitamin C - DSM

Keep us in poor health with their RDA's. Amazing they give us such a higher potassium RDA. They don't know what they are talking about, most of the govt that is.
RDA's are reductionist thinking... same as supplements.

Speaking of supplements, those companies don't have your interests in mind any more than big pharma does.

High supplementation usage pretty much guarantees that the nutrient balance of your body is out of balance.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I hate the term "woo". I try to eat a diet heavy on veggies because I just plain do not like meats, fried, or fast food since my childhood. McD's as a child in the 50's? Can I have a SALAD? My nickname as a kid was Bugs Bunny. What "Woo" did a little child in the 50's know about? Purely my taste preference. My Dad ate Steak and Eggs for Breakfast. YUCK. You cannot blame my parents either, Suzy.

If it isn't in my diet, then it isn't there. I take no supplements at all. How did I ever survive without medicine, or even "Dr. Jenny", keeping me alive into old age?

Sorry, Suzy, you cannot lump us all together, as much as you like to try.

Why would I blame your parents for anything?

Who am I "lumping together"?

All I did was supply some facts on vitamin C - an article which includes references - and point out that the OP included dubious sources.

Woo is woo, whether you like the word or not.

The point of your post escapes me completely.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
RDA's are reductionist thinking... same as supplements.

Speaking of supplements, those companies don't have your interests in mind any more than big pharma does.

High supplementation usage pretty much guarantees that the nutrient balance of your body is out of balance.
I would not call RDAs reductionist. The previously used "minimum daily requirement" might be, because it implies the lowest amount to prevent symptoms of deficiency, though those amounts usually included a fudge factor above the absolute minimum. The RDAs generally have a reason for the numbers used, such as described for vitamin C in the Pauling Institute link above.

The questions arise when research shows there may be benefit to intakes above the RDA, again as was discussed at the link I gave.

I agree that supplement companies just want to sell supplements, and they use the lack of regulation on their industry to do that.

Big pharma certainly is interested in its bottom line, too, but you do the scientists who produce their drugs a disservice with the blanket denial that there is any interest in the people who use them. In addition, most of the big drug companies have patient assistance plans and will provide free drugs to those who cannot afford them. Do any supplement makers do that?

Old 09-26-2016, 06:26 PM

I don't know who is in business as a past time and not to make profits. EVERYONE.

I prefer to support what works for me and doesn't give me a bunch of side effects. With those side effects, then it's another drug to counter those side effects, a vicious cycle of toxins.

Even the ibuprofen that I thought was pretty innocent, was keeping my blood pressure elevated and spiking for years. GRRRrrrrrrrrrr

Love those Drugs....

It's a cycle for the naysayers to use woo, snake oil, quack...that's what they do best.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:39 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Just because something is natural doesn't make it better or safer than something that is synthetic. After all, cyanide, arsenic, and rattlesnake venom are all natural but none of these substances are healthy for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals