Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 06:50 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am still perplexed at how you think the red rice yeast product is any different from the prescription product. The chemicals in them are exactly the same, atom for atom. The way they reduce cholesterol is exactly the same. What makes red yeast rice better? It's certainly no safer. It's not even cheaper.

How much lovastatin is in each capsule? The label does not say, yet it gives a dose of two capsules twice a day. How was that dose determined? How is the dose standardized: is there the same amount of active ingredient in every capsule? Every batch? How do you know?

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/1..._pub%3Dpubmed&
As long as people take C Q10 with it, it's probably not that bad, but apparently mainstream doctors still aren't advising people to do so. The naturopath a long time ago who put me on ryr at least told me to take C Q10 with it.

For me, another factor is that I am very sensitive to preservatives like BHT and BHA. Also artificial colors that they use to distinguish the dosages. Other people could be sensitive to those additives but not even know it. I know for sure about the BHT and BHA and have to read food labels carefully to avoid it.

And the BHT and BHA that are in the prescription statins could also be carcinogenic. Just google it--the information is out there.

So there are reasons to take a plain and simple product without questionable additives.

The original ryr that I was put on had information on how it was standardized--I don't remember now and am not going to look it up. You just don't go to the drug store or Walmart to buy ryr. You consult a medical person and you back it up with your own personal research. People make fun of google but it's made information a lot more available than ever before.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:37 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Update: as I lay here awake at 4am. I didn't take my usual otc sleep aid since I went to bed a little late.
My roommate, who takes every post heart attack/stent med and still drinks regularly, has been working through a case of wine. He also bought me a bottle of gin and himself tequila. I've had a few drinks and he's halfway through his 2nd, follow on bottle. All this to say I'm not too keen on drinking and even though I may only have a small glass of wine, I'm getting headaches at night. I have a pretty good one now and I didn't drink anything yesterday (except a ton of water).
I'm suspecting the statin...? Now I'll research extra strength Excedrin to be sure it's safe.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:50 AM

okay wow. Side effect of statins - migraine. Yay. I've had them before and Excedrin has worked so I'm going with that. Hope I make it through this yard sale today in theblazing heat.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:37 AM

Great news. Excedrin did the trick. It's always been effective in the past. Maybe step up my vitamin D?

The roommate always wakes up complaining of a headache. So it's not just the sleep apnea he ignores...

Old 07-01-2018, 11:30 AM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
okay wow. Side effect of statins - migraine. Yay. I've had them before and Excedrin has worked so I'm going with that. Hope I make it through this yard sale today in theblazing heat.
As you have to know, there are any number of things that trigger migraines, especially if you're prone to them your current headache may have nothing at all to do with your taking statins.I know for me that blazing heat can be a migraine trigger, or stress. I know the negative publicity surrounding prescription statin drugs tends to blame the world's evils as a direct cause and effect on these drugs, so it's easy to figure it must be the statin when an ache, pain or illness pops up shortly after one has started taking a prescription statin. It's natural to do so, I've been there myself.

And there can be some issues with taking statin drugs, some people can have severe side effects ( from what I'm reading there may be a genetic component to the tendency towards the rhabdomyolysis that some people have), so it's a good idea to be vigilant towards the possibility when one starts taking a statin drug ( and I'd also add the same thing oughta go when one is taking high amounts of a supplement with the same cholesterol lowering ingredient as the prescription drug), and keep those lines of communication open with your prescribing doctor to address any concerns you might have.

What gets lost in all the bruhaha regarding the evils of prescription statin drugs is the fact that many people take statin drugs with no problems at all, and get the positive benefits of doing so. If your doctor has determined that you as an individual, need to take prescription statin drugs to lower a dangerously high cholesterol/lipid level, then it's a partnership between you both, and over time, depending on how those levels and your health go, and you're concerned about taking so much of the drug, perhaps you can talk about measures to lower those statin amounts, taking supplements, life style changes (diet, exercise) which may help to lower cholesterol/lipids.

I'm one of those folks who takes prescription statin drugs- low levels of simvastatin (10 mg/day) for me, have done this for many years (I'm age 70). I also take 300 mg/day of krill oil, and that's helped to keep the LDL and HDL within their normal ranges. I've got a pretty strong family history of cardiac disease, so have to think the statins do something (along with the lifestyle and diet).

I have also noted that my PCP, who prescribes the statin, checks my liver and muscle enzymes and analytes (AST, ALT, bilirubin and CPK) twice a year before I see her. This would be, I imagine, to keep tabs on the statin, and these results have always been within the normal ranges. But I have never had any issues I know of with the simvastatin.

And good luck to you, I hope you can discover, and are able to carry out, what works the best for you and your health.

Here's a good discussion from a good source, regarding side effects, the good and the bads of statin drugs.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20046013

Old 07-01-2018, 07:09 PM

Great post Travel! Thank you so much.

My migraines were mostly connected with my monthly cycle which is no more. I haven't suffered from migraines in a long time. Last night (this morning) was on its way to "full-blown" complete with nausea.

When I Googled it there were a lot of migraine sufferers who hadn't had one in years until they started statins. Seems like more than coincidence. Thankfully I managed to control it and I had fun at the tag sale even though I now look like a lobster.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:25 AM

Yesterday, headache, Excedrin, good to go.
Today, no headache. (I took my son to dinner and had a draft (draught?) beer.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:29 AM

Woke up with no headache. Keep forgetting to get that important supplement.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:33 AM

Had a glass of wine with dinner last night. No headache this morning.
I take vitamins and it's been reading hot so I'm drinking a lot of water.
Just trying to pinpoint headache triggers. Not sure at this point. Haven't had one for a while.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:27 PM

Quick note, forgot to mention, stress can cause elevated cholesterol. Or so my doctor says. Life is somewhat stressful right now.

Also the headaches were noticeable whenI put reading glasses on. Like they were too tight.
Glad I'm not dealing with that much.
OH I picked up some of that supplement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals