Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times

Advertisements

You are so out of touch with Dayton you really shouldn't comment on it any further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 03:38 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
You are so out of touch with Dayton you really shouldn't comment on it any further.

I readily admit to being totally out of touch with Beavercreek, Centerville, the likes of Huber Heights and Kettering and even Miami township, the last know residence of a cousin, but I doubt that I am out of touch with Dayton.

I suggest you follow what you want to follow and support it/them to your heart's content, and I'll follow what I want to follow and post what I believe to be correct.

And (comment for the moment), unlike many cities, Dayton has four directions: north, south, east and west.

From Third and Main, it's about four miles to the V.A. (that's west, but not "west side" or "West Dayton"). And, north of West Third street the city is farther west than the V.A. address. It's about four miles to the north corporation limits (that's north, but not "North Dayton" or "Old North Dayton"). The east is not quite so far, and the south is only about a mile and a half down Main, but it is farther south going southwest and southeast.

Dayton goes in four directions unlike towns like Cincinnati, which essentially has no south side.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:46 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times
^^ Turn it into Trivial Pursuit all you want, I have given you ample evidence of what the modern day West Side is and that there is also an East End/Side. Though there are four cardinal points to Dayton, no one says they are in the south side or the north side in relation to Dayton. There is Old North Dayton, but unlike the West Side, Old North Dayton refers to a neighborhood and not the North Side.

Please have a few "last word posts" on the house. I am done here.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
From Third and Main, it's about four miles to the V.A. (that's west, but not "west side" or "West Dayton").
It most certainly is in West Dayton. I can't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:

From Third and Main, it's about four miles to the V.A. (that's west, but not "west side" or "West Dayton").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It most certainly is in West Dayton. I can't see how anyone could argue otherwise.
Dayton VA Medical Center, Ohio Home

See street address: 4100 West Third. As that is the southwest corner, perhaps the critics would like to unite and call it "southwest Dayton." There is a Southwest Priority board.

As stated, it is west, but not "West Side" as there is no longer any area officially named "West Side" and neither is there any area officially named "West Dayton."

Old 06-29-2012, 02:13 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
I happened upon this thread a couple of weeks ago and jumped down the rabbit hole, so to speak. I was born and raised in Dayton, and my internet connection has been burning up researching all sorts of things I never knew about my hometown due to this thread.

In college, I lived in a ratty apartment not far from the Kossuth Colony. My now husband lived in a house near Children's Hospital that has since been demolished. Of the many surprises I've uncovered about the area, I was shocked to find out that a dilapidated low-slung house just a couple of doors down, which we affectionately referred to as the neighborhood crack house, dates to 1829 and was an inn on the old Miami-Erie Canal.

My family is having a bit of a reunion in Dayton in just a few weeks. I am looking forward to sharing my newfound knowledge of my hometown with them. And, of course, we'll also eat the obligatory cabbage roll at the Amber Rose. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, folks!

Old 06-29-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I happened upon this thread a couple of weeks ago and jumped down the rabbit hole, so to speak. I was born and raised in Dayton, and my internet connection has been burning up researching all sorts of things I never knew about my hometown due to this thread.

In college, I lived in a ratty apartment not far from the Kossuth Colony. My now husband lived in a house near Children's Hospital that has since been demolished. Of the many surprises I've uncovered about the area, I was shocked to find out that a dilapidated low-slung house just a couple of doors down, which we affectionately referred to as the neighborhood crack house, dates to 1829 and was an inn on the old Miami-Erie Canal.

My family is having a bit of a reunion in Dayton in just a few weeks. I am looking forward to sharing my newfound knowledge of my hometown with them. And, of course, we'll also eat the obligatory cabbage roll at the Amber Rose. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, folks!
I'm sending you a link by private message to a site you might find interesting (in case you haven't already found it). If nothing else, it might cut down one the internet searching.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
I'm sending you a link by private message to a site you might find interesting (in case you haven't already found it). If nothing else, it might cut down one the internet searching.
I love the thrill of the chase, but I'm grateful for the link nonetheless. I spent some time this morning planning a trip to the AF Museum, Carillon Park, and Hawthorn Hill for my youngest child, who is obsessed with all things airborn. I also perused photos of the flood. Amazing!

The Kossuth Colony is an interesting story. The stockade fence, according to one source I read, was torn down by the residents to build rafts for rescue efforts following the March 1913 flood. It was not, as some seem to suspect, meant to keep the Hungarian workers in, but rather to keep other companies from poaching Barney & Smith's employees in a tight labor market.

I also enjoyed reading about the beginnings of South Park and St. Anne's Hill, both of which were the homes of previous generations of my family. I suspect the troublesome youth from Sliderstown (now South Park as I understand it), who wreaked such havoc on Patterson's factory windows might have included some of my paternal ancestors!

Last edited by randomparent; 06-29-2012 at 04:09 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 11:59 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post

RandomParent - glad that you liked the thread that I created!! Cheers!

Old 03-29-2016, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 786 times
Default Memories of Spending Time in the West Side Colony As A Child

I remember visiting my Hungarian-born paternal grandparents who lived in the West Side Colony, near the railroad tracks on the north side of Edison Street. I thrilled to the locomotive whistles and the waves from the engineers as the trains steamed their way through the intersection. I can still see my grandfather's old truck parked between the railroad tracks. Their home and the home next to it where a aunt and her family lived still stand.

My Hungarian-born maternal grandmother lived further out West Third Street on Ventura Avenue. Her mother and step-father owned the property before her.

Her two older sisters owned bars-restaurants. One was called "The Loop". My mother says she remembered it being located on Main St., at the end of the bus line at that time. She says the other location was somewhere on Wayne Avenue. She does not remember the name.

My mother has a photograph of my maternal grandmother, her two older sisters and two younger sisters (all born in Hungary) at a celebration at Kenders.

The husband of one of my great-aunts worked at Maleable Iron. My mother tells the story of how when she was young he would smile and wave to her from an upper story window as she walked by.

Hungarian names associated with my ancestors are: Bakos, Bysak, Cszpanyi (spl.), Gulyas, Hegedus, Kovacs, Szegedy(i), and Vargo(a). Pictures of some of the people can be found on the Find A Grave website.

I have never been to the Amber Rose restaurant. I plan to do so soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton