Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 05:05 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieF View Post
Eliza! I remember you saying, at some point, that you would be traveling to Italy. So glad you had a wonderful trip. Was it your first? My parents say they took us to Rome when I was about four. I have no memory of that trip at all, and, sorry to say, I haven't been back. How did you plan your trip?

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Lori

Hey Julie..........Thanks. No, we were there once before. It was one of those tours where you visit 11 cities in 14 days. Whew!!! We liked Italy the best so decided to go and see more of Rome and Florence.
We planned our trip through a travel agency but will do it ourselves the next time.
I wasn't confindent of getting around but now I am cuz we did a lot on our own this time. it was a monogram tour where you have mostly free time and that was great.
All you need is a Rick Steves book and a computer..........then you are all set.
have a great day Julie and enjoy that turkey.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:27 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
Poking my head from the kitchen just to wish everyone safe travels, good eating and a happy day!

Charley

Old 11-22-2007, 08:08 PM

137 posts, read 313,655 times
Default Happy Thanksgiving

We just celebrated a great day with family and friends here in Florida. Our Delaware kids went to NY to celebrate with our NY kids. Wish we could have been there, too.

Today was my first Thanksgiving without turkey. LOL! Our friend who was roasting a free range bird couldn't tell if it was done, so we didn't eat it. She decided to keep it in the oven a while longer, and we ate the ham. We also had cake for dessert instead of pumpkin pie. Oh, my! It all goes to show that we can indeed celebrate being with people that we love more than the food we eat. Of course, I imagine lots of folk have traditions coming from other cultures that don't involve turkey, etc., but you all know what I mean, I hope.

Update on my mom--she has come around to the idea that she is going to have to have help, so moving to Delaware to be near us has become a very attractive idea for her. Barring any other retirement home in Dover which could be more suitable for her, it looks like Westminster Village Assisted Living will be her new home come spring. The challenge for us is to figure out how to manage daily life from now until then.

Eliza--Welcome home. We missed you! Glad to hear you say "next time" you go to Italy. Did you find the more expensive Euro a problem?

Lori--I hope you will have time now and then to let us know how you are adjusting to your move.

Charley--so how did your feast turn out?

J

Old 11-23-2007, 04:46 AM

[quote=sanddollar;2067860]We just celebrated a great day with family and friends here in Florida. Our Delaware kids went to NY to celebrate with our NY kids. Wish we could have been there, too.

Update on my mom--she has come around to the idea that she is going to have to have help, so moving to Delaware to be near us has become a very attractive idea for her. Barring any other retirement home in Dover which could be more suitable for her, it looks like Westminster Village Assisted Living will be her new home come spring. The challenge for us is to figure out how to manage daily life from now until then.

Eliza--Welcome home. We missed you! Glad to hear you say "next time" you go to Italy. Did you find the more expensive Euro a problem?

Lori--I hope you will have time now and then to let us know how you are adjusting to your move.

Charley--so how did your feast turn out?

J[So nice to see you on line. I was just thinking of you yesterday when I passed your sons house.
Glad to hear your Mother is willing to make the major change in her life for the better.
You will get through the next few months till you get her situated. Just one day and one step at a time
Sorry we didnt' get to get together before you leftBeen so busy with getting ready for the trip and thanksgiving which I had by the way.
meal was great and easy this year. Went to KFC for cole slaw and mashed potatoes, steamed my veggies in the microwave, stuffed Tom with stove top, open jars and cans for condiment (pickles, olives and such)
made a Mrs. Smith Sweet potato pie.
My family came here for our first Thanksgiving in our home. Unfortunately, I'm still on Europe time and caught a nasty cold so I was not all that jolly but the rest were and I'm glad they had a nice thanksgiving.

today is Black Friday and for the first time in 35 years I'm not moving. .feels so good too. I did some shopping on line before we left for our trip. Most want money or certificates so that is easy. So I'm just going to enjoy my grand daughter today and maybe see Santa later

I think the American dollar is worth around$1.40 in Euros. The trick is there is a lot of free stuff to see and enjoy. meals in Italy were just so so and expensive especially in Venice. but this was planned so we went.
Next time, Bill and I would love to do the Mediterranean Cruise with Turkey included.
Won't be for a while or we will be in the poor house.
For those of you out fighting the shopping crowds, you have my sympathy.

Have a great day everyone.............[/color][/b]

Old 11-24-2007, 09:07 AM

199 posts, read 938,313 times
Alright! A rambling threat. I do that anyway, so, now I feel safe.:

Lori,
Good luck and stay in touch when the dust settles and you get a chance to come back and say hello on the forum.

Elizamary,
Welcome back! Did you make him croon during the gondola ride? Or, is at the bottom of a canal in Venice? I went to Italy once, and it was closed.
Naw. I was passing through on the way to Spain. Oh, by the way, don't bet your Southern Meadows house on not getting too much snow in DE. In the winter of 2003, MD and DE had a record snowfall. We had managed to escape by moving to AZ in August 2002.

Charlie and Rockky,
You guys are getting snow and I'm sitting outside in a tee shirt, drinking a beer.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:08 PM

Hi everyone,

The "feast" was wonderful. We went to my cousin's house and brought with us sweet potatoes and marshmellows, string bean casserole, apple pie, oreo cheesecake, strawberry cheesecake, chocolate peanut butter cheesecake, and pineapple-cranberry sauce served in a hollowed out pineapple ... all made from scratch! There were 28 people and enough food to feed fifty - and not much leftover! The diet has re-started.

Peewee - the temperature on Thursday was 70 degrees when we hit the road, about 40 and windy when we got home, and in the high 20's the next morning. I'm jealous.

Elizamary - your tour through Italy sounds like my last tour through Delaware. 14 55+ communities in three days ... lol. It sounds like you had a great time.

We're still on target for a trip to Dover starting on Dec 27th with plans for either lunch or dinner at "Where Pigs Fly" on the 28th. I'm leaving that open depending on who might be joining us and when the best timing is.

I hope everyone enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Charley

Old 11-25-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Alright! AElizamary,
Welcome back! Did you make him croon during the gondola ride? Or, is at the bottom of a canal in Venice? I went to Italy once, and it was closed.
Naw. I was passing through on the way to Spain. Oh, by the way, don't bet your Southern Meadows house on not getting too much snow in DE. In the winter of 2003, MD and DE had a record snowfall. We had managed to escape by moving to AZ in August 2002.

Charlie and Rockky,
You guys are getting snow and I'm sitting outside in a tee shirt, drinking a beer.

I'm so thick. For a few moments I'm trying to figure out why they would close Italy???

No gondola ride this time. To tell you the truth, it is a money making experience which cost $40 a person for a half hour then you got to tip the gondolie. Besides, we did that before when we were there and that was enough. Guess you gotta do it once.
I dont' mean to sound like an unromantic but there are pick pockets and tourist traps all over the place.
While waiting for our train to Florence, a young pickpocketer was trying to pick my pocket. Our guide warned her then didnt' the brat spit on the guide. I couldn't believe it. She was so brazen and fresh.
I wore my money around and under my arm under a shirt.
Anyway,
We got a grand tour of Venice by bus. Water Bus that is. It was wonderful and cost $13 for all day. We got off of a few stops. it was nice and we both enjoyed.
Besides, the canals were all over the place and I could of push him over anytime.
He is alomost 6' and the canal is 4 or 5 so that wouldn't of worked.
Instead,
I had to worry about him pushing me over

Old 11-25-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Hi everyone,

, and pineapple-cranberry sauce served in a hollowed out pineapple ... all made from scratch! There were 28 people and enough food to feed fifty - and not much leftover! The diet has re-started.

Peewee - the temperature on Thursday was 70 degrees when we hit the road, about 40 and windy when we got home, and in the high 20's the next morning. I'm jealous.

Elizamary - your tour through Italy sounds like my last tour through Delaware. 14 55+ communities in three days ... lol. It sounds like you had a great time.

We're still on target for a trip to Dover starting on Dec 27th with plans for either lunch or dinner at "Where Pigs Fly" on the 28th. I'm leaving that open depending on who might be joining us and when the best timing is.

I hope everyone enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Charley
Holy smokes charlie, no wonder you in the kitchen for days. Sounds scrumptous. Bill is a goodie lover and LOVES his desserts. He would be sooooo jealous. Cheesecake is his favorite.
Glad you had a great thanksgiving but now the diet. Between Italy and thanksgiving i'm feeling the pinch. Opps should I say buldge

As far as the temps on T day........I hated it. Too hot and while tom was cooking in the oven, I was cooking too. Sweating and feeling very uncomfortable. Put the air on for a while and bill yelled how stupid that was. but dont' worry, I put him in his place

I know what you mean about visiting 14 communiities in 3 days. Wheww. We visited 3 cities in 11 days this time which isn't bad. I'm still on European time thought but it is getting better. got up at 7 today instead of 3.

Yeah, we are still on for Dec 28th. Getting close.

Who else is game? Anyone care to chime in?

Old 11-25-2007, 05:57 AM

This is always that time of year where weight gain is the biggest problem for me. I always need motivation for weight loss, so I've chosen what would be considered a most ridiculous goal. At my current 265 pounds, bad knees and minor cardiac issues, I've decided that I'm going to walk the 2010 New York City Marathon.

(Charley sits quietly and waits for the laughter to die down before continuing.)

Here's the way I figure it. It's three years away, so if I can lose one-half pound a week, which is certainly possible, I'll weigh about 190. The reduction in weight, along with the increase in muscle from training will help to support (and remove pressure from) the knees and will also reduce the minor cardiac issues.

As I work toward this, if we get to 2010 and I find that I can't really compete, at least I will have lost some good weight and transformed my body into better condition than it is today. So even if I don't make it to the Marathon, I'll at least have improved myself healthwise.

I race-walked the Marathon in 1988 and 1992 and I think I have the right level of "mental toughness" that can get me through the process. I'll be 58 years old for the race and there are thousands of competitors in their 60's, 70's and 80's!

... and yes, I've factored in the fact that I will be visiting "Where Pigs Fly" a few times between now and then.

Charley
(who loves a challenge)

Old 11-25-2007, 07:03 AM

hi Charlie,

2010? why not start small now. Take a few little walks and gradually work your way up to the big marathon.
Don't put off till tomorrow if you can do it today.
A little at a time and you will be as healthy as a fiddle. Whatever that means.
I'm doing bad myself. Love turkey skin. all that fat has got to be killing me.
got to get to the store tomorrow for salad stuff.

If you believe that then I will tell you another one. LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware