Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:28 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times

Advertisements

Our old Off Topic Chat Thread has been buried pretty far back so I thought I would start a new one.

Here are the rules about Off Topic Chat Threads in a State Forum - They have to be somewhat Delaware related, not Controversial and not about US politics, or politics in General.

We are only allowed two stickies per forum so this cannot be one of them, but I'll add a link to this one in the sticky for newbies.

Now, Let's chat!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 11:28 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
What a beautiful day. I hope every had a chance to get out. The trees are lovely and the Rehoboth boardwalk and beach were great. 70 degrees and light crowd. Stopped and had a couple of beverages at the Coffee Mill off Rehoboth Ave. I love off season.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:45 PM

27 posts, read 65,405 times
It was a most beautiful day. I took my dogs for a long walk , did my exercise and then cleaned windows. I wish I had of been at the beach. The trees are truly turning beautiful.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:43 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,223 times
I enjoyed this pleasant day off! I ran 8.5 miles at Delaware Seashore-Fresh Pond after stopping at the Bethany Dunkin', and then I went hiking at James Farm. The trees started peaking last week and we are having an extremely colorful fall this year--even better than last year which is hard to beat. We peaked late this year though due to warmer temps. However, the peak is lasting longer and I've taken over 100 photos so far. This is my favorite time of the year, hands down. Our social calendar is booked every weekend from September through December because we finally come out of hiding after Labor Day (we don't really do summer events--too many people/traffic). There's just SO much going on, there's almost too much to do around here!

Old 11-12-2014, 04:41 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Beachliz....I know what you mean. This is the most wonderful time of the year! Finally, the air is more crisp, the people are gone, and we can enjoy ourselves. We don't do summer things at the beach, either.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:47 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Yesterday, DH and I went to the boardwalk for a walk before the Veterans Day ceremony at the gazebo. The Cape High School band did a wonderful job and a 90 year old man finally received his Purple Heart after a 7 year effort by his children and the assistance of the VFW and American Legion of Rehoboth. A wonderful, fitting and emotional tribute to a man who is truly a "hero". We owe all Vets a debt of gratitude and ditto those on active duty. Also not to be forgotten, are the families of these men and women. Could not have been prouder yesterday.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 AM

Anyone bored and interested in learning a new hobby?? The Sussex County Amateur Radio Emergency Service will offer a Technician Amateur Radio class Saturday and Sunday Dec. 6 and 7, at Sussex Technical High School in Georgetown. The class is open to the public interested in obtaining an amateur radio (ham) license.
http://capegazette.villagesoup.com/p...getown/1267726

Old 11-12-2014, 08:43 AM

319 posts, read 504,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Anyone bored and interested in learning a new hobby?? The Sussex County Amateur Radio Emergency Service will offer a Technician Amateur Radio class Saturday and Sunday Dec. 6 and 7, at Sussex Technical High School in Georgetown. The class is open to the public interested in obtaining an amateur radio (ham) license.
Technical Amateur Radio class set Dec. 6-7 in Georgetown - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA
Very nice. I haven't done HAM radio since college. It was the perfect activity for
an aspiring engineer to design and build antennas. Many fond memories chatting
with people when the Berlin wall was taken down and being able to get
many HAM training materials and supplies from Radio Shack.

If it is of any help, there is a very good shop in New Castle just off RTE 40 in the
area you pass when you take the New Castle exit right off the DE Memorial Bridge.
I forgot the name.

I am totally out of practice, but I understand they no longer require morse code?

Call sign….

di-dah-dah di-dah-dah-dah-dah dah-di-dah dah-dit

Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post

I am totally out of practice, but I understand they no longer require morse code?
The technician license does not require code. The other levels of Amateur Licensing do.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:49 PM

319 posts, read 504,386 times
Since this is the off topic thread, I thought it would be appropriate to post here.

While driving in Dover after visiting a government office, going west on W. North Street, I saw an an Amish buggy moving right along.

Staying behind 30 yards behind the buggy, I slowed down and just enjoyed the ride with a plan to pass
safely when the road got bigger and it was safe to pass, meaning a dotted yellow divider and no
cars approaching in the opposite direction. As we were in the center of Dover, there was literally
just enough space for 1 car in each direction, and no place to pass. I was disappointed how 2 other drivers
illegally passed me, drove right up to the buggy, and proceeded to tailgate it and then illegally
pass it, effectively cutting it off in traffic. I was disappointed as the gentleman driving the buggy
is certainly entitled to commute on the roadway. Such action that I observed can certainly spook
even the most experience horse.

If you drive in Kent county near dover occasionally you may come upon a buggy, so I thought
I would post this info about driving around them. And please, exercise a little bit of patience.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/pdf/AEX_596_08.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware