Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 04:44 PM

837 posts, read 853,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
There are actually towns south of Dover and the end point could be Salisbury.
It would make a lot more sense to end such a line all the ay to Salisbury, but I decided to focus on New Castle and Kent Counties, especially since that's what makes up the Philadelphia CSA, and since driving from Dover to 30th St Station takes about 90 minutes, then such a service may take up to about 2 hours, considering each stop along the planned route!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 09:57 PM

6,148 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
It would make a lot more sense to end such a line all the ay to Salisbury, but I decided to focus on New Castle and Kent Counties, especially since that's what makes up the Philadelphia CSA, and since driving from Dover to 30th St Station takes about 90 minutes, then such a service may take up to about 2 hours, considering each stop along the planned route!!!
That's fine, except the thread is about passenger rail in downstate DE.
I'm about equidistant from Dover, Salisbury, and the beaches and I wish I could save all the gas and driving.

Old 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM

837 posts, read 853,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
That's fine, except the thread is about passenger rail in downstate DE.
I'm about equidistant from Dover, Salisbury, and the beaches and I wish I could save all the gas and driving.
I'm pretty sure that Kent and Sussex Counties are considered Downstate DE. If there was a lot of traffic going from Salisbury to Wilmington, then there would've been more priority, but a Dover to Philadelphia route via Wilmington makes a lot more sense to resurrect.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:10 PM

3,963 posts, read 2,347,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
A rail service downstate is very possible, however I'm not sure if the state of DE nor the private interests that are interested in such a venture are actually putting forth the effort in creating such a service. A rail service between Philadelphia and Dover via Wilmington would definitely work, especially with growth in downstate DE. There would be the following stations along this route N to S:

- Philadelphia (30th St)
- Chester
- Wilmington
- Collins Park
- New Castle
- Rt. 13 - 40
- Bear
- Kirkwood
- Mt. Pleasant
- Middletown
- Townsend
- Clayton - Smyrna
- Cheswold
- North Dover
- Dover
- South Dover

If that were to happen, you'd see ridership increase since there seems to be a trend of getting people out of their cars into mass transit. If it can work for FL with the Brightline and Tri Rail, it can work for DE!!!
I was going to suggest Brightline HSR but there would be less stops from what you are proposing. Wilmington, Newark, Middletown, Dover, Rehoboth Beach, maybe connecting rail service to Lewes to the Ferry north and Bethany Beach south.

Old 04-12-2024, 08:41 AM

3,446 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I was going to suggest Brightline HSR but there would be less stops from what you are proposing. Wilmington, Newark, Middletown, Dover, Rehoboth Beach, maybe connecting rail service to Lewes to the Ferry north and Bethany Beach south.
That earlier comment from wanderer, felt like a little too many stops. I think whay you said is a reasonable number of stations though, though I'd also add one for the town of Milford. But that's just me.

South of Dover, potentially there should be 2 branches. One to Rehoboth(maybe also Bethany, or a bus connection could at minimum be established?), and another to Salisbury, MD. But that's just me. I guess if it didn't went all the way to Salisbury, having a station in Delmar, DE might be nice. Seaford and Harrington might be able to support a station, on a Salisbury branch.

Old 04-12-2024, 03:57 PM

6,148 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I would definitely add Milford and Bethany on a beach branch with Ocean City a good final destination. Inland after Dover would be Harrington, Bridgeville, Seaford, Laurel, Delmar, Salisbury. Might save some gas and traffic accidents.

Old 04-13-2024, 11:20 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Any well-planned rail expansion in Delaware will probably start with the basic connecting points first with overlapping service to Amtrak and SEPTA in Wilmington (and potentially Newark) with Middletown, Smyrna and Dover. The second phase could add an intermediary with Milford and a Georgetown terminus. A private transit company or Sussex County Transit could easily fulfill a Georgetown to Lewes-Rehoboth shuttle.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:44 AM

3,963 posts, read 2,347,763 times
Ocean City, MD would be a good final destination. I am a former DE resident living in the Poconos so I am familiar with the area. In the summer months, this proposed route would be packed. The Beach Express: Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach, Salisbury, Ocean City.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:45 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
it's those pesky other 8 months of the year when no one would be riding the train that makes it unrealistic.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:35 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
it's those pesky other 8 months of the year when no one would be riding the train that makes it unrealistic.
I agree that passenger traffic would be lighter than the summer but this place is hopping all year now and if I were to be a betting person - I would say Jan and Feb for sure would be light but there are so many things going on the "formerly known as the shoulder season" that I think it would be pretty decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware