Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 05:41 PM

446 posts, read 249,730 times

Advertisements

Delaware's last regular downstate pax train was this one which ended in 1965...

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...-months/253560

Now there is talk of returning passenger rail to the downstate...

https://www.wboc.com/news/delaware-e...d1bac24d3.html

https://www.wrde.com/news/early-phas...8ebc7d715.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 11:19 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
in terms of ridership I don't see it today as any more sustainable than it was in 1965.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:32 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
I think, just opinion here, that it could be successful IF it were to come down to the beaches, but the stop is in Dover which is a 40 minute trip from Rehoboth. There is limited transportation directly here, and I can't see many wanting to transfer from a train to a bus to sit in traffic, especially in the summer. BUT I have been wrong before.

Old 12-13-2023, 06:19 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
I would love rail service going north. It seems any form of public transit should be considered, considering the climate and fossil fuels, etc. But how much better it would be to train up north to shop and not have to drive, pay tolls, try to park. And Nuts is right about transit to the beach and how about Easton? In Easton, there's a bus to the airport, but it's a long long drive to Easton. The time is right. I hope it happens.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:19 AM

9,719 posts, read 14,256,523 times
I'm the No-Sayer. I don't think it's going to happen....especially with all the "conserving energy" thing going on. It was fun, a few years ago, when we boarded the train in midstate DE which took us to the Delaware State Fair (also once known as the "Harrington Fair", "Kent-Sussex Fair", and now the "Delaware State Fair")

Old 12-17-2023, 07:08 AM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Delaware has a connectivity issue with other states (outside of service in/out of Wilmington and Newark on SEPTA or Amtrak) when comparing to services offered in Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. As a state in the same region the drop-off in transit accessibility is substantial. A state-funded rail system that extends from Wilmington south to Georgetown seems most logical with intermediate stops in Middletown, Smyrna, Dover and Milford. Local jurisdictions could hopefully provide connecting bus service to the beach communities out of Milford for example, as well as Dover services to/from the state capitol and state government facilities.

Old 12-24-2023, 07:32 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
.....A state-funded rail system that extends from Wilmington south to Georgetown seems most logical with intermediate stops in Middletown, Smyrna, Dover and Milford....
Good idea. If the service connected to Dover Air Force Base, Federal money could be supplied.

Would there be interest in a regular bus system between Wilmington and the University of Delaware in Newark? It would need to connect to a campus bus system. Perhaps there would be a couple of intermediate stops. It could serve students wanting to go home on weekends.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 554 times
such is the case.

Old 01-18-2024, 09:37 AM

836 posts, read 851,366 times
A rail service downstate is very possible, however I'm not sure if the state of DE nor the private interests that are interested in such a venture are actually putting forth the effort in creating such a service. A rail service between Philadelphia and Dover via Wilmington would definitely work, especially with growth in downstate DE. There would be the following stations along this route N to S:

- Philadelphia (30th St)
- Chester
- Wilmington
- Collins Park
- New Castle
- Rt. 13 - 40
- Bear
- Kirkwood
- Mt. Pleasant
- Middletown
- Townsend
- Clayton - Smyrna
- Cheswold
- North Dover
- Dover
- South Dover

If that were to happen, you'd see ridership increase since there seems to be a trend of getting people out of their cars into mass transit. If it can work for FL with the Brightline and Tri Rail, it can work for DE!!!

Old 01-18-2024, 10:43 AM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
A rail service downstate is very possible, however I'm not sure if the state of DE nor the private interests that are interested in such a venture are actually putting forth the effort in creating such a service. A rail service between Philadelphia and Dover via Wilmington would definitely work, especially with growth in downstate DE. There would be the following stations along this route N to S:

- Philadelphia (30th St)
- Chester
- Wilmington
- Collins Park
- New Castle
- Rt. 13 - 40
- Bear
- Kirkwood
- Mt. Pleasant
- Middletown
- Townsend
- Clayton - Smyrna
- Cheswold
- North Dover
- Dover
- South Dover

If that were to happen, you'd see ridership increase since there seems to be a trend of getting people out of their cars into mass transit. If it can work for FL with the Brightline and Tri Rail, it can work for DE!!!
There are actually towns south of Dover and the end point could be Salisbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware