Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 10:48 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times

Advertisements

Well, I live in western Sussex, the forgotten country to most people, and I know I would like to get to the beach area off season, Wilmington and points in between, and Salisbury, where I used to work, maybe Easton or other in that direction, and not have to drive all the time. I NEVER go to the beach in season because the traffic is awful, so tell the business owners out there that they're losing local business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 12:53 PM

8,231 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I agree that passenger traffic would be lighter than the summer but this place is hopping all year now and if I were to be a betting person - I would say Jan and Feb for sure would be light but there are so many things going on the "formerly known as the shoulder season" that I think it would be pretty decent.
I also know a lot of folks that lived in MD and NOVA that have retired to Delaware but have family ties back with MD and NOVA. I wonder how many of them would take advantage of this service as opposed to braving the Bay Bridge.

Old 04-18-2024, 06:54 AM

9,721 posts, read 14,259,318 times
A freight train runs through our Town of Wyoming 3-4/times day. Most don't even know about Wyoming, which borders the southern tip of Dover. I saw the train stop in town last week, and thought I had missed something.....maybe a passenger train???? Nah.....one of the freight cars needed adjusting.

Old 04-18-2024, 07:50 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Ocean City, MD would be a good final destination. I am a former DE resident living in the Poconos so I am familiar with the area. In the summer months, this proposed route would be packed. The Beach Express: Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach, Salisbury, Ocean City.
Funding will most likely come out of federally allocated state funding so DE and MD would need to cooperate and is highly unlikely given the marginal benefit to the state of Maryland overall.

Old 04-18-2024, 10:29 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
The train runs through Greenwood a few times daily, too, and less frequently through Georgetown, where I work. There are tracks in Ellendale, too, and I see it as a missed opportunity.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:06 PM

20,101 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I also know a lot of folks that lived in MD and NOVA that have retired to Delaware but have family ties back with MD and NOVA. I wonder how many of them would take advantage of this service as opposed to braving the Bay Bridge.
this is about train service from northern to southern Delaware, has nothing to do with the Bay Bridge.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:13 AM

3,954 posts, read 2,345,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
it's those pesky other 8 months of the year when no one would be riding the train that makes it unrealistic.
Point taken. But as the above poster stated the months other than Jan. and Feb. are pretty busy in the area as well. Maybe have a lighter schedule during those dead months and increase the schedule from March thru Dec. Those "expert" urban planners can figure it out.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:21 AM

3,954 posts, read 2,345,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Funding will most likely come out of federally allocated state funding so DE and MD would need to cooperate and is highly unlikely given the marginal benefit to the state of Maryland overall.
Brightline HSR is a private funded rail company and they would ensure profitability with scheduling and such. That's if they were interested in this endeavor.

Old 04-20-2024, 07:23 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Brightline HSR is a private funded rail company and they would ensure profitability with scheduling and such. That's if they were interested in this endeavor.
I highly doubt Brightline would want anything to do with extending rail service through Delaware. More than likely it would be a Delaware operated endeavor, much like NJ Transit.

Old 04-20-2024, 02:35 PM

374 posts, read 517,367 times
I would love a Delaware rail service, I would use a Delaware rail service, but I doubt that I will ever see a Delaware rail service beyond what exists.

I hear great things about taking the train from Wilmington to points north, and have to do that. Not sure that qualifies as a Bucket List item, but hey, sounds like fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware