Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:27 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,204,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach lady View Post
Beachliz, my parents built a home in South Bethany in late 1950's. no one was down there. I spent 28 wonderful years in Bayview Park. Over the years more and more snobs came down and acted like they "owned" Bethany. I now live in North Carolina and go to the beaches here. When I went back to visit the area last year, I was sorry to see so many out of state plates. I loved the slower lower Delaware way back when.
Some of those out of state folks can be annoying. But look at it this way each of those home owners are paying property and school taxes and helping to keep our taxes LOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,719,933 times
Smellaware lolz.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 AM

494 posts, read 806,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach lady View Post
Beachliz, my parents built a home in South Bethany in late 1950's. no one was down there. I spent 28 wonderful years in Bayview Park. Over the years more and more snobs came down and acted like they "owned" Bethany. I now live in North Carolina and go to the beaches here. When I went back to visit the area last year, I was sorry to see so many out of state plates. I loved the slower lower Delaware way back when.
One of my bestfriends ( who passed away 17yrs ago ) parents had a house in S.Bethany ( they were from DC area ) and probably gave off that kind of vibe even though they were very nice and down to earth people. These people ( along with neighbors ) went and bought alot of lots surrounding their homes so people couldn't build on them and block their views of the water etc..

I personally never felt that kind of vibe from the visitors etc when i lived there from late 80s till early 2000s. Sure there was the occasional teasing about slower lower stuff but that was about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Some of those out of state folks can be annoying. But look at it this way each of those home owners are paying property and school taxes and helping to keep our taxes LOW.
As i am sure you know i have met alot of people who felt like she has when i lived there. Whats funny though is my ex who now resides in NC couldn't wait to get out of S.DE/Neck area because she thought the pace of life was too slow. Even funnier is that where she lives now is much worse on that front. lol You couldn't pay me to move to the NC coast and not because of her either. Ofcourse i can see old timers from Sussex county liking it more. Most of them have always hated the development and alot of the NC coast is still not developed atleast not like DE is. Still have the hurricanes there though which are a much greater threat vs the threat in DE which is another reason i couldn't live there on the NC coast. Who wants to live on what is basically a ticking time bomb bound to go off? Thanks but no thanks. As said to her i never got that vibe from visitors?

Old 06-10-2013, 07:10 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,305,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Senior citizen transplants (and we who've lived here a long time or forever) get a real break in Delaware, and do not pay the full amount of their school tax bill. Here's info on the Sussex County school taxes.
Exemption for Residents Over 65 (Filing date - January 1 thru April 30, 2013)
  1. 65 years of age by April 30, 2012;
  2. Full-time resident of property for preceding five years as of May 1, 2012
In Kent County it's even better. 3 Years a resident -
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO THE STATE'S SENIOR PROPERTY TAX RELIEF PROGRAM

On June 28, 2012, Governor Markell signed H.B. 209, which made the following changes to the State's Senior Property Tax program:
  • Three-year Residency Requirement for New Applicants: Individuals who establish legal domicile in Delaware AFTER December 31, 2012, will be required to have been legally domiciled within the State for a period of at least 3 consecutive years in order to be eligible to receive a credit. Individuals who have established domicile in Delaware prior to January 1, 2013, will be eligible to receive the credit in the ensuing tax year.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,393,402 times
Milk from the Rehoboth Dairy in glass bottles sold by Rustic Acres. Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rustic Acres Farm Market - Rehoboth Dairy

Old 06-10-2013, 01:24 PM

71 posts, read 205,747 times
My new favorite thing...Dorman's Donut Shoppe in Lewes, DE. So good!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:54 PM

20 posts, read 36,604 times
Default Relocation possibilties after retirement

Hey anyone know where to look for a 55+ community in Delaware for retirees from upper NYS who are planning to retire and relocate in a few weeks or months. We don't like big city living and we saw several 55+ communities but are not in favor of the predomininatly leased land arrangement.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:06 AM

13,065 posts, read 18,193,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawarebigguy51 View Post
Hey anyone know where to look for a 55+ community in Delaware for retirees from upper NYS who are planning to retire and relocate in a few weeks or months. We don't like big city living and we saw several 55+ communities but are not in favor of the predomininatly leased land arrangement.
In the Delaware thread type 55+ in the search bar, grab your favorite beverage and read.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:42 AM

8 posts, read 22,295 times
There are so many 55 plus communities all over the state. Best bet would be to contact a local realtor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware