Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,590 times

Advertisements

Personally, I believe that drugs especially meth is a contributing factor. Aside from using meth, in general drug addicts don't give a crap about anything, except getting their next fix, and they certainly don't care about their teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
I don't see a lot of people missing teeth around here, but I live in the burbs. Maybe it's just a regional thing? I have a bridge in the front of my mouth - without it, I'd have two "missing" teeth there. I have an implant, that replaces another "missing" tooth, and I presently have a space where the fixture for an implant was just put on Friday, adding to my collection of "missing" teeth. I have never done meth, let alone been an addict. A car accident jarred a few teeth loose, which I didn't get taken care of when it happened because we didn't even notice that it was a problem at the time (I had multiple broken bones - surgery was the priority). So eventually those teeth went bad and one had to be pulled, the other got a root canal. Another was a molar that went bad after being in my mouth for 48 years - I'd say that's not too bad really. The other molar went bad because the bone underneath it was soft, and it needed a root canal, but the root canal didn't take properly, so that had to come out too.

Not everyone who has "missing" teeth are meth addicts and - not everyone who displays a full set of teeth, actually have all their teeth. Some of those teeth are implants, some are veneers, some are bridges, and some are dentures.

I think the cost of dental care is very high, which might account for some of the people who, like many people - have a tooth out - but also like many people - can't afford to get it replaced.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:29 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
I don't see a lot of teeth missing here either. Drugs (meth mouth) could play a part, but I echo just how very expensive dental care is - even when insured.

I have a baby tooth still hanging tight in my mouth at 25. There has been no root for years and my dentist really wants it out - but when we priced out options, it became clear that if I got the tooth pulled, I'd have a gap for a long time. Now I just don't chew on that side and hope the tooth stays!

I know a few people in their 20s who lost teeth due to chemo. I was very lucky that my dental problems as a result of chemo are mostly due to dry mouth and acidity rather than radiation - and that my mouth was pretty healthy in the first place! It can be a one-two punch to get an illness that either causes or treatment causes dental woes. Dental concerns fall on both the logistical and the financial backburner.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:32 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Meth.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:56 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
Why are dental costs so damn high ? If dentists were reasonably priced they would get more work....right ?
I have health insurance @ the va but dental or eyes are not covered. I need 4 upper teeth extracted big time. I do now (better late then never) floss daily & brush 2 xs a day & use antiseptic mouthwash 2 xs a day. I will eventually lose all my teeth due to gum disease (poor dental hygiene & chewing tobacco for many yrs). I have a neighbor from kentucky who had all of her teeth pulled @ age 18 & replaced with dentures. She said she rarely brushed her teeth growing up. Another neighbor lost all his teeth @ age 21 due to "soft teeth". He got dentures. Both are in their early 60s now.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Dentists aren't hurting for customers. I don't think they're UNreasonably priced. I feel that the insurance companies treat dentistry unfairly- I don't think dental medicine should be a seperate thing - it should be part of regular medicine. So should eye care and hearing care. If I lost a leg and needed a medical prosthesis, it'd be covered (at least in part) by my insurance. If I blow an eardrum and need hearing aids, it isn't covered at all. I have to pay the full amount.

I don't think that's fair.

But I don't see any problem with the dentists's fees. An implant is dental surgery. It costs around $4000. Try getting a doctor to insert a metal plate into a broken arm for $4000. Or implant a pace maker by your heart. Dental fees are reasonable. Dental *insurance coverage* is not.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:44 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,799,958 times
Why is dental insurance coverage so poor? And why is the amount of coverage per year so low? I had this discussion with a couple friends recently. All of them had dental insurance provided by their employers and all those plans had a maximum benefit of 2-3k per year. How come insurance companies don't offer better plans? I'd be willing to pay a higher premium to get better coverage and I suspect many others would as well.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:55 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
My dental coverage, through a major corporation, is only $1,500 per year. That's basically one tooth per year if I have any major work done. I'm trying to take better care of my teeth, but teeth health is a combination of genetics and good oral hygiene. I used to judge people who had missing teeth; I certainly don't now. Usually they have retail jobs and have zero health or dental insurance, because they're only allowed to work part time. It's sad, because more studies have shown that oral health affects the rest of your body as well.

Implants aren't covered by my insurance at all. 100% out of pocket; this is why I haven't had my $2,000 implant done yet. (I'll probably procrastinate until the tooth completely falls out, and then deal with it!)

Old 05-29-2013, 06:56 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
When money is tight it is cheaper to have a tooth pulled than do the root canal, crown route. And if you cannot have it replaced with an implant or partial, the other teeth shift, creating spaces. It's not always drugs or bad home care that causes tooth loss. It's often lack of funds. As other posters have said, dental coverage is not included in a lot of health insurance plans, if you even have that.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,447 times
I have decent dental insurance, but they pick and choose what gets increased coverage and what doesn't. Dental exams are 100%. Cavities get 80% coverage, which means I can get a few fillings for around $100. Crowns get similar coverage. If you have a kid who needs braces, coverage is 80%, but if you're an adult who needs braces, coverage is 50%.

I have major gaps around my canines due to my teeth spreading out due to a back molar that never came in. I've been putting off getting braces forever because 2-3k can cover a lot of "needs" and fixing a somewhat gappy but straight smile is low on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health