Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:28 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No, I don't. I don't have a wii, I don't own a cell phone because I hate them. I don't even have cable internet. I have DSL, because it's hooked up to my landline, which I'm too stubborn to get rid of. I don't have kids, I don't have a car that I'd waste money shining up the tires. I choose to spend money on things I actually need, and then if there's anything left over, I spend on things I want.

And - if you have dental insurance of any kind (which can run around $2/week), a routine dental checkup is likely to cost you around $60. With a full set of x-rays (which you'd only need every other year, if you go to the same dentist), it might be as much as $100.

If you don't have insurance, you might need to double that. If you don't have the same dentist, you can usually find a dental group in your area that offers an initial consultation, plus a full initial checkup with a full set of x-rays for under $100, as their way of getting you to become their long-term patient.

If a meth addict can afford their next fix, they can afford to go to the dentist. And if a meth addict can afford to go to the dentist, then so can everyone else.

your post can be so ridiculous at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 04:45 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,192 times
I know someone who has horrible teeth now, as an adult, because they were raised in a neglectful environment with zero parental instruction about hygiene and they were given soda and candy constantly and NEVER taken to the dentist. By the time they were old enough to realize the effects and take action, the damage was done. Now they are facing thousands of dollars worth of work that needs to be done so it isn't a simple matter of being frugal to afford it.

A lot of it IS genetic. My brother's first wife has a million dollar smile. PERFECT teeth, straight and white. She has always been consistent about brushing and flossing, but she did not ever go to a dentist growing up. Even as an adult, she didn't have her first dental visit until she was in her 30s and despite just doing what other people do (brush/floss) she had perfect teeth still, and still does now in her late 40s.

Overcrowding causes difficulties with hygiene and leads to cavities and so forth, but braces are still generally considered optional and cosmetic. My mother couldn't afford braces for me when I was at the age to normally get them, even though my brother got them because she was married to my dad with him and they had more money. I ended up getting braces when I was 22, but during the retainer phase I became unable to continue making payments and so my retainer wasn't tightened/adjusted and some of my teeth shifted. Making payments on braces was not easily affordable for me--I was a single mom at the time...but many families cannot afford them in the first place and it IS related to decay especially in the worst cases.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:56 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
AnonChick - Do I pick my follow-up scans for a cancer that is likely to recur or dental care that is necessary because of the treatment I received (despite brushing, flossing, and rinsing 3 times a day throughout treatment)?

I don't have cable, my internet is split between 2 roommates (along with rent and other utilities), I don't have a landline, I don't have an AC, and I don't do meth. Try again, thanks for playing.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I know someone who has horrible teeth now, as an adult, because they were raised in a neglectful environment with zero parental instruction about hygiene and they were given soda and candy constantly and NEVER taken to the dentist. By the time they were old enough to realize the effects and take action, the damage was done. Now they are facing thousands of dollars worth of work that needs to be done so it isn't a simple matter of being frugal to afford it.

A lot of it IS genetic. My brother's first wife has a million dollar smile. PERFECT teeth, straight and white. She has always been consistent about brushing and flossing, but she did not ever go to a dentist growing up. Even as an adult, she didn't have her first dental visit until she was in her 30s and despite just doing what other people do (brush/floss) she had perfect teeth still, and still does now in her late 40s.

Overcrowding causes difficulties with hygiene and leads to cavities and so forth, but braces are still generally considered optional and cosmetic. My mother couldn't afford braces for me when I was at the age to normally get them, even though my brother got them because she was married to my dad with him and they had more money. I ended up getting braces when I was 22, but during the retainer phase I became unable to continue making payments and so my retainer wasn't tightened/adjusted and some of my teeth shifted. Making payments on braces was not easily affordable for me--I was a single mom at the time...but many families cannot afford them in the first place and it IS related to decay especially in the worst cases.
Yes, braces are expensive. So is fixing problems. But that's not the point. The point, is that _preventative maintenence_ is affordable. If you are too poor to pay for it and you don't have insurance, there are even dental clinics that will do twice-yearly exams with bi-annual x-rays at a reduced cost or even free. There are valid reasons for not having this preventative maintenence. Being the child of someone who refuses to take you to the dentist is one of those valid reasons. Being too poor to afford it, in the USA, is not.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:28 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Most likely,the meth addict can only afford it because he or she is on Medicaid.

The people I see who neglect getting dental work are not the poor,(they have Medicaid),but the working and middle class.

My dental insurance,Delta Dental(what a ****ing scam) only covers $1500 of all dental work. After that,you are on your own.
I pay $10 monthly for it.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Most likely,the meth addict can only afford it because he or she is on Medicaid.

The people I see who neglect getting dental work are not the poor,(they have Medicaid),but the working and middle class.

My dental insurance,Delta Dental(what a ****ing scam) only covers $1500 of all dental work. After that,you are on your own.
Ours has no cap, but only covers a percentage of certain things. I think it's 80% of 2x/year cleanings and a full set of x-rays OR 1 panoramic every other year, and then 50% of root canals and a bunch of other stuff. The good thing with ours is that it dictates the fee the dentist can charge for all services that Delta covers. So that means that - even if MY plan doesn't have something covered at all, but Delta covers it on other plans, the dentist can only charge me the fee Delta says they can charge. It's the Participating Provider schedule of fees, like a reduced charge menu.

So for instance, if someone uninsured, paying by credit card or cash, needs a crown, the patient might be charged $800 for the crown. But if *I* need the same crown, the doctor's office can only charge me $600. I'm still responsible for the whole thing, because my plan doesn't cover crowns. But I'm only responsible at the reduced rate. So it's actually a pretty big help.

We pay I think $2.17/week, so it's around $10/month like yours, but it covers myself and my husband. It's a group plan with my husband's employer, and the employer kicks in some of the cost of the plan as well. Our medical insurance doesn't cost us a dime; the employer picks up 100% of the monthly premium, and it's just a $10 co-pay for a routine doctor's visit; no charge for lab work. We're very lucky that he works for this company. The benefits are outstanding.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:01 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes, braces are expensive. So is fixing problems. But that's not the point. The point, is that _preventative maintenence_ is affordable. If you are too poor to pay for it and you don't have insurance, there are even dental clinics that will do twice-yearly exams with bi-annual x-rays at a reduced cost or even free. There are valid reasons for not having this preventative maintenence. Being the child of someone who refuses to take you to the dentist is one of those valid reasons. Being too poor to afford it, in the USA, is not.
Okay but let's say you brush/floss/use mouthwash daily, and take advantage of low cost regular exams (I have looked in my area and cannot find any that are free, but lower cost, yes), and then the dentist finds a problem that you need to fix but cannot afford?

I did the above, then I had a cracked tooth. The only option for me was to pull it, and that was $50 at a low cost clinic. The other options were simply impossible for me to afford, and again, at a low cost clinic. The point is, even with preventative care, not every problem can be avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Plenty of poor (working poor and otherwise) adults cannot get Medicaid. I know it varies by state, but in some places you can have zero income and still not be eligible unless you are pregnant, have had a baby within the year, or disabled.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:17 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,018,750 times
There are some people obsessed with their teeth. I read somewhere where some person brushes his teeth for 15 mins. Thats overkill. I brush my my teeth 2xs a day for 2 minutes. I used to do it for 1 min & that was a mistake. I have a friend who never flosses & his teeth are good. Everyone is different & i wish i had taken better care of my teeth.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:18 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
So if you happen to have bad teeth its either because you never took care of them, or you're on meth.

I suppose that's the pat answer for those you can afford dental care to those who can't.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,815,402 times
Most people can not afford dental care...other than emergency extractions..If you have money you get to keep your dental health and looks...If you are poor you can be disfigured and stuck on the bottom of the food chain. I hate dentists and the fact that they think they should all be millionaires. Her in Canada you have socialized medicine..You can get brain surgery by the top practitioners...surgery that would cost a hundred thousand dollars...but you can't get a tooth repaired with out paying big bucks...Teeth are part of human health...I don't know why dentistry is separated from general health care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health