Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 01:09 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times

Advertisements

The dentist I go to does several complete extractions/dentures daily.

I would take his opinion on dentures any day over a dentist who ridicules the procedure and is inexperienced in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 01:14 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times
David A. Stone, not sure why you're going off on such a long angry rant and making so many generalizations.

So....you got dentures, you're happy with them, and you're satisfied with the price you paid for your dental work. We get it. Good!!

Every situation is different, as is each individual's mouth/teeth and finances.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
David A. Stone, not sure why you're going off on such a long angry rant and making so many generalizations.

So....you got dentures, you're happy with them, and you're satisfied with the price you paid for your dental work. We get it. Good!!

Every situation is different, as is each individual's mouth/teeth and finances.

The reason I am is because many of the posters giving anti denture advice don't even have dentures and have a vested interest in people getting an expensive procedure instead of dentures.

(key words ....vested interest )

Old 04-29-2017, 03:10 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
The reason I am is because many of the posters giving anti denture advice don't even have dentures and have a vested interest in people getting an expensive procedure instead of dentures.

This is getting more and more hilarious. Yes I am a dentist which has been known here for years. I do extractions, dentures, and implants daily. Yes implants cost more than dentures for both the patient and the dentist. I'm not sure what you want to hear. You act like this is the first time you have discovered that better products cost more. Even nicer dentures cost more than cheaper dentures. If your happy with your dentures then we are happy for you.

I'll ask again...please tell me why I have never had a patient with implants tell me they want to go back to dentures, while I have many patients with dentures who want implants? Just because you love your dentures doesn't mean everyone else does. You're almost child-like with your inability to understand this.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:57 PM

711 posts, read 688,515 times
Quote:

David, I've posted earlier in the thread. I've had both a partial denture and implants. I have implants now. I'd do implants again if I needed to make the choice.

I'm not a dentist, don't have any in my family and probably put one of my dentist's kids thru college. I have ZERO vested interest. It wasn't cheap but I made it work financially. That was my personal choice. Everyone has different priorities.

My personal preference was to see a dentist locally, someone who knew me and my history and that I'd be guaranteed he'd been one one I saw if any kind of problem came up. My dentist did some of the work, most was done by a local oral surgeon who was highly recommended. I've seen the same dentist for over 25 years and had extreme trust in him.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:37 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
For the person who left me feedback saying "if you are such a great dentist, why hang around on these groups..puzzling"...

I never said I was a great dentist. I simply said I was a dentist.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:56 AM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:

What an ignorant post. Dental implants are the best replacement for missing teeth. Period. This is not just my opinion as a dentist who does implants daily or from the hundreds of happy implant patients I have. This is based on scientific evidence published in peer-reviewed medical/dental journals that show implants offer far better results in chewing, speaking, and patient satisfaction when compared to dentures, even "top of the line" dentures like you claim to have.

The fact that you have mentioned multiple times about your experience with a dental professor "mocking" you for not being able to afford dental implants coupled with your over-the-moon happiness with your "top of the line" dentures that were done for a super cheap price indicate that you probably had extractions and dentures done at some denture chain and you have buyer's remorse, especially whenever someone brings up better treatment options like implants.

As for your "vested interest" comment and me only wanting to fatten my bank accounts by suggesting expensive, consider this - I don't do braces, so please tell me why I send my patients to get braces from an orthodontist when they ask me what is the best way to straighten their teeth. I have just made zero dollars on that case by telling the patient what is best for them. And no, I don't get a "kickback" from the orthodontist.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:19 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
To be honest I think you are trying to convince yourself that losing a mouth full of teeth and getting two pieces of plastic to replace them with was a great idea, otherwise why would you be so sensitive about people criticizing dentures?

Old 05-01-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
There's a reason dentures are cheaper than implants. A horse and buggy will get you from point A to point B and cost way less than a car, but you're going to be sacrificing a lot. Whether or not it something is worth it depends on your value system. If you LOVE watching TV, you'll be more likely to spend $$$ on a big-screen TV than someone who rarely watches anything. If you don't value your teeth, then no amount of money will be worth it. I know people who will never skip a hair appointment but haven't been to the dentist in years an have a mouth full of rotted teeth. Many people on this forum do not value their teeth and will tell you to just get the cheapest thing possible. Not judging, it's their prerogative, and everyone has different financial situations. You are young to be missing teeth. Start thinking long-term, not just "call it a day". Dentures may look/feel great at first, but in 15 years when all the bone has in your mouth has resorbed and the dentures are super loose, you'll wish you had done implants. If you are considering dentures, another option could be implant-supported/retained dentures. These are traditional dentures that "snap" into implants so they are not moving everywhere and falling out at church. Check with your dentist to see if they are an option for you.
......"A horse and buggy will get you from point A to point B "
......."are not moving every where and falling out at church "...

either a little snarky or a little over dramatic.

No, I certainly don't have buyers' remorse but am a little bitter why a Dental School would want to charge nearly 3x what I paid and have the work done by students.

Add to that the professor's flippant remark about............"you're making a big deal over just $8,000 more "..........and I can see our dental schools are educating the new crop of dentists to really gouge their future patients.

As I stated,,,,,,,,,, $8,900 for students doing a procedure or $3500 for a DDS doing it ?

Old 05-01-2017, 08:38 AM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:
......"A horse and buggy will get you from point A to point B "
......."are not moving every where and falling out at church "...

either a little snarky or a little over dramatic.

No, I certainly don't have buyers' remorse but am a little bitter why a Dental School would want to charge nearly 3x what I paid and have the work done by students.

Add to that the professor's flippant remark about............"you're making a big deal over just $8,000 more "..........and I can see our dental schools are educating the new crop of dentists to really gouge their future patients.

As I stated,,,,,,,,,, $8,900 for students doing a procedure or $3500 for a DDS doing it ?

Way to completely miss the point. Still waiting for your answer to post #47 - if we dentists have a "vested interest" in pushing expensive procedures over cheaper ones, why do I send my patients to get their teeth straightened by an orthodontist (thus making no money on the case) when I could just straighten them myself with extractions and implants at a hefty case fee?

Also, I too would like to know your answer to toofache32's question - why is it he has tons of denture patients wanting implants, but no implant patients wanting dentures? (FYI - this is EXACTLY what I see in my practice as well).

Last edited by bart0323; 05-01-2017 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health