Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 09:25 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
For the person who left me feedback saying "if you are such a great dentist, why hang around on these groups..puzzling"...

I never said I was a great dentist. I simply said I was a dentist.
You're a dentist and "someone" left you a snarky anonymous comment.
Hmmm.
Try to guess who THAT was!

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode about an "anti-Dentite"

Last edited by applej3; 05-03-2017 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 08:30 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
BS !

I had extractions and full dentures done in 2010 and I can't think of anything I can't eat with them.
They look great, fit great, and my total bill was just $3,500.

I am not even aware that they are dentures when I am wearing them.
I just stumbled upon this thread just now. I have a dear friend in his early 40s who, unfortunately, had to have ALL of his teeth removed. He got full dentures (top & bottom), but really just wears the top. He's had them about 2 yrs now. He finds he cannot eat at all while wearing them, so if we're out in public, he's just takes them out & doesn't care about the embarrassment, but gets very frustrated at times re: how he can't eat certain foods at all.

QUESTION to you about adhesive: Which type/brand do you use that you have no trouble eating with? The creams/gels in the drug stores don't work for my friend. The ONLY one he likes is the Seabond Adhesive Seals (below) & that's still NOT to eat, but just day-to-day wear.

Denture Adhesive Seals - Sea-Bond

Old 05-04-2017, 08:55 AM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I just stumbled upon this thread just now. I have a dear friend in his early 40s who, unfortunately, had to have ALL of his teeth removed. He got full dentures (top & bottom), but really just wears the top. He's had them about 2 yrs now. He finds he cannot eat at all while wearing them, so if we're out in public, he's just takes them out & doesn't care about the embarrassment, but gets very frustrated at times re: how he can't eat certain foods at all.

QUESTION to you about adhesive: Which type/brand do you use that you have no trouble eating with? The creams/gels in the drug stores don't work for my friend. The ONLY one he likes is the Seabond Adhesive Seals (below) & that's still NOT to eat, but just day-to-day wear.

I know this question was not directed towards me, but I'll throw in my two cents. Denture retention depends a lot on how much bone is in your jaw. If your friend has very little bone, no amount of adhesive will be an acceptable solution. Your friend's best bet is to get a few dental implants to help secure the dentures into his jaw. This can be done with as little as two implants on the bottom and four implants in the top. If he can't afford them right now, then he should start saving or get a loan that allows a repayment plan that fits in his budget. Being only in his 40s, this situation will get worse as the years progress. He will lose more bone in his jaw and eventually he may find himself in a situation where he is no longer a candidate for dental implants despite having the money. I see this happen all the time. Your friend is VERY young to be saddled with dentures and not be able to enjoy his food. He should take control ASAP.

Last edited by bart0323; 05-04-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
Quote:

David has already given his answer on this previously: Your friend's denture fits well, but he just doesn't know it. And he should be having no problems with his dentures, because David doesn't have problems with his. Whatever your friend does, make sure they do NOT get implants, because the dentist will make a profit.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:30 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
David has already given his answer on this previously: Your friend's denture fits well, but he just doesn't know it. And he should be having no problems with his dentures, because David doesn't have problems with his. Whatever your friend does, make sure they do NOT get implants, because the dentist will make a profit.
THIS ^

Old 05-04-2017, 10:03 AM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:
David has already given his answer on this previously: Your friend's denture fits well, but he just doesn't know it. And he should be having no problems with his dentures, because David doesn't have problems with his.
Hey now, his dentures are "top of the line".

Old 05-04-2017, 10:09 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
I know this question was not directed towards me, but I'll throw in my two cents. Denture retention depends a lot on how much bone is in your jaw. If your friend has very little bone, no amount of adhesive will be an acceptable solution. Your friend's best bet is to get a few dental implants to help secure the dentures into his jaw. This can be done with as little as two implants on the bottom and four implants in the top. If he can't afford them right now, then he should start saving or get a loan that allows a repayment plan that fits in his budget. Being only in his 40s, this situation will get worse as the years progress. He will lose more bone in his jaw and eventually he may find himself in a situation where he is no longer a candidate for dental implants despite having the money. I see this happen all the time. Your friend is VERY young to be saddled with dentures and not be able to enjoy his food. He should take control ASAP.
Quote:
...Whatever your friend does, make sure they do NOT get implants, because the dentist will make a profit.
Thanks guys! My friend certainly doesn't have the $ for even 1 implant. I don't know if he'll ever get any. It's literally a miracle he didn't have any infections or worse trouble before his teeth were finally extracted since his teeth had been bad for a lot of yrs.

If this situation was happening to me, I'd do how you said bart0323.

toofache32, so you being a dentist, what should my friend honestly do since he has no $? Just do the best he can for now, maybe try to save up for the fewest implants to get dentures to attach to them so he can at least chew food, like what bart0323 said?

If he doesn't end up doing that, I guess it's do the best w/ what he has now, then get refitted in (how many years?) since I know the mouth changes (bone loss, etc.) as we age?

Old 05-04-2017, 10:23 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Many friends of mine got dentures when they were in the military ( early 20's) and have done well with dentures all their lives.

Those military dentists must really do good work.

I doubt they have yachts or take real expensive vacations because of gouging $$$$$$$$$ their patients, either.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
toofache32, so you being a dentist, what should my friend honestly do since he has no $? Just do the best he can for now, maybe try to save up for the fewest implants to get dentures to attach to them so he can at least chew food, like what bart0323 said?
I'm not a dentist but if your friend has no money he should ask his family for help, or find a dentist who works with a financing company, some of them even offer no interest plans. Here is a website with some information on the procedures available and the associated costs (hopefully one of our resident dentists will confirm that the information is correct)

http://www.dentaleconomics.com/artic...rdentures.html

Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
If anyone wants my opinion, implants are the way to go if you can afford them. I'm 63 and still have all of my teeth, including all four wisdom teeth, and I do everything I can to keep them healthy. But if I were to lose a tooth, or several, I'd want implants regardless of any initial pain or inconvenience resulting from having the procedure done.

As for the dentist making a profit from it, great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health