Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 12:44 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,010,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Wondering what you are meaning by "general."

I had my wisdom teeth removed as a teen and I'm old now so don't recall details but it seems like I "went to sleep" - but I was in the dentist's chair, not an OR, not strapped down or anything, no IV nearby - must have given me something orally that put me to sleep or maybe put a mask of ether or something on me? Would that be considered "general," per the terms you're using?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 12:49 PM

329 posts, read 262,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
It's not required. I had 3 removed with just local.
Yeah well the doctor is saying it is required stating that I don't need to be conscious for any of the procedure.

Old 11-28-2023, 12:50 PM

221 posts, read 203,899 times
Had two a side removed with local. Took six weeks before could chew on the removed side. If you get all four at once, plan to have significant weight loss. Very difficult to eat with four gaping holes where almost all chewing occurs.

It may cost a bit more’ but get a second opinion.

Old 11-28-2023, 12:53 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,677,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Texan View Post
Had two a side removed with local. Took six weeks before could chew on the removed side. If you get all four at once, plan to have significant weight loss. Very difficult to eat with four gaping holes where almost all chewing occurs.

It may cost a bit more’ but get a second opinion.
WOW, how did they remove them? A sledge hammer being swung by a blind guy? I had one surgically removed and the other 3 pulled and after a few days I had no problems.

Old 11-28-2023, 12:56 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,677,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
Yeah well the doctor is saying it is required stating that I don't need to be conscious for any of the procedure.
I can't imagine why you would want to be awake. I was awake for the one I had surgically removed and asleep for when they pulled the other 3 out.

Old 11-28-2023, 01:02 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I can't imagine why you would want to be awake. I was awake for the one I had surgically removed and asleep for when they pulled the other 3 out.
I sat in on a medical malpractice trial once where they put someone out and were so rough they disconnected her jaw. She told them the problem when she woke up and they said it was all in her head. So I think it pays to keep awake so they have someone watching them.

Old 11-28-2023, 01:44 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
Tell the doc/dentist if it's their requirement, you will find another dentist.

Old 11-28-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
The worst thing for me is they put this ball in the back of your mouth. So I was fighting back choking the entire time. Pain wasn't bad, you were completely numb, though you feel things from time to time. Then there was this weird crunching noise/sensations as they broke the wisdom teeth apart and pulled them out 1 by 1.

For me though, I avoid general if I can. I hate that feeling.

Old 11-28-2023, 01:49 PM

Also, ask yourself why you're getting them removed in the first place? 3 of mine were totally impacted, and pushed into the other teeth almost horizontally. The 4th was fine. Never removed that one. And to this day, glad I didn't. The Dentist made it sound like it was a requirement. Just remember they make money off of this procedure. Don't be so trusting.

Old 11-28-2023, 03:39 PM

329 posts, read 262,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Also, ask yourself why you're getting them removed in the first place? 3 of mine were totally impacted, and pushed into the other teeth almost horizontally. The 4th was fine. Never removed that one. And to this day, glad I didn't. The Dentist made it sound like it was a requirement. Just remember they make money off of this procedure. Don't be so trusting.
Like you, two of mine are impacted and all four have cavities. I often wonder if I should just keep them in given the risk of permanent loss of taste. Yes, only one is causing me pain from time to time, but is it really worth the risk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health