Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 10:16 AM

329 posts, read 262,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Also under general, you might need a breathing tube slid down your throat. Totally not fun, and recovery can be a bear.

Yeah........ You've just help me make up my mind. I'm not doing general under any circumstance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 10:51 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You had six wisdom teeth? That's - pretty unusual and it'd make sense that you'd need to have them ALL out. They could cause significant problems in the future, because your mouth - and jaw - aren't built to accommodate them. You'd end up with crowding, difficulty chewing, inability to keep them clean since your brush can't get to them, malocclusion, potential for severe bone loss and periodontitis, and sinus/breathing problems.

Only two of mine ever came in and both were taken out at different points in my life. Each had grown a couple of cavities. Since they're "vestigial" teeth and not used for chewing or speaking or bone health, it was more practical to just take them out than fill the cavities. Neither were impacted, the extractions were fairly uncomplicated. One came out pretty easily with just a wiggle and final yank from a wrench. The other had to be cracked and each half removed separately. Both times it was local anesthesia, just lidocaine.

I don't know why anyone would need general anesthesia for dental work. Conscious sedation seems much more useful, since a patient can respond to verbal instructions even though they're pretty much in la-la land the whole time. "Open wider" might be a thing. Can't do that under general. Also under general, you might need a breathing tube slid down your throat. Totally not fun, and recovery can be a bear. With conscious sedation you might get a measured controlled high dose of halcion plus the lidocaine to numb you up. Have someone drive you home almost immediately following the surgery. Rest at home for a couple of hours, and wake up sore, but alert.

Yes, six. I can't remember how many had come in, but they had to dig for some of them. What I do remember is that they never bothered me.

Old 11-29-2023, 10:57 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
I had laughing gas. (That's what it was called at the time.) Worked great for me.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:25 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I sat in on a medical malpractice trial once where they put someone out and were so rough they disconnected her jaw. She told them the problem when she woke up and they said it was all in her head. So I think it pays to keep awake so they have someone watching them.
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled at the same time, with a local.

I WANTED a general, as I wanted to be asleep...I'm absolutely phobic about dentists, and did NOT want to be terrified with a local.

Well, he gave me a local, and when he started working, and I wasn't asleep, I started crying. He was kind, and asked why I was crying, and I told him "You said you'd put me to sleep, but I'm NOT asleep. This is going to hurt!" He assured me it would not hurt, and if it did at all, he would stop, and give me more local.

And you know what? It did NOT hurt. I was concious for the whole thing, and I could feel pulling and tugging, but it didn't hurt.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:25 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
I had two wisdom teeth extracted in my 30's and it took 1.5 hours to do so. It was done by an oral surgeon.

I did it under twilight anesthesia. I forget which concoction of drugs was used but apparently I was awake, but just don't remember any of it. I did NOT want to be awake for any of this at all. They gave me the option and I chose the anesthesia.

In a way i'm glad I did it that method as apparently they were deep in there and fought the dentist. Lots of blood I guess. I woke up and had zero pain. Never took any pain meds either for it.

I've had general before for another surgery. Not a big deal. They gave me some drugs to relax me before going under (Demorol?) and I felt GREAT! Woke up in the recovery room feeling sleepy. All i remember from the breathing tube was a minor sore throat, but it wasn't anything I had never felt before. I'd do it again.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:36 AM

19,018 posts, read 14,193,756 times
Had four pulled in my 20s, with general. All I remember is the aftermath and feeling quite "high" and giddy. Yee HAW.
Can't recall if I had post operative pain, but I doubt it. Did "drink" my meals for a while... meat smoothies in the VitaMix.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:06 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,652,448 times
I got all 4 of mine pulled in the same visit. Three were impacted. Local anesthesia and nitrous oxide.

My teeth were killing me and I wanted them out as soon as possible. They said after general anesthesia someone has to pick you up and drive you home afterwards. Nobody was available to do that so they suggested the nitrous. You are awake but don't really care what's going on. The effects wear off pretty quickly after they are done and off you go.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:13 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Are you suggesting that local anesthesia isn't effective for blocking pain?

I don't recall any pain whatsoever when having my wisdom teeth extracted in this way. I do recall some incredible pressure being applied, but it didn't hurt.
I thought this post was about sharing your personal experience with wisdom tooth extraction to assist the OP in their decision, not who thinks they are more macho regarding pain tolerance.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:53 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Propofol would never be used by itself, but in conjunction with fentanyl. Sometimes they will use Midazolam instead of fentanyl. But that's rare, like less than 1% of surgeries.
I had only Propofol for colonoscopy.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:58 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I thought this post was about sharing your personal experience with wisdom tooth extraction to assist the OP in their decision, not who thinks they are more macho regarding pain tolerance.
Yes, and that’s what several of us have said. Namely, we did not have general anesthesia for these extractions with no regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health