Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 02:51 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times

Advertisements

Are you having a problem with your tooth, or with your gums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 08:30 PM

51 posts, read 9,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have had a small amount of decay on the outside of a tooth at the gumline. You need to go to the dentist and have them scrape it off and seal the spot before it gets worse. It's not going to get better no matter what you do, only worse.
Thank you !

Old 04-08-2024, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Are you having a problem with your tooth, or with your gums?
mainly the gums but it touches the tooth. I do not know if there is anything bad near the tooth yet or if I could just scale it off myself. Somehow I bought a dental pick at a yard sale, maybe I'll use it then keep gargling with salt water and coconut oil. The pain is gone but will return if I start scraping

Old 04-08-2024, 08:39 PM

I found the dental pick. It needs scaling but is not a cavity yet..I'll make an appointment tomorrow.

I .changed my diet to include more veges and am using the electric toothbrush 5x a day.

I need to start brushing multiple times a day, ,anytime after I snack, keep oil pulling and rinsing with salt water.

It's working well and doesn't hurt anymore

Thanks everyone

Old 04-08-2024, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 339 times
Cavities sadly do not recover, I had to learn it the hard way. I recently got 11 of my teeth filled, thankfully no root canal. Please see a doctor and get it filled. You are lucky that it is just a cavity, the process if completely painless and hardly takes 15-20 minutes.

Old 04-09-2024, 01:11 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
A cavity is a decayed hole in your tooth. They don't go away by themselves. Cavities need to be filled by a dentist to prevent accelerating decay, since there is no outter enamal protecting the tooth anymore where the hole has formed.

Think of a cavity like a rusted hole in your car fender. That doesn't repair itself either. It just eats away your whole fender.
Bingo. It doesn't magically go away even after perfect hygiene. Even after the cavity is fixed by a dentist, a tooth filling can still fail eventually if the cavity spreads.

Basically, you need a dentist to fix it, then you need to take care of your teeth, get regular checkups, and hope you don't get anymore cavities.

Old 04-09-2024, 09:52 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippiee View Post
mainly the gums but it touches the tooth. I do not know if there is anything bad near the tooth yet or if I could just scale it off myself. Somehow I bought a dental pick at a yard sale, maybe I'll use it then keep gargling with salt water and coconut oil. The pain is gone but will return if I start scraping
This still makes no sense! If the problem is an infected gum scraping away at it with a dental pick isn't going to help. It's increasing the inflammation already present and can make an ongoing infection worse. Don't forget that untreated dental infections can spread and damage other organs, including your heart!

A cavity isn't a surface stain. It isn't something you can "just scale off" with a dental pick. The cavity is a pocket of rotted tooth. Either in the enamel (hard outermost layer of the tooth) and/or the dentin (middle layer that covers the pulp). By simply scraping at it but not filling the cavity with anything afterward, you're just causing more physical damage. That's going to enlarge the cavity making it more likely you'll lose what's left of the tooth. Pain is telling you the tooth's nerve is now too exposed to the elements or the tooth's pulp is infected. But you're not listening.

A sound, healthy tooth doesn't hurt if you scrape at it. Think about this for a moment. When a hygienist cleans your teeth what do they do? They scrape tartar/plaque off with tools, right? Doesn't hurt, right?

There's a deeper problem developing here but you're ignoring it. Wishful thinking that's going to cost you even more money to deal with down the road. If you don't want to spend money to deal with this compromised rotting tooth the best option may be to have the tooth pulled and be done with it.

Old 04-09-2024, 09:57 AM

Okay let me explain again

I Can't get it filled. It's not in a tooth. It's in between the teeth touching one of the teeth. It can be scaled away from the tooth but it needs to heal. It is healing, there is no pain.

The dentist can clean the tooth the decay has touched but there is no way to fill in between the teeth when it is just the gums. If its' traveled below the gums against the tooth, they should be able to stop that. I woke up and it feels better. It might heal on it's own without a dentist but I've made a dentist appointment anyhow

Thanks everyone.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:44 PM

1,151 posts, read 615,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippiee View Post
This cavity happened because there is a gap in between the teeth where food gets caught. It's a little painful, I've started gargling with hydrogen peroxide and oil pulling (using mct oil) Since it's not underneath a tooth, and just an abscess or wound, do you think it will improve?
One word, wow.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:32 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
The first thing you need is a proper diagnosis, by a dentist. You don't even know you have a cavity yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health