Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 04:00 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippiee View Post
This is not inside or under a tooth but beside two teeth. It does touch the teeth. It's more of the gums but is causing a light cavity beside the teeth, sorta as if it started going under each tooth slowly.

I gargled with hydrogen peroxide multiple times yesterday, gargled with salt water and and brushed with baking soda toothpaste + baking soda. I did the oil pulling. It feels better today. I'll keep going this route, it's been annoying to have that gap in my teeth as it grabs food at every meal. You cannot see the gap when I smile or talk but it's there
This sounds more like a problem with your gums than an actual cavity on a tooth.

In any case, go to an actual dentist and get it checked out. Your home remedies may be giving you some symptomatic relief, but are unlikely to fix the underlying problem.

You do go in for periodic professional cleaning, right?

I have had cavities filled with gold fillings over the years, about 30 years ago as some amalgam fillings were reaching the end of their useful service, I had my dentist replace them with gold. These gold fillings will last a lifetime if properly cared for.

Gold fillings were good enough for the Pharaohs, and they are good enough for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 04:11 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
I am confused. When is it a good idea to trap bacteria? I suggest if you ever have this issue, make a dentist appointment. He may be able to scrape off any bacteria and give you a home treatment plan to help it heal. Trapping bacteria doesn't sound like a wise thing to be pushing
never. that was the point.

Old 04-15-2024, 04:14 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
never. that was the point.
It's called sarcasm OP...

The OP's confusing description seems to have finally been revealed as a periodontal pocket, not an actual hole in the enamel/dentin of a tooth. As for "scraping" anything off, a dentist might need to do some root planing/scaling to remove plaque and calculus adhering to a tooth below the gum line where a brush or floss can't reach it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-15-2024 at 04:30 PM..

Old 04-15-2024, 04:53 PM

51 posts, read 9,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

The OP's confusing description seems to have finally been revealed as a periodontal pocket, not an actual hole in the enamel/dentin of a tooth. As for "scraping" anything off, a dentist might need to do some root planing/scaling to remove plaque and calculus adhering to a tooth below the gum line where a brush or floss can't reach it.
It's been taken care of by a professional, it's finished. Thank you for moving on to another thread.

Old 04-15-2024, 04:58 PM

51 posts, read 9,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This sounds more like a problem with your gums than an actual cavity on a tooth.

In any case, go to an actual dentist and get it checked out. Your home remedies may be giving you some symptomatic relief, but are unlikely to fix the underlying problem.

You do go in for periodic professional cleaning, right?

I have had cavities filled with gold fillings over the years, about 30 years ago as some amalgam fillings were reaching the end of their useful service, I had my dentist replace them with gold. These gold fillings will last a lifetime if properly cared for.

Gold fillings were good enough for the Pharaohs, and they are good enough for me!
Yes I go for cleanings and use an e-toothbrush. I have shovel teeth which are very sturdy. Dentist said it's healing so continue to do what I've been doing yet add gargling with hydrogen peroxide too.

I had no clue gold fillings were still available, glad they last so long Good thinking

Old 04-15-2024, 11:14 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Dentist said it's healing so continue to do what I've been doing yet add gargling with hydrogen peroxide too.

You were already gargling with hydrogen peroxide before you went to the dentist. Either that or you didn't tell us you had already gone to the dentist.

April 7, 9:19 pm
Quote:
This cavity happened because there is a gap in between the teeth where food gets caught. It's a little painful, I've started gargling with hydrogen peroxide and oil pulling (using mct oil) Since it's not underneath a tooth, and just an abscess or wound, do you think it will improve?

Old 04-16-2024, 05:41 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
I am confused. When is it a good idea to trap bacteria?
Trapping bacteria is like trapping a mouse. If you don't trap the mouse it is always scurrying around, spreading it's cooties all over your territory.

The fact that superglue is toxic is probably a plus. Not only do you trap the bacteria like a heavy duty mouse trap, you obliterate it with toxins like mouse poison works.

Sometimes it is a pro con type of deal. Toxic material in your mouth or those nasty bacterial critters. I stand by my super glue idea.

Old 04-16-2024, 05:47 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Sometimes it is the only logical response....

Old 04-16-2024, 06:22 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
I've had very tiny cavities (maybe not even called "cavities" but just simply sensitive spots) go away after using good fluoride toothpaste (like the 1.1% fluoride that my dentist prescribed) and mouthwash for a while and fluoride can certainly remineralize tiny cavities as far as I know as a non-dentist but anything respectable in size is already a lost cause.

Google Dr. Ellie.. I used her oral hygiene routine for a while plus toothpaste with Novamin. Also Google Novamin. For some reason, Novamin toothpaste can't be bought in the US without a prescription but I'm usually able to buy it from Amazon, just not in a store (or I can find sellers in Canada or the UK willing to ship it here as well.)

Old 04-16-2024, 06:45 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
It's more of the gums but is causing a light cavity beside the teeth, sorta as if it started going under each tooth slowly.

Keep doing nothing (because that's all you are doing) and you will wind up with periodontal disease, which is incurable. Your gums will continue to recede and you will lose teeth. Gums do not grow back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health