Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 04:28 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,637,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Wow, that is amazing! How much would something like that cost?
Luckily we saved the e-mail notification and it has the link to the previous image which we wanted to look at again and send to someone else.

David: So that was $17,000 for a full top and bottom.
I guess not as 4 implants only be one or the other. (?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 04:33 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
This is what they are talking about:

Moderator cut: removed copyrighted image

If you want something that is IMPLANT SUPPORTED, then you will need at least 4-6 implants.

And a whole lot of cash.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:52 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Luckily we saved the e-mail notification and it has the link to the previous image which we wanted to look at again and send to someone else.

David: So that was $17,000 for a full top and bottom.
I guess not as 4 implants only be one or the other. (?)
Yes, $17,000 would be the cost with students ( University dental school ) doing the work.

I opted to go to a lower cost state, forget the 4 implants, and have experienced, dentists with degrees do the work.

(and I saved $13,500 by doing so )

Old 12-14-2016, 07:29 AM

629 posts, read 932,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
And a whole lot of cash.
To paraphrase another member on this forum - replacing body parts is not cheap.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:51 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,543 times
Quote:
To paraphrase another member on this forum - replacing body parts is not cheap.
No, and dental is the worst because insurance coverage is so limited. For those who have dental insurance, the annual limit is between $1000 and $2500. A root canal and crown could easily cost close to $2k.

I spent $1800 on a root canal and a porcelain crown for one of my upper front teeth back in 2008. In 2010, I was in a car accident and the airbag knocked that tooth/crown loose. In early 2011, I had it removed and replaced by a bridge that spans the two teeth on either side (which were ground down to accommodate the bridge) and effectively replaces three teeth. It looks perfect but it cost $3800!

I've spent over $25k on my mouth in the last 5-6 years.....not fun!

Old 12-14-2016, 08:22 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
No, and dental is the worst because insurance coverage is so limited. For those who have dental insurance, the annual limit is between $1000 and $2500. A root canal and crown could easily cost close to $2k.

I spent $1800 on a root canal and a porcelain crown for one of my upper front teeth back in 2008. In 2010, I was in a car accident and the airbag knocked that tooth/crown loose. In early 2011, I had it removed and replaced by a bridge that spans the two teeth on either side (which were ground down to accommodate the bridge) and effectively replaces three teeth. It looks perfect but it cost $3800!

I've spent over $25k on my mouth in the last 5-6 years.....not fun!
Welcome to my world.......

I do wish there were better insurance options for dental work. My "insurance" is basically one of those "discounted" plans, which is basically almost like nothing at all, sad to say.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:22 AM

14,459 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I do wish there were better insurance options for dental work. My "insurance" is basically one of those "discounted" plans, which is basically almost like nothing at all, sad to say.
If someone ruins their liver with abuse of alcohol, Medicare will pay.
If someone ruins their lungs with abuse of tobacco, Medicare will pay.
If someone ruins their heart and arteries with cholesterol, Medicare will pay.

Medicare won't help on teeth so a good dental insurance plan would be great for millions of people.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:44 AM

629 posts, read 932,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
If someone ruins their liver with abuse of alcohol, Medicare will pay.
If someone ruins their lungs with abuse of tobacco, Medicare will pay.
If someone ruins their heart and arteries with cholesterol, Medicare will pay.

Medicare won't help on teeth so a good dental insurance plan would be great for millions of people.
A little off topic, buy why should the government (read - other people's tax dollars) pay for ANY treatment that is needed a result of your own neglect?

Old 12-14-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
A little off topic, buy why should the government (read - other people's tax dollars) pay for ANY treatment that is needed a result of your own neglect?
The need for major dental work is not always due to neglect. Trauma (such a car or biking accident), lack of dental care as a child (which would be neglect of one's parents) and poor quality dental care in the past are just a few of the reasons. My dentist and I have also discussed the fact that some people simply have more bacteria in their mouth and even hyper-vigilant hygiene (such as brushing and flossing 3-4x daily, like I do) can only slow down the damage, not prevent it altogether.

I understand your argument, why should taxpayer funds be used to treat any condition due to the neglect and/or irresponsibility an individual. We know that smoking causes lung cancer, but people continue to smoke. We know how HIV is transmitted, but new cases are diagnosed every day....the list goes on....

But I also think it would be very difficult to draw 'a line the sand' to determine what would or would not be covered by Medicare/Medicaid. My grandmother had severe COPD, but never smoked a day in her life. My dad's side of the family has high cholesterol, and I'm slowly inching toward it, despite the fact that I eat very 'heart healthy' (lean poultry and fish are the only meats I eat). I one close friend and several other acquaintances that are HIV positive. My friend contracted it 20+ years ago (due to unprotected sex) but one of the others I mentioned is a woman whose cheating (bisexual) husband gave it to her.

Which of those people should or shouldn't get treatment from a government-funded insurance program???

A final thought on the matter...prison inmates receive dental care in addition to medical care on the taxypayer's dime. It's sad (and by 'sad' I mean f***ed up!) that a murderer, child molester or any other degenerate low-life would get dental care, but not a poor old woman who paid taxes all of her life.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Welcome to my world.......

The reason that dental insurance covers so little is because the annual benefits caps were established in the 70s and 80s and have never been adjusted. But you got a lot more dental care for $1k in 1980 than you would now 31 years later. Adjusted for inflation, $1 in 1980 is equivalent to $2.93 today. So a plan with a $1k annual maximum should be about $3k or $1500 should be $4500 just to keep pace with inflation. That hasn't happened.

Most dental plans are also designed to discourage the insured from actually using the benefits. 50% copays are common on root canals and crowns, so a $2k dentist bill would require $1k out of pocket and the plan would pay $1k. The result is that very few policyholders actually use their full benefits every year. Dental and Vision 'insurance' are ridiculously profitable for the companies that sell them. They're sort of like the personal insurance world's equivalent to an Extended Auto Warranty.

BTW, i'm in the same boat with a 'discount plan' instead of actual dental insurance. I get the same rate as Aetna policyholders but I only pay $100/year for my discount plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health