Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:09 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

I am going in 15 minutes to have a back tooth (#18) pulled. I have a few months to decide what to do and I'm considering implants- one next to it has been missing for years so bridge is impossible- or a partial. Two implants will run between $8,000 and $10,000. I just can't see putting that kind of money in m y mouth. I would have to borrow the money .I'm 63. Is a partial really uncomfortable? Dr. says i can't just leave it empty cause teeth above will be negatively affected.

Do you have a partial or have you had implants? I would like very much to hear different opinions.
Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 12:34 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
My uncle who is 64 has some implants and he thinks the world of it.

My mom has a take in and take out partial for eating and while it's a pain it's a cheaper option. She seems to do okay with it.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:52 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
I have several relatives who have partials and/or implants. Feedback from them is rather consistent. Implants are outrageously expensive and involve painful surgery with lengthy recovery time (and in one of my relatives cases, a post-surgery complication arose). Partials can be painful if not fitted correctly, but when done well they are by comparison much less of a hassle, a lot less money, and better bang for the buck.

Those in my family who got implants got them for vanity reasons but in retrospect they realized and described how the cost and pain wasn't worth it.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:16 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,135 times
I mean this is the nicest possible way, but at your age, I wouldn't suggest borrowing money for dental implants. A partial can be uncomfortable and difficult to get used to, but it is way cheaper than a couple of implants. Since it's a back tooth, you'll probably find yourself leaving the partial out, anyway. Yes, the upper teeth will eventually drop down slightly to move into the empty space below, but again, at your age it doesn't really matter. If you were in your 40's then it would be worth it to get implants to keep the other teeth and jawbone stable. In your case the return on investment just isn't there.

My experience with dental implants has been wonderful. I've had few issues, the most serious was a failed bone graft, but as is the case with all medicine, no treatment is 100% guaranteed.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I appreciate all the comments. I guess I should have added that as a diabetic, I have had trouble healing after surgeries in the past. While implants were explained to me, it didn't register it was surgery. And with my diabetes issues and my age I'm leaning towards a partial. I was so anxious just having this tooth pulled. I can only imagine how I will fare with all the work needed for implants. BTW no offense was taken regarding comments about my age. It is what it is.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 PM

325 posts, read 2,994,805 times
I have to STRONGLY disagree with the person who said that the OP shouldn't get implants due to his/her age. Just because someone is in their 60s doesn't mean they can't make it to 100, or that they don't need the quality of life that teeth provide.

Implants are a wonderful replacement for missing teeth. They're strong, esthetic, and can be a long-lasting restoration. The procedure is "surgical", but in many cases no worse than having a tooth pulled. Some people do have complications, but that's the same as any other dental procedure. All in all, many more people are satisfied with their implants. The best bang for buck, IMO, is the implant, not the partial denture.

With that said, a partial denture is also a viable alternative. The benefits include lower cost and less invasive treatment. The downside is the psychological aspect of having a partial denture, significant esthetic issues, reduced biting force, and cleaning issues.

Whether the OP should get implants or partial dentures depends on the relative risk/benefit that fits his or her individual situation. No one here will be able to understand your unique perspective, so only you can make the choice that's right for you. I hope this information helps you in your decision-making.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
These are the back teeth, right? I have heard that stuff from a dentist and have had zero problems after having had my upper two back molars pulled about 10 and 9 years ago............If they were at all visible or in between other teeth I would have reconsidered. Of course my lower opposing teeth have crowns so maybe that is why I have not had a problem ........... but the dentist sure tried to sell me on putting something back there.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:03 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
These are the back teeth, right? I have heard that stuff from a dentist and have had zero problems after having had my upper two back molars pulled about 10 and 9 years ago............If they were at all visible or in between other teeth I would have reconsidered. Of course my lower opposing teeth have crowns so maybe that is why I have not had a problem ........... but the dentist sure tried to sell me on putting something back there.
problems typically come from the teeth shifting due to the missing teeth, Surprised that hasn't happened to you.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:50 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
I wonder if that problem applies to the furthermost back teeth as in the OPs situation and my case?

Old 12-04-2009, 04:03 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
I have to STRONGLY disagree with the person who said that the OP shouldn't get implants due to his/her age. Just because someone is in their 60s doesn't mean they can't make it to 100, or that they don't need the quality of life that teeth provide.

Implants are a wonderful replacement for missing teeth. They're strong, esthetic, and can be a long-lasting restoration. The procedure is "surgical", but in many cases no worse than having a tooth pulled. Some people do have complications, but that's the same as any other dental procedure. All in all, many more people are satisfied with their implants. The best bang for buck, IMO, is the implant, not the partial denture.
With all due respect Elipar, you admitted to being an Endodontist in another thread. Thus you very likely make a lot of money selling/installing implants. Thus although knowledgeable, I hardly consider your position objective or unbiased in this particular thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health