Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:35 AM

83 posts, read 56,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
The need for major dental work is not always due to neglect. Trauma (such a car or biking accident), lack of dental care as a child (which would be neglect of one's parents) and poor quality dental care in the past are just a few of the reasons. My dentist and I have also discussed the fact that some people simply have more bacteria in their mouth and even hyper-vigilant hygiene (such as brushing and flossing 3-4x daily, like I do) can only slow down the damage, not prevent it altogether.

I understand your argument, why should taxpayer funds be used to treat any condition due to the neglect and/or irresponsibility an individual. We know that smoking causes lung cancer, but people continue to smoke. We know how HIV is transmitted, but new cases are diagnosed every day....the list goes on....

But I also think it would be very difficult to draw 'a line the sand' to determine what would or would not be covered by Medicare/Medicaid. My grandmother had severe COPD, but never smoked a day in her life. My dad's side of the family has high cholesterol, and I'm slowly inching toward it, despite the fact that I eat very 'heart healthy' (lean poultry and fish are the only meats I eat). I one close friend and several other acquaintances that are HIV positive. My friend contracted it 20+ years ago (due to unprotected sex) but one of the others I mentioned is a woman whose cheating (bisexual) husband gave it to her.

Which of those people should or shouldn't get treatment from a government-funded insurance program???

A final thought on the matter...prison inmates receive dental care in addition to medical care on the taxypayer's dime. It's sad (and by 'sad' I mean f***ed up!) that a murderer, child molester or any other degenerate low-life would get dental care, but not a poor old woman who paid taxes all of her life.
You are correct and thank you for your post. I am an example of someone who has issues with my teeth because of a car accident when I was seventeen. I went through the windshield and knocked six teeth out. I have had a bridge ever since that is very expensive to maintain. Also, my teeth were all loosened and there was debris in my gums from the windshield being shattered. Ever since,,, I have had bad teeth and the car accident was NOT my fault.

There are people that have issues happen in life that aren't always due to neglect and people are ignorant that think that neglect is the cause of all negative things or problems. Its unfair to judge another human being unless you have walked in their shoes. Its also cruel to say that a 60 year old should forget about implants because their old and they need to just live with mediocre teeth and DENTAL care. That is ridiculous. That 60 year old may live until their 98 while a 45 year old receiving dental implants could die in five years. Nobody knows the life expectancy of another human being...only God.

I have been reading some of these posts tonight and they are outrageous to say the least. What is wrong with people who have no compassion and judge others when they know nothing about them?

Last edited by VikingPrincess007; 01-05-2017 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health