Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kansas city or denver skyline?
Kansas City 15 20.27%
Denver 59 79.73%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Nice shots of the Kauffman. Cool building architecturally (though I'm sure people will have some unflattering comparisons to make). Wish we had more unique, interesting architecture like that going up here in Denver!
I don't know... the Denver Art Museum addition is very unique and modern. It's just so hidden. The PAC in KC is in a very visible place, so it's more prominant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,219,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I don't know... the Denver Art Museum addition is very unique and modern. It's just so hidden. The PAC in KC is in a very visible place, so it's more prominant.
Agreed. I quite like our library, too. Plus we have the benefit of some major government offices in our downtown. Unfortunately, few of them have much effect on our skyline, but they are great works of architecture. I just wish we'd build *more* great works of architecture instead of relatively generic "flavor or the year" highrises and apartment complexes in and around the downtown area.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:04 AM

431 posts, read 1,242,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I think Denver vs Minneapolis would have been the better duel and then KC vs Milwaukee for Skyline Battle
Minneapolis has some beautiful buildings and is a more modern skyline than Denver. A building like Wells Fargo in Minneapolis in Denver's skyline would be a HUGE improvement though. That or an all glass building like Devon Tower in Oklahoma City.

The tan building in the center is Wells Fargo

Devon Tower currently under construction in Oklahoma City

Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Agreed. I quite like our library, too. Plus we have the benefit of some major government offices in our downtown. Unfortunately, few of them have much effect on our skyline, but they are great works of architecture. I just wish we'd build *more* great works of architecture instead of relatively generic "flavor or the year" highrises and apartment complexes in and around the downtown area.
Yeah, it's strange how Denver just doesn't seem to be able to put up a very interesting skyscraper. The original design for the Four Seasons had it with a more "pyramidical" (is that a word?) top on it and something like 10 more stories. It would have had a similar shape to the Empire St. Bldg. But apparently budget cuts start at the top when it comes to building skyscrapers. What was a fairly interesting building ended up looking like a "Denver box" with a toothpick on top. Oh well, at least we got the "toothpick" lol!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's strange how Denver just doesn't seem to be able to put up a very interesting skyscraper. The original design for the Four Seasons had it with a more "pyramidical" (is that a word?) top on it and something like 10 more stories. It would have had a similar shape to the Empire St. Bldg. But apparently budget cuts start at the top when it comes to building skyscrapers. What was a fairly interesting building ended up looking like a "Denver box" with a toothpick on top. Oh well, at least we got the "toothpick" lol!
And the new Xcel Energy building near Lodo is pretty bad and looks straight out of 1986. I would like to see a very modern glass skyscraper in Denver, it would really modernize the skyline and give a better impression for visitors. The problem is there just are not that many large corporations HQ'd in Denver like there are in Minneapolis, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. that would build such a building. Austin has seen all of its highrises built as condo towers, maybe that is what is needed in downtown Denver..

Old 03-24-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
And the new Xcel Energy building near Lodo is pretty bad and looks straight out of 1986. I would like to see a very modern glass skyscraper in Denver, it would really modernize the skyline and give a better impression for visitors. The problem is there just are not that many large corporations HQ'd in Denver like there are in Minneapolis, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. that would build such a building. Austin has seen all of its highrises built as condo towers, maybe that is what is needed in downtown Denver..
I doubt we'll even seen any condo towers go up soon, with the housing market what it is. I think there are plenty to buy right now in the Spire, 1 Lincoln Place, and 4 Seasons. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don' think any of those are sold out yet. I'm all for bulding more condos since it puts more people on the streets downtown, but they tend to not be very interesting architecturally speaking.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I doubt we'll even seen any condo towers go up soon, with the housing market what it is. I think there are plenty to buy right now in the Spire, 1 Lincoln Place, and 4 Seasons. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don' think any of those are sold out yet. I'm all for bulding more condos since it puts more people on the streets downtown, but they tend to not be very interesting architecturally speaking.
Vancouver has nice looking condo towers that would look great in downtown Denver. I hope there is development like this at Union Station once the bus terminal/train station are finished in 2013...

Old 03-25-2011, 01:50 AM

785 posts, read 1,883,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
Vancouver has nice looking condo towers that would look great in downtown Denver. I hope there is development like this at Union Station once the bus terminal/train station are finished in 2013...
I dunno, they are fairly run of the mill; totally glass, huge mass of balconies. I really hate balconies like that. For me they completely spoil the lines of buildings.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:52 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,710,889 times
^i agree with the above posters

Old 03-25-2011, 05:56 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,710,889 times
where are the pics of denver?[
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver