Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kansas city or denver skyline?
Kansas City 15 20.27%
Denver 59 79.73%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:23 PM

23 posts, read 89,277 times

Advertisements

So i was just wanting to get peoples perspectives on these 2 skyline. Have these in mind.
(Height,Density,Color,shape,etc...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 02:56 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Denver's is taller. Denver has 36 buildings 100 m or higher; Kansas City has 14. The tallest building in Denver is 37 m taller than the tallest building in KC.

Denver's skyline is much more dense and boxy. KC's has fewer boxes, but there just aren't that many buildings.

Color-wise they are about the same. Green glass, black glass, silver steel, gray, white or rose-colored stone. Pretty much like every city around.

IMO Denver's looks better from more angles. While most pictures of the skyline shoot from East to West to show the mountains, I prefer the views from the south and the west to that of the east.

Kansas City has much better barbeque though.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:48 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
From a distance it's a pretty even tie, I think. You would be hard pressed to distinguish either skyline from numerous others across the midwest unless you were a bit of a skyline geek (which I am), though Denver does have a few benefits from certain angles. The mountains provide some nice framing, for one. In addition, Elitch adds some character. That said, KC from Union Station looks pretty nice, and the WWI memorial doesn't hurt, either. I think Denver looks better from more angles...coming in from Five Points, for example is kind of cool. Denver also has the benefit of Mile High and Coors Field.

Up close I think Denver wins, though not by a lot, and I'm biased. KC just doesn't have their CBD together yet, though it's getting better...and you get almost no view from the Plaza or Westport.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:56 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,241 times
I'd have to say Denver because of the mountains in the background...

The thing that got me about living in Dallas and visiting Kansas City, it that there was so much flat all around. Downtown was typically the only areas with high rises (Overland Park,KS and North Dallas the exception).

I've been in highrises in Miami, and the views were stunning. You could see the flat of the Everglades, then the city, and across the city was the bay, then the highrises along southbeach, and then the ocean...and you could see all that from the 20th floor.

In the plains, you can pretty much tell the world is round...

Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 PM

8 posts, read 36,326 times
The Denver skyline is much more impressive than that of KCMO. Kansas City has many relatively new buildings in the downtown area...mostly all short.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Doesn't even seem close to me. I think KC's skyline is more in line with DTC, not downtown Denver.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:15 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Denver. Not even close.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:51 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
I think Denver vs Minneapolis would have been the better duel and then KC vs Milwaukee for Skyline Battle

Old 10-19-2010, 08:13 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
I grew up in KC, but I love Denver and think it has a better skyline. It has much more density and height. Just driving down 17th St. gives the feeling of driving in NYC (sort of) with its canyon of buildings. KC wins in the architecture comparison though. It has a nice base of beautiful art deco buildings that Denver lacks. If KC could get a couple new buildings in the 50-60 story range, it would really update their skyline. Downtown Denver also wins (IMO) in the active street life comparison to KC, although I hear the new P&L district has brought some life to downtown.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Denver for height and mass, KC for architecture and contrast.

I love Denver, It's one of my favorite towns, if not my favorite. But despite KC's skyline not quite measuring up to Denver any more when it comes to size, I still think it's a more attractive and interesting skyline with the contrast of modern and art deco towers, the Union Station etc. Denver beats out KC is just about every other possible category when comparing urban areas (except maybe food) so I have no problem going with KC when it comes to skylines.

Denver Tech Center? Yea right

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver