Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ???
Salt Lake City 32 26.23%
Denver 90 73.77%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:12 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,724 times

Advertisements

I've been to SLC a number of times and found it much smaller than Denver, similar climate but drier, much closer to the mountains, with nice historic neighborhoods and beautiful vistas up at the foot of the mountains. SLC is not the population center Denver is - it is a smaller part of its metro region, and feels like a smaller city and less vibrant. Univ. of Utah seems to play a big role in the character of the city. I understand LDS thought does not dominate the 180,000 person limits of Salt Lake City but dominates the state (Just to demonstrate, SLC's Mayor was a harsh critic of W. Bush and the Gulf War, and apparently SLC is considered gay friendly??) Several of my friends live there who are not LDS or similar viewpoints, but still love SLC.

Aside from being close to the mountains not sure I can say I'd prefer SLC.

(I'm commenting here on Salt Lake City itself, not the metro area which I didn't really see.)

Old 10-17-2010, 11:07 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koookooo View Post
Which metro area do you think is better? Take into concideration....
-Population
-Scenery
-Traffic
-Pollution
-Airport
-Downtown (skyline,Nightlife)
-Climate
-Culture
-ETC...
Population- Denver
Scenery- SLC, Denver is part of the plains, not mountains
Traffic-SLC has less traffic
Airport-Denver
Downtown-Denver, not a chance for SLC(unless you are into banks)
Climate-SLC
Culture-Denver because I am not mormon

Old 10-30-2011, 08:48 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
I'd say Denver!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:34 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Denver hands down.
Bigger city, more diversity, more cultural offerings.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 PM

6 posts, read 19,239 times
Denver is much more wetter than Salt Lake City. I prefer Denver because it has many fun activities. Salt Lake City is dull

Old 11-26-2015, 11:03 AM

15 posts, read 18,486 times
Populationenver (3 million in metro area compared to 1 million in salt lake)

Scenery:Tie because Denver has more of an awe factor coming off of the plains at the foot of the Rockies, whereas Salt Lake is surrounded by them.

Traffic:Salt Lake is deffinatly less congested than the mouse trap that is I-25.

Pollution:Salt lake simply because it does not have as many people in its metro area.

Airportenver easily because DIA is the 6th busiest in the nation opposed to Salt Lake's which is 25th.

Downtownenver great skyline and many more breweries and bars also more attractive place for 20 somethings because it is more liberal.

Climateenver typically has a more mild climate.

Cultureenver is more diverse with many Asians,Hispanics,and other ethnic groups, while Salt Lake is more just white.

Overall winner is Denver with 5.5 points (.5 for tie and 1 for win) and Salt Lake City with 2.5. Both are absolutely great cities and are much more beautiful then those eyesores in the rust and sun belts.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:19 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid34 View Post

Scenery:Tie because Denver has more of an awe factor coming off of the plains at the foot of the Rockies, whereas Salt Lake is surrounded by them.

Traffic:Salt Lake is deffinatly less congested than the mouse trap that is I-25.

Pollution:Salt lake simply because it does not have as many people in its metro area.

Airportenver easily because DIA is the 6th busiest in the nation opposed to Salt Lake's which is 25th.

Downtownenver great skyline and many more breweries and bars also more attractive place for 20 somethings because it is more liberal.

Cultureenver is more diverse with many Asians,Hispanics,and other ethnic groups, while Salt Lake is more just white.

Overall winner is Denver with 5.5 points (.5 for tie and 1 for win) and Salt Lake City with 2.5. Both are absolutely great cities and are much more beautiful then those eyesores in the rust and sun belts.
1 million? Maybe in Salt Lake County alone, but from Odgen to Provo, which is part of the SLC Metro by most measures, there are easily over 2 million.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:30 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid34 View Post

Pollution in SLC is worse because of geography. Check the American Lung Association website for more specifics.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:11 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLiver View Post
Denver is much more wetter than Salt Lake City. I prefer Denver because it has many fun activities. Salt Lake City is dull
Average annual precipitation is about the same for the two cities:

Salt Lake City

Denver

I agree that Denver is better for cultural activities, but SLC is better for outdoor recreation.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
1 million? Maybe in Salt Lake County alone, but from Odgen to Provo, which is part of the SLC Metro by most measures, there are easily over 2 million.
The Salt Lake CSA encompasses these MSAs: Salt Lake; Ogden-Clearfield; Provo-Orem; Heber (MicroSA) and Summit Park microSA. Population is 2,389,225 (2013 est.) Denver's CSA is 3,277,309. So Denver is close to 50% larger (1 1/2 times the size).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_L...ropolitan_area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combin...tistical_Areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Average annual precipitation is about the same for the two cities:

Salt Lake City

Denver

I agree that Denver is better for cultural activities, but SLC is better for outdoor recreation.
Closer to skiing, yes, but what else is better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver