Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ???
Salt Lake City 32 26.23%
Denver 90 73.77%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 06:17 AM

11 posts, read 8,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
SLC sure has an awesome setting, though, with mountains on all sides and a prehistoric lake on its shores! Denver's setting, besides straddling the beautiful front range, rather bores me.
Who cares about the "setting" when Denver has 100X the amenities and is probably 6X the size of SLC. Winter inversions aren't a joke either. You can literally taste the chemicals in your mouth while trapped in those mountains in SLC. You can actually take full breaths in Denver, and trust me, it's amazing.

Though Utah's beauty is mesmerizing, CO has better mountains, plus dozens of hot springs which Utah lacks.

No comparison here. Salt Lake should be put next to Boise, not Denver.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:18 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,856,746 times
Been to both places a few times. I would say Denver for the availability of flights even though the airport is so far away. However, traffic is bad and the growth there and the left leaning politics makes it unattractive to me now. At one time, thought about a move there, not now.

SLC has much going for it. The main consideration is that it used to be that unless you were LDS, you were not included socially and professionally. I do like their conservative vibe there.

Both would not be on my radar for a move.

Old 01-12-2022, 05:14 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,601 times
I use to travel to SLC a lot for work pre covid and know a few there. ALso my old boss lived there for a while.

The mormon issue is real. My boss's kids struggled quite a bit from it. Everyone I know there is mormon. They are all nice friendly people, but I dont think deep friendships are easily made and you can be isolated.

SLC is nice and clean. Denver is looking gross lately. The homeless will become a major issue in hte future. Im not a city person but I think I like SLC better. The proximity of hte mountains is huge in SLC. Having little kids we rarely use hte mountains anyway.

SLC airport > DIA.

Inversions are very real and I wouldnt want to deal with them. If you can live in hte mountains to avoid them I would. I think SLC gets hotter in hte summer.

Other than hte mormon factor and inversions Id say SLC > DEN.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:42 PM

539 posts, read 393,106 times
In Salt Lake City access to the mountain is so much quicker, so that's a no brainer if mountain access from a big city is your number 1. I've never lived in Salt Lake City though, only visited. I have lived in Denver, though, and enjoyed living there.

This was not in the criteria, but I will say that a friend of mine, who I think of as a super gregarious person and an excellent skier (She does ski patrol) surprisingly to me found it really difficult to make friends in SLC when she and her husband moved there. I hate to bring up religion or anything like that, but she felt that the large Mormon presence was a big part of that and that it was harder to fit it, not being Mormon. Sometimes though in any new city it just takes time.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:23 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
In Salt Lake City…, not being Mormon…Sometimes though in any new city it just takes time.
No.
Mormons shun the “others”.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:18 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
No.
Mormons shun the “others”.
No, they don't. Mormons are very involved with their church and family activities, and they generally have a fairly large group of friends within their congregation. But they absolutely do not go out of their way to "shun the others." All you're doing is promoting a negative stereotype that simply isn't true.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:24 AM

451 posts, read 422,357 times
Can't add much but comment on ease to take train to salt lake Airport. Not sure how it works in Denver.

Airport is very nice also but good walk to bag claim from SW gates.

Lots of folks arriving to ski now

Old 01-28-2022, 09:28 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
Can't add much but comment on ease to take train to salt lake Airport. Not sure how it works in Denver.

Airport is very nice also but good walk to bag claim from SW gates.

Lots of folks arriving to ski now
Denver has a train that goes from Union Station downtown to the airport.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:43 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No, they don't. Mormons are very involved with their church and family activities, and they generally have a fairly large group of friends within their congregation. But they absolutely do not go out of their way to "shun the others." All you're doing is promoting a negative stereotype that simply isn't true.
I am repeating words said to me by a Mormon living just north of SLC.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:56 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm sure there are those who shun others. But I think the larger issue is LDS people's lives revolve around church, work, family & existing friends (who are usually from church). They don't have time for anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver