Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ???
Salt Lake City 32 26.23%
Denver 90 73.77%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 03:52 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,115,072 times

Advertisements

Denver just seems to have more of the amenities that I desire. If I wanted to scale my life back and didn't care about traveling, entertainment, and all that other jazz, SLC would probably be more than suitable. Same with a place like Boise. I've thought a great deal about moving to a smaller town just to "get away from it all". But it usually boils down to having access to the big city amenities at the present time. One day I could see myself somewhere like Flagstaff, Boise, Spokane, or SLC.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:20 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm sure there are those who shun others. But I think the larger issue is LDS people's lives revolve around church, work, family & existing friends (who are usually from church). They don't have time for anything else.
It's passive, and not malicious, but it is a form of shunning. If you're not LDS, just because of the extremely deep tendrils the church has in its members, non-LDS people are on the outside looking in. This phenomenon is far more prevalent with LDS than any other large religion in America.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:00 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
This phenomenon is far more prevalent with LDS than any other large religion in America.
Are you kidding? Mormons may not be the most outgoing religious group in terms of social interaction with their non-Mormon neighbors and co-workers, but their leaders are constantly trying to teach them to be more outgoing and friendly to the non-LDS people they come in contact with. Jehovah's Witnesses, on the other hand, are actually instructed to shun their own family members who leave the faith and to not interact socially with people outside the group. Huge difference there.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:22 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Mormons... Jehovah's Witnesses
6.5M vs 1.3M, USA population
16.5M vs 8.7M worldwide

Old 01-31-2022, 11:07 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
It's passive, and not malicious, but it is a form of shunning. If you're not LDS, just because of the extremely deep tendrils the church has in its members, non-LDS people are on the outside looking in. This phenomenon is far more prevalent with LDS than any other large religion in America.
Any large dominant subgroup of the population tends to view outsiders as “not one of us.” There’s plenty of that going around, regardless of location or religious affiliation.

We live in an area where nonranchers have been painted as bad stewards of natural resources. Any person who has looked around in the area carefully can see that who is a good steward and who is not does NOT fall along the aggie-nonaggie line. Not even close on that prejudice!

And it gets worse. The outsiders are painted as being not only bad caretakers, they are also commies or kneejerk liberals or antipolice or anti-American or treehuggers or bambi-lovers or “rich” or “elitist” yadayadayada. Pablum for the strident ignorati.

I’ll take Mormon “shunning” any day over outright aggression, violence, criminal behaviors. That better fits the notion of Live And Let Live than the Hatriot BS.

Admittedly, the above doesn’t fall under Denver vs SLC. But arguments over Mormon shunning don’t, either.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:49 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
6.5M vs 1.3M, USA population
16.5M vs 8.7M worldwide
So what? Jws are taught to shun. Mormons are taught not to.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:39 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So what? Jws are taught to shun. Mormons are taught not to.
The irony of that statement is just too too rich. Thread closed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-01-2022 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver