Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2021, 09:52 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,693,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
$512K in 2012!?? That's crazy, IMHO. Was it a new house, or a used one?

I would never pay higher than 600K even now, in 2021-22 for these wooden barracks that are colloquially known as "houses" here in the whole North America (Canada included).

More than half of million of dollars, for what? For something that always needs work, due to constantly deteriiorating (almost like a ... car?) and which you cannot pass to the next generation...
It was a new build, semi custom overlooking open space with 180 degree views of the front range. Today the same houses are selling for close to a million.

So it needed no work. LOL. I put literally nothing into it the seven years we lived there. Wait I sealed the pavers. So there was $100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 11:05 PM

577 posts, read 1,474,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
It was a new build, semi custom overlooking open space with 180 degree views of the front range. Today the same houses are selling for close to a million.
Thanks for clarifying. Did it come with a finished basement, at least? :-)

Still, for that amount of money (or a million nowadays), I would build an ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) house, not a wooden barrack. You know, concrete, brick, and mortar - truly like European houses - which you can pass to your next generation without too much wear-out.

Quote:
So it needed no work. LOL. I put literally nothing into it the seven years we lived there. Wait I sealed the pavers. So there was $100.
My point about work to be done, is about it getting worn out quite easily, over quite short period of time. You know, having to maintain its wood exterior siding and thus having to repaint it (in Canada at least you can get vinyl siding which survives big winter storms and it is maintenance-free. Here in Colorado such siding material is dreaded here - being considered kind of c**p and shaite material). Not to mention the stupid asphalt shingles (crappiest form of "roofing" here in North America).

Perhaps you had no work to do on it due to relatively short time of owning and inhabiting it. Being also new. Obviously when you sold it didn't look exactly as it was when you bought it :-).

Let me tell you this - A house in Europe built even in 1960, is considered YOUNG. They last FOREVER, even surviving fires without any major issues.

There is a reason why commercial buildings (especially those to be leased out) or Government institution buildings, are built with concrete, brick, and mortar. And not with damn wood sticks!

Old 12-12-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Still, for that amount of money (or a million nowadays), I would build an ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) house, not a wooden barrack. You know, concrete, brick, and mortar - truly like European houses - which you can pass to your next generation without too much wear-out.

My point about work to be done, is about it getting worn out quite easily, over quite short period of time. You know, having to maintain its wood exterior siding and thus having to repaint it (in Canada at least you can get vinyl siding which survives big winter storms and it is maintenance-free. Here in Colorado such siding material is dreaded here - being considered kind of c**p and shaite material). Not to mention the stupid asphalt shingles (crappiest form of "roofing" here in North America).

Perhaps you had no work to do on it due to relatively short time of owning and inhabiting it. Being also new. Obviously when you sold it didn't look exactly as it was when you bought it :-).

Let me tell you this - A house in Europe built even in 1960, is considered YOUNG. They last FOREVER, even surviving fires without any major issues.

There is a reason why commercial buildings (especially those to be leased out) or Government institution buildings, are built with concrete, brick, and mortar. And not with damn wood sticks!
Basement was a walkout and completely finished. Fireplaces on every floor. Patios with views on every floor. I could go on. It was a nice house. You have a bone to pick about materials, but seem to lose sight of how the market views homes in Colorado right now.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:46 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:

Complete BS. Vinyl siding is NOT maintenance free. It can warp in excessive heat. It gets brittle with excessive cold. Any color other than white suffers from sun fade, and it's very susceptible to hail damage. Hardiplank > vinyl siding.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 12-12-2021 at 09:15 AM..

Old 12-12-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Complete BS. Vinyl siding is NOT maintenance free. It can warp in excessive heat. It gets brittle with excessive cold. Any color other than white suffers from sun fade, and it's very susceptible to hail damage. Hardiplank > vinyl siding.
Not in Canada! There was also hail in Waterloo, ON, Canada, and winter storms with 100km/h winds, and super-cold temps like -35 degrees Celsius.

And unbearable, super-hot and humid summers, with lot of direct sun heat.
My vinlyl siding did not crack, nor warp.

Not sure what is it with the quality of vinyl siding here in Colorado...

Old 12-12-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Basement was a walkout and completely finished. Fireplaces on every floor. Patios with views on every floor. I could go on. It was a nice house. You have a bone to pick about materials, but seem to lose sight of how the market views homes in Colorado right now.
I hate fireplaces - not sure what's with this obsession with fireplaces here in Colorado
Useless, waste of energy, not energy efficient.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I hate fireplaces - not sure what's with this obsession with fireplaces here in Colorado
Useless, waste of energy, not energy efficient.
You sound like a happy person.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:35 AM

Yeah, happy and practical :-)
Your house seemed nice, indeed.

I'm currently looking to buy a home, in the Broomfield - Westmister - Thornton - Northglenn area, priced below 600K (without bankster). Tough chance getting a good one without too-high HOA, and without the typical carpet . Inventories seems to be very low, and just wondering when we'll we ever be outside a "seller's market", without homes getting sold within one rotation of this Earth, and almost no questions asked...

Old 12-13-2021, 10:37 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
Until inventory gets above 4 months, this will continue to be a white hot market.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:56 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Yeah, happy and practical :-)
Your house seemed nice, indeed.

I'm currently looking to buy a home, in the Broomfield - Westmister - Thornton - Northglenn area, priced below 600K (without bankster). Tough chance getting a good one without too-high HOA, and without the typical carpet . Inventories seems to be very low, and just wondering when we'll we ever be outside a "seller's market", without homes getting sold within one rotation of this Earth, and almost no questions asked...
If you aren't finding something suitable now I'm going to guess the answer to your question is never. Between what you will perceive as a lack of quality or "fair" price the market will just continue to go past what you feel is a comfortable price to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver